Texas Mid-Amateur Set for Oct. 2-4
Oak Hills Country Club in San Antonio will host the 37th playing of the Texas Mid-Amateur from Oct. 2-4.
This will be the first Texas Mid-Amateur and eighth TGA championship contested at Oak Hills Country Club. Most recently, in 2016 the club hosted the 107th Texas Amateur, won by Frederick Wedel. Oak Hills was also the site of the 2015 Texas Senior Amateur and 2013 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play, both won by Mike Booker.
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Oak Hills Country Club,” said John Cochran IV, TGA Director of Competitions. “The club has a long history of supporting amateur golf and we are confident the newly renovated course will rigorously test every facet of a player’s game and identify a worthy champion.”
Founded in 1922, Oak Hills Country Club was designed by A.W. Tillinghast, one of the giants in the “Golden Age” of golf course architecture in America. Tillinghast’s strategic design philosophy has stood the test of time and is clearly evident throughout Oak Hills. Tree-lined fairways, bunker-protected greens and contoured putting surfaces are elegantly combined to demand the most from a golfer’s shot-making and course management skills.
Over the years numerous upgrades have been made at Oak Hills, and in 2017, Tripp Davis completed an extensive $6.5 million restoration that has improved playing conditions, fortified the course’s original design elements and revitalized its natural beauty.
The Texas Mid-Amateur is open to male amateurs with a World Handicap System Index of 8.4 or less, have reached the age of 25 by the tournament start date and are current Texas residents.
The starting field will include 132 players, who earned entry into the championship through an exemption category or 18-hole sectional qualifying at one of 13 sites across the state from July 22 – Sept. 21.
Format for the championship is 54 holes individual stoke play. All contestants will play 18 holes Oct. 2-3. After 36 holes the field will be cut to the low 54 players and ties heading into the final round. In addition to the overall champion, an award will be given to the Low Mid-Master (40-plus years of age).
At the 2019 championship hosted by Maridoe Golf Club in Carrollton, Christopher Wheeler of Addison posted a 54-hole score of 2-under-par 214 for a convincing five-shot victory over runner-up Colby Harwell of San Antonio, who was pursuing his third straight title. Marcus Jones of Argyle earned Low Mid-Master recognition with a 5-over 221 total.
Both Wheeler and Harwell are set to compete at Oak Hills and will be joined by three other Texas Mid-Amateur past champions. They are Josh Irving of Dallas (2016) Clay Hodge of Bryan (2013) and Rob Couture of Dallas (2008).
Among the other notable players in this year’s starting field include reigning Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play champion Aaron Hickman of Tyler, 2019 Texas Senior Amateur champion Gary Durbin of Houston and John Pierce of San Antonio and Broc Haymon of League City, the 2019 Senior and South Regional Players of the Year, respectively.
Live scoring updates and daily recaps, as well as tee-times and pairings, will be available once the action gets underway from Oak Hills.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes