Watts, Nguyen and Burkholder Lead Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational
Mont Belvieu – Kevin Watts shoots 3-under 68 at Eagle Pointe Golf Club and leads the Boys 15-18 Division of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational. Lauren Nguyen leads the Girls 12-18 Division at even-par, while Finn Burkholder leads the Boys 14 & Under Division at 1-under.
- Kevin Watts 68
- Bryant Hiskey 69
- Preston Rouse 69
- Shoichiro Kato 70
- Two tied 71
- Lauren Nguyen 71
- Maelynn Kim 76
- Emily Mu 77
- Avery Thompson 77
- Chaemin Kim 77
Boys 14 & Under
- Finn Burkholder 70
- Brooks Harper 71
- Blake Burt 72
- Jason Schwartz 74
- Two Tied 75
Leaders: Watts is looking to win his first LJT event after finishing second at the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational in 2019. The Dallas native made three birdies and zero bogeys on Saturday to take a one-stroke lead in the Boys 15-18 Division. Nguyen, who is the reigning LJT Girls Player of the Year leads the Girls 12-18 Division after making three birdies and three bogeys in the first round. She finished sixth in last year’s Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational. The Woodlands’ Burkholder started his first round with a double-bogey 7 on No. 1, but settled down making four birdies in his final 17 holes including a bogey-free final nine holes.
In Contention: Trailing Watts in the Boys 15-18 Division are Houston’s Preston Rouse and Bryant Hiskey, who both sit at 2-under 69. Austin’s Shoichiro Kato sits alone in fourth at 1-under, while Van Miller of Katy and Matthew Spaulding of Spring are tied for fifth at even-par. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Katy’s Maelynn Kim trails Nguyen by five strokes after shooting 5-over 76 on Saturday. Five players are tied for third in the division at 6-over. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Dallas’ Brooks Harper is in second at even-par, followed by Austin’s Blake Burt at 1-over and Bellaire’s Jason Schwartz at 3-over.
Event Format: The Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational is a 36-hole stroke play event with players competing in three divisions: Boys 15-18, Girls 12-18 and Boys 14 & Under. The field was selected using exemptions from Texas Junior Golf Alliance Events throughout the year and through the LJT Player of the Year Standings which players earn points in by competing in Alliance events.
About the Texas Junior Golf Alliance: The Texas Junior Golf Alliance was formed in 2012 and offers junior golfers a clear path to the best tournaments in Texas. The alliance is made up of the Legends Junior Tour, the South Texas PGA, the North Texas PGA and the Houston Golf Association. The alliance allows players a chance to compete at all levels and to grow their games as they progress.
Weather: Temperatures stayed in the mid-60s throughout the day and crept up to 70 degrees on Saturday. Players faced little to no wind in the first round and enjoyed sunshine throughout the afternoon.
Golf Course: Eagle Pointe Golf Club opened for play in 1999 and was designed by Rick Forester. The rolling hills and elevation changes make Eagle Pointe very different from most Houston area course. The fairways are surrounded by towering pine trees and the Cherry Point Gully weaves its way through the course, while the Old River is the boundary on several holes. The course stretches out to almost 7,000 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,500 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and 5,900 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division.
What’s next: The Final Round of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational is scheduled for an 8:00 am start on Sunday, Nov. 1 with tee times going until 12:00 pm off the No. 1 tee. At the conclusion of play on Sunday, the top finishers will be awarded.
What’s at Stake: The event is ranked by Golfweek as well as Junior Golf Scoreboard and players are competing for points towards the LJT Player of the Year Award and a spot on their respective Jackie Burke Cup teams. The Legends Junior Tour Players of the Year will be determined following this weekend.
For more information on the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational, click here.
- Looking for #FreeGolf? Follow the TGA across our social media channels for your chance to win! Subscribe today to @TexasGolfAssoc Twitter Alerts by clicking the "🔔+" icon on our Twitter profile to get notified of our February FREE GOLF #giveaway!
... 2 Likes
- Which #FunGolf Play Day do you want to attend most? Don't see your top choice on the list? #TagAFriend and #TellUs using #TGAFunGolf21. View full Fun Golf event list here: https://www.txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any&event_type=36
A) Texas Star Golf Course
B) White Bluff Resort ...
- Drop your answers below ⬇️
📆 Event Calendar Available at: https://www.txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any
- 12 Players Invited to 2021 Curtis Cup Practice Session The USGA has invited 12 top female amateur golfers to take part in a 2021 Curtis Cup practice session at Lake Nona in Orlando, Fla., later this month. 1 Likes
- 📢 Registration Now Open 📢
TGA Member Clubs/Facilities, don't miss the opportunity to play against each other in our annual team match play competition, the #TexasLeaguePlay! Learn more and sign up today: https://www.txga.org/texas-league-play-general-information-2021 1 Likes
- Lone Star Golf December 2020Champions GC Shines at 75th U.S. Women's Open Facing more challenges, stress and extraordinary complications than imaginable, Champions Golf Course Shines, executing an unforgettable 75th U.S. Women's Open! Follow the link for the full story. #LoneStarGolf
https://qoo.ly/39utfdce2f7-0f4dcfcc7e-# 3 Likes
- Timeline Photos #TGAMembers don't miss this month's 48-hour #TexasTuesday deal! Save up to 50% off TGA-customized #UnderArmour apparel & #ClubGlove bags. Check your email for access to the Texas Tuesday Vault! Not a member? Sign up today! https://buff.ly/3gRu264 #TGAPlayersBox 1 Likes
- #WomenWorthWatching We believe that women's #golf is worth watching. But did you know that of all #sports covered in America, only 4 percent feature #female #athletes?
Join the conversation #WomenWorthWatching
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/women-worth-watching.html 2 Likes
- Tillie Claggett Makes LPGA Debut at the VOA Classic 👏 Good luck, Tillie Claggett! #VOAClassic 3 Likes