Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship Moves to Oakmont CC
ADDISON– The Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship is set to head to Oakmont Country Club in Corinth on July 12-13. This will be the fourth event this summer for the Legends Junior Tour and the last event before the 95th Texas Junior Amateur.
“We’re looking forward to bringing the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship to Oakmont Country Club for the first time,” said Tournament Director Adam Schulte. “The course is a great championship layout that should provide a solid challenge for all and produce a great group of champions.”
Oakmont Country Club was opened in 1986 and designed by Roger Packard with consulting from Don January. The par-72 layout stretches out to 6,800 yards and the Bermuda greens and champion Bermuda fairways will offer a nice test to the 120-player field.
The Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship is a 36-hole stroke play event with players competing in three different divisions. There is a Boys 15-18 Division, a Boys 14 & Under Division and a Girls 12-18 Division. Players are required to have an active membership within the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The alliance is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern Texas PGA, Southern Texas PGA and Houston Golf Association.
“The Texas Junior Golf Alliance does a great job of helping players map out their junior golfing careers,” said Legends Junior Tour staffer Kevin Porter. “The Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship offers a great opportunity for players to start competing on a state-wide level versus a regional level.”
Now in it’s 13th year, the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship has been named after the Hall of Fame golfer since 2008. Wadkins won the 1970 U.S. Amateur Championship and turned professional the following year. He compiled 21 victories on the PGA Tour, including the 1977 PGA Championship at Pebble Beach and The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass in 1979. He was a perennial member of the U.S. Ryder Cup team, playing on eight teams and winning 20 matches and 21.5 points.
Matthew Watkins of Heath won last year’s Boys 15-18 Division at Brookhaven Country Club’s Masters Course. His 6-under score was two strokes better than Seth Bearden of Crowell and three strokes ahead of Plano’s Matthew Comegys, who would go on to win player of the year honors in the division.
Austin’s Farah O’Keefe won the Girls 12-18 Division by one stroke. O’Keefe just recently competed in the LPGA’s Volunteers of America Classic after qualifying through the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. Dallas’ Nathan Miller won the Boys 14 & Under Division at 3-under 141 overall.
Other past champions include Sam Rosenberg, Blaine Hale Jr., Matthew Zampello, Travis McInroe, Ryan Grider, Pierceson Coody, Grace Do, Amber Wang and Callie Scheffler.
This is the final LJT event before the 240-player Texas Junior Amateur, which returns to the Clubs of Kingwood on July 26-28. The top three finishers of each division will earn an exemption into the 95th Texas Junior Amateur.
Along with exemptions into future LJT Major and Invitational event, players are competing for AJGA Performance Stars as well as LJT Player of the Year Points. The Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard as well as Golfweek.
Pairings for the First Round will be available on Friday, July 9, and tee times for Monday’s first round will begin at 7:30 am off the No. 1 and 10 tees. The tournament will be in two waves with the Boys 15-18 Division going off in the morning and the Girls 12-18 and the Boys 14 & Under Divisions going in the afternoon. The final round pairings will be sent out following Monday’s play and the divisions will flip.
For more information about the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes