Comegys, Madden and Logis Win Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic
LAKEWAY – Brian Comegys of Austin posted rounds of 75-74 to clinch the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic at Lakeway Country Club’s Live Oak Course by one stroke. Jenna Madden of McKinney carded a final round 2-over-par 74 to win the Girls 12-18 Division by three strokes, while Nicholas Logis of Austin ran away with the Boys 14 & Under Division and won by seven shots.
Division Champions: Comegys played steady golf throughout his round on Sunday. He’d counter a dropped shot with a few birdies, and held a one stroke lead with three holes to play. However, after back-to-back bogeys on the par-5 16th and par-3 17th, Comegys was tied for the lead heading into the par-4 18th. The 17-year-old carded his fifth birdie of the day and ninth for the tournament to post 5-over-par 149 and win the Boys 15-18 Division. The victory was Comegys’s first in the Boys 15-18 Division with the Legends Junior Tour.
Madden began the day two shots behind the 18-hole leader, Raleygh Simpson of Kerrville. The 15-year-old started her final round with a double bogey on the par-4 10th, and carded two more bogeys on her opening loop. However, despite the struggles, Madden was still well within contention for her first LJT title. On the front side, she found her game. Madden carded three birdies including a closing three on the par-4 ninth to shoot 2-under 34 and win by three strokes.
Nicholas Logis of Austin played the best golf of all three divisions. He followed his opening round 3-under-par 69 with a solid 2-over-par 74 to post the only 36-hole total in red figures. Logis adds his win to a top-5 finish earlier this season at the Winter Classic.
In Contention: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Garland’s Sam Jenkins finished one stroke behind of Comegys after shooting consecutive rounds of 3-over-par 75. Brayden Bare of Waco, Awesome Burnett of Flower Mound and Tanner Wardlaw of Dripping Springs tied for third at 8-over-par 152. Ethan Parker of Austin finished sixth at 9-over-par 153, while Trenton Mierl of Austin and Gage Doyle of Colleyville tied for seventh at 10-over-par 154.
In the Girls 12-18 Division, Raleygh Simpson of Kerrville finished solo second after rounds of 76-79 to post 11-over par. Marissa Loya of San Antonio finished third at 13-over par, while Chaemin Kim of Austin, Amelia Guo of Seabrook and Mimi Burton of Austin tied for fourth at 15-over par.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, the 94th Texas Junior Amateur Boys 14 & Under champion, Brooks Simmons of Dallas, finished second and seven shots behind Logis at 6-over par. Andre Follmer of The Hills carded rounds of 79-73 to finish third, while Rhett O’Rear of Plano and Austin Hofferkamp of The Woodlands tied for fourth at 10-over-par 154.
Course: Lakeway Country Club’s Live Oak course hosted the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic for the second straight year. The course was designed by Leon Howard and bends through the residential Lakeway neighborhood in Austin. The course features rolling hills with tree-lined fairways and small greens.
Tournament Format: The Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic is a 36-hole stroke play event for players with an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. Players ages 12-18 are split into three different divisions: Boys 15-18, Girls 12-18 and Boys 14 & Undaer. The event is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard, Golfweek and has AJGA Performance Stars that will be handed out to the top finishers.
What’s Next: The Legends Junior Tour returns to Montgomery for the Texas Girls’ Invitational at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club’s Weiskopf Course from Feb. 13-15. The Spring Preview is the next stop for the boys as it heads to The Golf Club at Texas A&M from Feb. 27-28.
For more information on the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic, click here.
About the LJT: The Legends Junior Tour is part of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance, which is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern PGA and Houston Golf Association. The tour operates as part of the Texas Golf Association and its foundation. Since its inception in 2005, the tour has provided funds to promote junior golf initiatives while conducting some of the state’s top junior championships including the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship, Texas Junior Amateur and the Texas Girls’ Invitational as well as the Texas Cup Invitational.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes