North Team Retains Jackie Burke Cup
Hockley, TX – The North Team won six of 12 matches on Sunday and gained 14 points to tie the Jackie Burke Cup against the South Team at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. The tie means the North Team retains the cup for a seventh straight year and leads the overall series 9-7.
Matthew Comegys was the first to win his Singles Match on Sunday and get the North Team two early points. The 2020 LJT Boys 15-18 Division Player of the Year defeated Sam Dossey, who finished runner-up in the player of the year standings, 5&3.
Dallas’ Ben Delarosa was the first player to tee off in the final round and beat Keaton Vo of Austin 2&1 to get the North Team two more points and tie the Jackie Burke Cup up at 14-14. The match was tied after 12 holes, but Delarosa made birdie on Nos. 15, 16 and 17 to win the match.
Austin’s Trevor Mierl was the next winner with a 3&2 win over Matthew Foster of Dallas. The win gave the South Team its first points of the day as they regained the lead 16-14 in the Jackie Burke Cup.
The next match to finish ended in a tie between Dallas’ Connor Adams and Austin’s Andrew Tan. Both players landed their approach shots on the green of No. 18 at Houston Oaks and they funneled down into a little swell on the left side of the green. Both players managed to get up and down to secure a point for their teams.
Fort Worth’s Savannah Barber defeated Grace Jin 5&4 to get the North back into a tie with the South. Barber won all three of her matches during the Jackie Burke Cup and secured six points for the North.
Plano’s Rhett O’Rear was the next winner and gave the North Team its first lead in the 2020 Jackie Burke Cup. The 2020 LJT Boys 14 & Under Player of the Year defeated Trenton Mierl, who finished runner-up in the player of the year standings, 2&1.
San Antonio’s Julia Vollmer picked up two points for the South and tied the matches at 19-19. Vollmer beat Dallas’ Sophie Biediger 5&3 after winning six straight holes to close out the front side.
The final Boys 14 & Under Match was between Dallas’ Brooks Simmons and Shenandoah’s Bowen Ballis. The match started with Ballis winning holes three and four before Simmons won holes five, seven, eight and nine. Ballis squared the match back up by winning Nos. 11, 13 and 15, but Simmons won No. 17 with a par and both players made bogey on the 18th to end in a tie and secure one point for each team.
Needing five points to win the Jackie Burke Cup, Preston Rouse of Houston won his match 3&2 for the South. He won the first two holes of the day before dropping the next three. He took a 2 up lead at the turn before dropping one at No. 10 and winning holes 14 and 16 to win his match. The South Team now led the Jackie Burke Cup 22-20 with three matches out on the course.
Needing four points in the final three matches, a win for the North wasn’t looking great with the South leading the next two matches. Trevor Algya was 1 down through 14 holes before winning No. 15 with a par and No. 16 with a birdie. He now had a 1 up lead and tied the 17th with a bogey before making par on No. 18 and winning his match 2 up. The North were now tied with the South 22-22 and needed one more win.
Plano’s Ethan Fang secured the final win for the North by beating Daniel Zou 2&1. The two battled on the front nine, but Fang took a 2 up lead on No. 10 and never gave up the lead. He dropped the 12th and 15th holes but won the 14th and 17th to win his match and guarantee the Jackie Burke Cup would stay with the North.
Spring’s Andrew Spaulding won the final match 2 up over Gage Doyle. The final two points went to the South and the Jackie Burke Cup finished tied at 24-24. The tie means the North Team retains the cup and the South is still seeking its first Jackie Burke Cup victory since 2014.
The Jackie Burke Cup is a team match play event modeled after the Ryder Cup. Each team features 12 players as North Texas takes on South Texas. Players earned their way onto their respective teams by their play within the Texas Junior Golf Alliance and their standings in the LJT Player of the Year. This year’s Jackie Burke Cup featured 18 first timers.
The Clubs at Houston Oaks is hosting the Jackie Burke Cup Matches for the first time. Houston Oaks is located just north of Houston in Hockley, Texas and is ranked as the No. 2 course by the Dallas Morning News. The par-71 layout challenges the players as they have to manage their way around a hilly terrain and avoid the massive oak trees and various bodies of water. The course joins a stellar list of clubs to have hosted the Jackie Burke Cup including Whispering Pines Golf Club, Champions Golf Club, Brookhollow Country Club, Spanish Oaks Golf Club, Miramont Golf Club and Escondido Golf and Lake Club.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes