Doggett, Reily Tied for Lead at 112th Texas Amateur
MIDLAND – A pair of collegiate upperclassmen share the 54-hole lead in the 112th Texas Amateur at 8-under-par 208. Jake Doggett, a fifth-year senior at Midwestern State University, and Austyn Reily, a junior at the University of Houston, hold a two-shot lead over three pursuers at Midland Country Club with 18 holes left to play.
Doggett, who won the 2021 NCAA Div. II Lone Star Conference title in May, shot a 4-under 68 in Saturday’s Round 3. He drained a 50-foot eagle putt the par-5 fourth hole and added three birdies on the day. Only a lip-out bogey on the 18th kept Doggett from turning in a clean scorecard.
“I was putting really well on the front,” said Doggett, who finished T35 in last summer’s 111th Texas Amateur at Boot Ranch Golf Club. “I had a few good up-and-downs for par to save my 68 today.”
Reily came in with a 5-under 67 on Saturday thanks to a torrid stretch on the back nine. He ran in birdies on the 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th holes to vault up the leaderboard on Moving Day.
“I hit 17 of 18 greens today,” said Reily, who finished T3 for the Cougars at the 2021 Rice Intercollegiate. “It took a while to get the putts to fall, but towards the end they started to fall. I like these greens. It doesn’t get much better than the bentgrass, just how fast and true they roll.”
Two shots behind Doggett and Reily are three talented pursuers. Odessa’s Blake Parks, Leander’s Ryan O’Rear and Paul McNamara from Dallas share third place at 6-under 210. McNamara, a former Notre Dame standout who won the 2021 North Mid-Amateur, fired a 5-under 67 in Round 3. Parks and O’Rear each posted 2-under 70.
Fourteen players are within five shots of the leaders headed into Sunday’s final round. The 55 players who advanced through Friday’s 36-hole combined for a scoring average of 72.87 in Round 3. That was two shots better than the full field fared in Round 2. Through 54 holes, the overall stroke average on the fescue-laden, shot-makers course is 74.53.
Strong Field to Say the Least
Whenever you gather the best amateurs in Texas, you’re going to see some eye-popping Handicap Indexes. The Texas Amateur is open to male amateurs who resides in the state and have a certified World Handicap System Handicap Index of 6.4 or better. Most who make it into the field have better-than-scratch Handicap Indexes, also known as plus-Handicaps.
At Midland Country Club this week, the best Handicap Index is a +7.4, which is astonishing for an amateur. Professionals don’t keep Handicap Indexes, but Lou Stagner of DECADE Golf crunched the numbers from the scores from PGA Tour pros.
He deduced their average Handicap Index is +5.4! World No. 1 Dustin Johnson, for example, would have a +6.5 Handicap Index, according to Stagner.
The average Handicap Index of the competitors in the 112th Texas Amateur is +2.8.
Some of the all-time greats of the game have walked the fairways at Midland Country Club. Icons such as Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, Arnold Palmer, Jackie Burke and Sam Snead all have pegged it here.
The elite club also has some famous honorary members. Among them are the 43rd President of the U.S. and 46th Governor of Texas, George W. Bush, who lived in Midland as a child; World Golf Hall of Famer Judy Rankin, who spoke to the players at Wednesday night’s players’ reception; and Mike Conaway, a past U.S. Representative in the 11th Congressional District.
While technically not famous, Margaret Cowden is loved by one and all in Midland. The honorary member turned 100 years old today. Happy Birthday, Margaret! Midlander Buzzy Banks turned 100 in 2018 and was awarded an honorary membership, too. Mr. Banks passed away last month.
(Tip of the cap to Midland Country Club’s Membership Director Jenni Rivas for these fun facts.)
The final round of the 112th Texas Amateur begins Sunday at 7:30 a.m. For more information, including complete scoring, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes