Watts, Nguyen and Shwartz Win at Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational
Mont Belvieu – Kevin Watts wins the Boys 15-18 Division of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational at Eagle Pointe Golf Club. Lauren Nguyen wins the Girls 12-18 Division, while Jason Shwartz wins the Boys 14 & Under Division.
- Kevin Watts 140
- Shoichiro Kato 141
- Matthew Spaulding 141
- Tyler Gardner 143
- Will Jordan 145
- Lauren Nguyen 142
- Jiyu Han 150
- Julia Vollmer 150
- Maelynn Kim 152
- Sydney Williams 152
Boys 14 & Under
- Jason Shwartz 142
- Blake Burt 145
- Brooks Harper 145
- Charlie Wylie 151
- Finn Burkholder 151
Champions: Colleyville’s Watts wins the Boys 15-18 Division by one stroke after posting rounds of 68-72 to get to 2-under overall. This is Watts’ first victory with the Legends Junior Tour as he improved on his runner-up finish at this event in 2019. Katy’s Nguyen won the Girls 12-18 Division after shooting consecutive rounds of even-par 71 at Eagle Pointe Golf Club. She added three more birdies in the final round bringing her total up to six for 36 holes. This is her second victory on the Legends Junior Tour in 2020. Bellaire’s Shwartz picks up his first victory with the LJT after shooting 3-under 68 in the final round. He accumulated seven birdies on Sunday to bring his total up to nine and finished three shots ahead of the field.
Top Finishers: Austin’s Shoichiro Kato and Spring’s Matthew Spaulding finished runner-up in the Boys 15-18 Division. Houston’s Tyler Gardner finished fourth, followed by The Woodlands’ Will Jordan in fifth and Beach City’s Grant Doggett in sixth. Jake Maggert and Preston Rouse tied for seventh in the division. Cedar Park’s Jiyu Han and San Antonio’s Julia Vollmer tied for second in the Girls 12-18 Division, while Katy’s Maelynn Kim and Frisco’s Sydney Williams tied for fourth. Austin’s Blake Burke and Dallas’ Brooks Harper tied for second in the Boys 14 & Under Division, while Houston’s Charlie Wylie and The Woodlands’ Finn Burkholder finished tied for fourth.
About the Texas Junior Golf Alliance: The Texas Junior Golf Alliance was formed in 2012 and offers junior golfers a clear path to the best tournaments in Texas. The alliance is made up of the Legends Junior Tour, the Southern Texas PGA, the Northern Texas PGA and the Houston Golf Association. The alliance allows players a chance to compete at all levels and to grow their games as they progress.
Weather: Temperatures started in the 60s but stayed in the low 70s throughout the afternoon in Mont Belvieu. The wind picked up on Sunday, staying around 10 miles per hour consistently and gusting upwards of 20 m.p.h.
Golf Course: Eagle Pointe Golf Club opened for play in 1999 and was designed by Rick Forester. The rolling hills and elevation changes make Eagle Pointe very different from most Houston area course. The fairways are surrounded by towering pine trees and the Cherry Point Gully weaves its way through the course, while the Old River is the boundary on several holes. The course stretches out to almost 7,000 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,500 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and 5,900 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division.
What’s next: The Legends Junior Tour season finishes up with the Jackie Burke Cup matches at The Clubs at Houston Oaks on Nov. 14-15. The Jackie Burke Cup features the top players from the LJT Player of the Year Standings competing against each other in 12-player teams based on their locations. The North Team looks to win its seventh straight this year and leads the overall series 8-7 over the South Team.
For more information on the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational, click here.
- Giving Tuesday Play Day- Crown Colony Country Club Event Portal :: Join us on Dec. 1 at Crown Colony Golf & Pro Shop for our 2-Person Scramble TGA #FunGolf Play Day! This 18-hole "Crown Jewel" is a fantastic getaway for any #golf enthusiast! Nestled in the tall pine trees of #EastTexas, ... 2 Likes
- Lone Star Golf October 2020Engage with the TGA: Texas Bucket List What's on your #TexasGolf bucket list? Take our brief survey for your chance to win a #FunGolf Play Day for two at one of our upcoming Dec. 1 Play Days. Follow the #LoneStarGolf link for details!
- 5 Things to Know: Fall Golf and World Handicap System October often signals the end of the season for many golfers, but opportunities still remain to post scores toward your Handicap Index. Here are 5 things to know about fall golf. 1 Likes
- TGA Players Box #THANKYOU for a record-breaking sellout this #TexasTuesday! Stay tuned for November's Texas Tuesday deal. Skip the wait & keep the deals coming when you sign up for the #TGAPlayersBox. Enjoy $30 off your first box when you join by Oct. ... 1 Likes
- 👏 Congratulations, Ashley Yen, on receiving the 2020 USGA-AJGA Presidents' Leadership Award! You are truly a leader on and off the course! Way to represent the state of Texas!
🔗 Learn More: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/10/usga-ajga-presidents-leadership-award-2020-yen-creamean.html#returnable
Legends Junior Tour | United States Golf ... 1 CommentsCongrats Ashley!7 Likes
- 🏆 Marian Barker carded rounds of 74-77-70 at Ridglea Country Club to claim the 2020 Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship!
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-senior-stroke-play-championship-2020-leaderboard
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/09/30/marian-barker-wins-2020-womens-senior-stroke-play/ 5 Likes
- Ryan O’Rear won the 37th Texas Mid-Amateur late Sunday afternoon after defeating two-time champion Colby Harwell on the seventh sudden-death playoff hole at Oak Hills Country Club. The 29-year-old from Leander captures the victory with a 72-hole total of 3-under ... 24 Likes
- Padden Nelson's rounds of 67-69 give the 40-year-old a three-shot lead over Johnathan Schnitzer heading into Sunday at Oak Hills Country Club San Antonio. Nelson seeks his first TGA major championship with 18 holes to play. #TexasMidAm
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/10/03/padden-nelson-holds-lead-at-37th-texas-mid-amateur/
... 1 CommentsThought scores would be lower at OHCC.4 Likes
- Austen Fulmer leads the #TexasMidAm after an opening 5-under-par 66 Oak Hills Country Club San Antonio. The 38-year-old will carry a one-stroke lead into Saturday's second round.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/10/02/austen-fulmer-leads-37th-texas-mid-amateur/
🔗 Leaderboard: https://txga.org/texas-mid-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 7 Likes
- Sulphur Springs Country Club Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome #LastCall to join us as we head East for our next #FunGolf Play Day!⠀
📍 Sulphur Springs Country Club
📅 Fri., October 9 @ 1:30 PM Shotgun Start
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Food ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post John Derrick Wins the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur
WACO – Most golfers know how important course knowledge is when it comes to certain venues. The trickier the track, the more crucial it is to know the lay of the land. ... 7 CommentsWell played John. There was some great players in the tournament and the course playing its most difficult.Woo hoo! Congrats!Congratulations JD! Well played my friend ...👍26 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Craig Hurlbert Leads 83rd Texas Senior Amateur through 36 Holes
WACO – Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia is 18 holes away from his fifth amateur victory of the year. He says the key for him to win the 83rd Texas Senior ... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Hurlbert, Smith Tied for 83rd Texas Senior Amateur Lead
WACO – Only two players broke par at venerable Ridgewood Country Club on Friday during the first round of the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur. Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia and Houston’s Scott ... 4 Likes
- Round 1 of the 83rd #TexasSeniorAm is underway at Ridgewood Country Club. Follow your favorite senior amateurs' progress with our live, hole-by-hole scoring: https://t.co/XasNhndFBa 3 CommentsThis was my first TGA tournament and I had a really great time and met the nicest ladies! I didn't ...It’s about time you let someone else win!Karen Fiducia I played too well yesterday which put me in a higher flight. If I shot the game I ...Don Bord here is where you can follow the scores!4 Likes