Adams, Webster, O’Rear Win at James A. Ragan Memorial
Briefly: Dallas’s Connor Adams holds onto his first round lead and wins the Boys 15-18 Division of the James A. Ragan Memorial at Corpus Christi Country Club. Austin’s Darrelyn Webster wins Girls 12-18 Division by seven shots, while Rhett O’Rear won the 14 & Under Division in come from behind fashion.
Leaders: Adams wins the Boys 15-18 Division at 5-under 139, after a final round score of 2-under 70. He used some late round heroics to seal the deal. Adams holed a 40-foot birdie putt on 17, and a clutch up-and-down from 80 yards on 18 to win by one. Webster ran away from the field after posting a final round score of 3-under 69 to finish at 3-under 141 for the tournament. She made five birdies on the round, including a strong finish with birdies on both 17 and 18. O’Rear started the day six shots off the lead in the Boys 14 & Under Division. O’Rear used three birdies and an eagle to post a round of 2-under 70 and secure the win at 2-over 146 for the tournament.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Austin’s Trevor Mierl finished in second at 4-under 140, after a final round of 3-under 69. Anthony Ponce III of League City used a final round score of 2-under 70 to move into third place at 3-under 141. San Antonio’s Patrick Kahanek finished fourth place at even par 144, and Davis Ovard of Frisco rounds out the top five in fifth at 1-over 145. Murphy’s Brecklyn Flanagan finished runner up in the Girls 12-18 Division at 4-over 148, after a final score of 1-under 71. Mia Nixon of Canton finished in third at 5-over 149. Austin’s Nicholas Logis finished in solo second at 3-over 147 after a final round score of 5-over 77. Samuel Padua of Cedar Park and McAllen’s Dylan Villareal finished tied for third at 5-over 149, after both posting a final round score of 2-over 74.
Course: The course features an open layout that works its way through a residential area and maneuver its way across hills and bodies of water. Tall palm trees surround the property and the wind plays a huge factor into each shot for the player. The course is being played around 6,500 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,100 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and almost 5,800 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division.
Course History: Corpus Christi Country Club has hosted the James A. Ragan Memorial since 2017. The Club was originally opened in 1909 but a hurricane destroyed the original course in 1919. John Bredemus designed the new layout in 1922 and the club expanded to 18 holes in 1938. Robert Trent Jones Sr. was tasked with a redesign in 1964 and the course reopened January of 1965 and has hosted numerous top-level amateur events along the way.
Tournament Format: The tournament is a 36-hole stroke play event for players ages 12-18 that are members of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. Players completed 18 holes on Sunday and play the final 18 holes on Monday.
Weather: Temperatures climbed into the low 90’s this afternoon, with calm winds and gusts of 10-15 miles per hour.
About James: James Ragan started playing on the LJT in 2008 and recorded three top-25 finishes. The Corpus Christi native won the 2010 Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic and earned a spot in the Jackie Burke Cup Matches. He would go on to win the LJT’s first Sportsmanship Award and the next year the award was named after him. Ragan was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in 2006, which is a rare type of pediatric cancer. He founds “Triumph Over Kid Cancer” which is an organization that has raised more than $3 million dollars for pediatric cancer research. James passed away in 2014 but TOKC has kept going with the help of the Ragan family.
About TOKC: Founded by James Ragan in 2007, Triumph Over Kid Cancer is dedicated to improving the lives of children with cancer by raising their spirits, raising the public’s awareness and funding research to improve the treatment and survivability of pediatric cancers.
What’s Next: The LJT heads to Eagle Pointe Golf Club in Mont Belvieu for the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational on October 31 – November 1. For more information on the tournament, click here.
- 🏆 Marian Barker carded rounds of 74-77-70 at Ridglea Country Club to claim the 2020 Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship!
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-senior-stroke-play-championship-2020-leaderboard
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/09/30/marian-barker-wins-2020-womens-senior-stroke-play/ 5 Likes
- Ryan O’Rear won the 37th Texas Mid-Amateur late Sunday afternoon after defeating two-time champion Colby Harwell on the seventh sudden-death playoff hole at Oak Hills Country Club. The 29-year-old from Leander captures the victory with a 72-hole total of 3-under ... 24 Likes
- Padden Nelson's rounds of 67-69 give the 40-year-old a three-shot lead over Johnathan Schnitzer heading into Sunday at Oak Hills Country Club San Antonio. Nelson seeks his first TGA major championship with 18 holes to play. #TexasMidAm
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/10/03/padden-nelson-holds-lead-at-37th-texas-mid-amateur/
... 1 CommentsThought scores would be lower at OHCC.4 Likes
- Austen Fulmer leads the #TexasMidAm after an opening 5-under-par 66 Oak Hills Country Club San Antonio. The 38-year-old will carry a one-stroke lead into Saturday's second round.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/10/02/austen-fulmer-leads-37th-texas-mid-amateur/
🔗 Leaderboard: https://txga.org/texas-mid-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 7 Likes
- Sulphur Springs Country Club Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome #LastCall to join us as we head East for our next #FunGolf Play Day!⠀
📍 Sulphur Springs Country Club
📅 Fri., October 9 @ 1:30 PM Shotgun Start
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Food ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post John Derrick Wins the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur
WACO – Most golfers know how important course knowledge is when it comes to certain venues. The trickier the track, the more crucial it is to know the lay of the land. ... 7 CommentsWell played John. There was some great players in the tournament and the course playing its most difficult.Woo hoo! Congrats!Congratulations JD! Well played my friend ...👍26 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Craig Hurlbert Leads 83rd Texas Senior Amateur through 36 Holes
WACO – Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia is 18 holes away from his fifth amateur victory of the year. He says the key for him to win the 83rd Texas Senior ... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Hurlbert, Smith Tied for 83rd Texas Senior Amateur Lead
WACO – Only two players broke par at venerable Ridgewood Country Club on Friday during the first round of the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur. Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia and Houston’s Scott ... 4 Likes
- Round 1 of the 83rd #TexasSeniorAm is underway at Ridgewood Country Club. Follow your favorite senior amateurs' progress with our live, hole-by-hole scoring: https://t.co/XasNhndFBa 3 CommentsThis was my first TGA tournament and I had a really great time and met the nicest ladies! I didn't ...It’s about time you let someone else win!Karen Fiducia I played too well yesterday which put me in a higher flight. If I shot the game I ...Don Bord here is where you can follow the scores!4 Likes
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes