Hailey Jones Leads Women’s Stroke Play
KERRVILLE – Hailey Jones of Dallas carded an impressive 2-under par 70 in Friday’s opening round of the 2021 Women’s Stroke Play at The Club at Comanche Trace. The Oklahoma State University rising junior’s score earned her a one-shot lead over Faith Kilgore of Wimberly going into the second round of the 54-hole championship.
Jones made the turn at 1-over 37 and then turned on the jets for the back nine, making a birdie on the par-3 12th and an eagle-3 on the par-5 16th hole.
“My round started a little slow on the front nine,” Jones said. “I just told myself to stay patient and it worked on the back nine. I had a good birdie on a par three, made eagle and had a good finish.”
Jones said she made a “silly bogey” on No. 4, one of the easier par-5 holes on the course, but felt she was striking the ball well and was just waiting for her putter to warm up. After her miscue early in the round, Jones regained her focus and was 3-under for the remaining 14 holes to finish atop the leaderboard after Round 1.
But she’s not done yet.
“Just sticking to the same game plan,” Jones said of her goal for the upcoming rounds. “Playing the course a little bit smarter and seeing if I can go lower.”
Kilgore, a junior-to-be at Colorado Christian University, had a rollercoaster of a round with 2 birdies and a bogey on the front nine and 2 birdies and 2 bogies on the back nine to end the day at 1-under 71.
Elina Sinz of Kate, a rising junior at the University of Auburn, is in third place after carding an even-par 72.
Jones is consistently a top contender in Texas Golf Association events, being a three-time Legends Junior Tour Player of the Year and a two-time Texas Junior Amateur champion. More recently, she recorded a 12thplace finish at the Cowgirl Classic with rounds of 76-75-74.
Round 2 of the Women’s Stroke Play starts Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information, including leaderboard and pairings, click here.
- Emma McMyler goes 6-under par after round 2 of Women’s #strokeplay 😱 at #comanchetrace
read the round 2 recap here: https://www.txga.org/2021/06/26/emma-mcmyler-leads-womens-stroke-play-after-round-2/
check out the round 2 leaderboard here: https://www.txga.org/tga-womens-stroke-play-championship-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at Comanche Trace. 3 Likes
- Female Forum Series | Project Fairway Looking forward to seeing you all there for a beautiful #celebration of #Golf, #Lifestyle & #WomensEmpowerment! Register today for this virtual event, presented by Texas Golf Association & Toyota USA, hosted @ the Play Golf Designs Inc. Virtual Country Club. ... 1 Likes
- Female Forum Series | Project Fairway REGISTER NOW at https://qoo.ly/3cusw2 and tune in Mon., July 5th to The #ProjectFairway #Dallas Female Forum 2021 Virtual Empowerment Experience presented by Texas Golf Association and Toyota USA hosted in the Play Golf Designs Inc. Virtual Country Club. We'll discuss ... 1 Likes
- White Bluff Resort- Old Course Play Day Event :: Are you in need of a #staycation? Head to #Whitney for #golf & #relaxation! Register for this #FunGolf Play Day today!
📍 White Bluff Resort - Old Course
📅 Sun., July 11 @ 8:30 AM Shotgun
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Austyn Reily Wins the 112th Texas Amateur
MIDLAND – Minutes after Austyn Reily calmly tapped in a 3-foot par putt on Sunday to win the 112th Texas Amateur by a single shot, he didn’t credit supreme ball-striking, accuracy off the ... 26 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Doggett, Reily Tied for Lead at 112th Texas Amateur
MIDLAND – A pair of collegiate upperclassmen share the 54-hole lead in the 112th Texas Amateur at 8-under-par 208. Jake Doggett, a fifth-year senior at Midwestern State University, and Austyn Reily, ... 7 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Wyatt Koricanek Grabs 36-Hole Lead at the 112th Texas Amateur
MIDLAND – Wyatt Koricanek was one of the last players to get into the field at the 112th Texas Amateur. Through 36 holes at Midland Country Club, the Yorktown resident ... 14 CommentsWay to go Wyatt!!! Good luck for the finish! 🏌🏼♂️Great Job Wyatt ⛳️WAY TO GO WYATT!!!👏👏👏54 Likes
- 👏🏼 A special thank you to our wonderful volunteers for their help in conducting this week’s 112th #TexasAmateur. We couldn’t do it without you!
Texas Golf Association is at Midland Country Club. 2 CommentsSo many great people! Have a great event!The best in the business right there!26 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Clay Hodge Leads 112th Texas Amateur
MIDLAND – Clay Hodge from Tyler scorched Midland Country Club on Thursday with a bogey-free, 8-under-par 64 to grab the lead after the first round of the 112th Texas Amateur. Hodge leads Aaron Hickman, ... 12 Likes
- Texas Amateur 2021 Midland Country Club has a rich championship history, having previously hosted three Texas Amateurs and two Women’s Texas Amateurs, and promises to provide an ideal stage once again for the 2021 #TexasAmateur! 1 CommentsGood luck to all involved hopefully will make threw qualifying for the mid-am this summer7 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Stout Crowned Champion of the 2021 Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship
Dallas – Preston Stout officially claimed his wire-to-wire victory Thursday at the 22nd Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship. The Richardson J.J. Pearce High School junior finished the ... 1 CommentsCongratulations young man , wishing you continued success with your game.12 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Stout Maintains Veritex Byron Nelson Junior Championship Lead
DALLAS – Preston Stout, a rising junior from J. J. Pierce High School in Richardson, closed Round 2 on Wednesday at the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship with an eagle on ... 8 Likes
- Texas Amateur 2021 For the first time in over 20 years, the #TexasAmateur heads west for a long-awaited return to Midland Country Club. Who will stand tallest in the expanse of West Texas and claim the state’s coveted amateur prize? Find out this ... 1 CommentsPan American Golf Association of Irving Good luck12 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Preston Stout Leads Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Championship
DALLAS – Preston Stout from Richardson birdied his final hole Tuesday at Lakewood Country Club to take a one-shot lead after one round at the 2021 Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship. ... 1 Likes
- Driving Equity Grant Program Expands Women’s Golf Coverage The Driving Equity Grant Program, supported by the USGA, invites media outlets to expand their coverage of women’s golf by offering financial support to alleviate costs. 2 Likes
- Timeline Photos Happy #WomensGolfDay! Ready to get into #golf? Check with your local golf clubs to see if they host women’s clinics. See if there's a LPGA Amateurs Chapter in your area. Check out our #FunGolf (https://buff.ly/3yXnL1A) and Women's #Golf101 Clinics (https://buff.ly/3vJoRM9)! ... 4 Commentshahaha. Representing women golfers of AmericaWell, Texas.Autographs....Jean Ragland😂😂😂😂16 Likes