Comegys, Honea and Ballis Win Divisions at Bluebonnet Championship
Briefly: Matthew Comegys wins the Boys 15-18 Division of the Bluebonnet Championship after making par on the first playoff hole at Brownwood Country Club. Ryann Honea won the Girls 12-18 Division, while Bowen Ballis won the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Winners: Comegys and Honea have now won back-to-back Legends Junior Tour Events after winning at the North Texas Classic earlier this month. Plano’s Comegys was the overnight leader after round one of the Bluebonnet Championship and shot rounds of 65-72 to get to 7-under overall and into a tie for first. Comegys found the rough on the left of hole No. 1, which was the first sudden-death playoff hole. He managed to hit his second shot up on the front of the green and then two putted for par to win the championship. San Angelo’s Honea shot 4-under 68 on Sunday to vault up the leaderboard and into first place and two strokes ahead of the Girls 12-18 Division. Ballis continued his good play and made seven birdies on the day, five of which came on the back nine, and posted a final round score of 5-under 67. Ballis claims the Boys 14 & Under Division title by seven shots after finishing with an overall score of 6-under 138.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Shreveport’s Holden Webb finished second after making bogey on the first playoff hole. He played well on Sunday, making birdie on his final three holes to shoot 4-under and get to 7-under overall. Trent Griessel and Ty Holbrook finished tied for third at 5-under, while Christian Clark and Connor Adams finished tied for fifth. Treed Huang, Ben Delarosa, Davis Ovard and Jack Lawlor tied for seventh and rounded out the top 10. In the Girls 12-18 Division Dallas’ Sophie Biediger used a final round score of 1-under 71 to finish in second place at 3-over 147. Annika Saidleman of Austin rounds out the top three at 4-over 148, after recording a final round score of 1-over 73. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Plano’s Rhett O’Rear finished runner up at 1-over 145 after posting a final round score of 2-over 74. Lakeway’s Tyler Neidel and Katy’s Shaunak Nair both finished tied for third at 3-over 147 after final round scores of even-par 72
Golf Course: Brownwood Country Club has hosted the Bluebonnet Championship every year since its inception in 2000. The club sits in central Texas and features ample opportunities for players to go low and make birdies. The par-72 layout stretches to 6,300 yards for the boys and 5,800 yards for the girls. The tournament will return to Brownwood Country Club and it’s original May date in 2021.
Tournament Format: The Bluebonnet Championship is a 36-hole stroke play event for players ages 12-19 that have a valid membership with a member of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The tournament field featured 120 players across three divisions: Boys 15-18, Boys 14 & Under and Girls 12-18.
Weather: The wind was blowing at Brownwood Country Club for the first round. Temperatures crept up into the mid-90s in the afternoon and the steady wind continued at 15 miles per hour with gusts upwards of 30 miles per hour.
What’s Next: The Legends Junior Tour heads down to Corpus Christi Country Club for the James A. Ragan Memorial on Oct. 11-12. The 84-player field will take on the windy challenges that present themselves down on the Texas coast.
For more information about the Bluebonnet Championship, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post John Derrick Wins the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur
WACO – Most golfers know how important course knowledge is when it comes to certain venues. The trickier the track, the more crucial it is to know the lay of the land. ... 4 Comments 14 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Craig Hurlbert Leads 83rd Texas Senior Amateur through 36 Holes
WACO – Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia is 18 holes away from his fifth amateur victory of the year. He says the key for him to win the 83rd Texas Senior ... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Hurlbert, Smith Tied for 83rd Texas Senior Amateur Lead
WACO – Only two players broke par at venerable Ridgewood Country Club on Friday during the first round of the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur. Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia and Houston’s Scott ... 4 Likes
- Round 1 of the 83rd #TexasSeniorAm is underway at Ridgewood Country Club. Follow your favorite senior amateurs' progress with our live, hole-by-hole scoring: https://t.co/XasNhndFBa 1 CommentsEllen Bordelon Derrick Don Bord here is where you can follow the scores!4 Likes
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes