Robert Gwin Wins South Mid-Amateur
MONTGOMERY – Bentwater Yacht & Country Club’s own Robert Gwin claimed the South Mid-Amateur title after shooting even-par 72 on the final day, for a three-day score of five-under-par on the Weiskopf Course at Bentwater Yacht & Country. Entering the final round, Gwin was one stroke behind Cypress’ Kevin Liberto, who finished tied for second going three-over-par 75, for a tournament score of three-under-par. Tied with Liberto was Todd Albert, of Katy, who fired a four-under-par 68 final round. John Hunter, The Woodlands, and Padden Nelson, Houston, finished tied for fourth with three-day scores of two-under-par. With Nelson’s final round two-over-par 74, he claimed Mid-Master Award, which recognizes players in the field that are 40 years of age or older. Clay Fullick, from Conroe finished one stroke behind Nelson, while Cypress’ Kurtis Lilley was two strokes behind Nelson in the Mid-Master Recognition.
1. Robert Gwin, Montgomery 69-70-72 – 211
T-2. Todd Albert, Katy 73-72-68 – 213
T-2. Kevin Liberto, Cypress 72-66-75 – 213
T-4. John Hunter, The Woodlands 72-71-71 – 214
T-4. Padden Nelson, Houston 70-70-74 – 214
Top Finishers – Robert Gwin finished the first round leading by one stroke, only to find Kevin Liberto one stroke ahead of him after the second round of play. Gwin’s birdie on the par four 16 on Sunday provided enough cushion to take a two-stroke lead after Liberto bogeyed that same hole. Todd Albert battled the windy conditions and was able to climb up the leaderboard to finish in a tie for second following his four-under-par 68 on the final day. John Hunter’s one-under-par 71 on Sunday allowed him to move into a tie for fourth with Padden Nelson.
Notable Moment: Michael Glisan, from Houston, had a hole-in-one on the par three hole 3 from 197 yards during the second round play on Saturday. This was Michael’s first career hole-in-one.
Weather: The sun shined across clear skies for the first round of play on Friday as the temperature rose to around 85 degrees by mid-afternoon. Saturday morning began with overcast skies that lingered for much of the second round, with the high for the day at 82 degrees. The course wasn’t the only challenge for the field on Sunday, as wind was a big factor with gusts reaching 24 mph by noon. Light rain fell early in the afternoon while the temperature eventually got to 65 degrees as the final round finished.
Host Course: Bentwater Yacht & Country Club in Montgomery features 36-holes across the Miller and Weiskopf courses. The 18-hole Weiskopf Course at is a collaboration between Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish. Rolling fairways and TifEagle greens are surrounded by thick forests of hardwood and pines. The 14th hole par three offers a picturesque setting, perched on the water’s edge from tee to green.
Next Up: The South Regional Series next event will be at the South Senior Amateur at Kissing Tree Golf Club in San Marcos on April 5-6.
Registration for the 112th Texas Amateur at Midland Country Club is open until Wednesday, March 31. Players can register for a qualifier by following this link.
For more information on the South Regional Series and South Mid-Amateur, please visit www.TXGA.org.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes