Kelting’s Retain Lead at Texas Father-Son
Briefly: Kyle and Derick Kelting of Amarillo followed an opening round 8-under 64 with a 3-under par 69. The defending Texas Father-Son co-champions have a one-stroke lead heading into Sunday’s final round at Crown Colony Country Club in Lufkin.
Leaderboard: Championship Flight
1) Kelting, Derick / Kelting, Kyle Amarillo, Amarillo 64-69–133
2) Rougeau, Brandon / Rougeau, Charles Round Rock, Brenham 65-69–134
3) Hill, Ryan / Hill, Watson Longview, Longview 69-66–135
4) Griffin, Matt / Griffin, Will San Antonio, San Antonio 65-73–138
In Contention: The Kelting’s retained their round one lead by putting together another solid round. Kyle (father) and Derick (son) put themselves in great position to repeat as Father-Son champions.
The team started the second round off with a double bogey but rolled in five birdies the rest of the way. Derick rolled in each of the five birdies at the third, eighth, thirteenth, sixteenth and eighteenth holes.
With one round remaining the Kelting’s hold a one-shot lead over Brandon and Charles Rougeau of Round Rock/Brenham. The Rougeau’s also carded a 3-under 69 in the second round.
“We’ve never played this course before prior to this week” Brandon said. “It’s a short course. Just keeping the ball in play is pretty much our main strategy.”
It’s also the duo’s first time to play in the event, but that hasn’t stopped them from climbing the leaderboard to solo second place heading into Sunday’s final round.
“If we hit the ball like we have been tomorrow then we should compete”, said Charles.
Sitting in third place after a 6-under 66 is Ryan and Watson Hill of Longview. The Hill’s sit at 9-under overall and two shots back of the lead. Just behind in fourth are the co-defending champions Matt and Will Griffin of San Antonio at 6-under. Rounding out the top five is Daniel and Nick Shapiro of The Colony/Plano at 5-under par.
The Championship Flight will be divided into two flights for the final round. The top 18 and ties after two rounds will play combined score. The remaining reams will play in the President’s Flight a third round of gross four-ball stroke play.
Net Flights Update: The Hogan Flight, will be a showdown between two Crown Colony teams. Justin Blackledge and Wes Welch of Midland/Lufkin lead after another round of 4-under 68. Just behind are John and Jack Kennedy of Lufkin.
Lloyd and Benjamin Hughes of Dallas continue to lead the Nelson flight after carding a 2-under 70. The duo leads the flight by 2 strokes over Diana’s Jackson and Ken Sampson.
The low round of the day came from the Crenshaw Flight. Jamey and Aaron Freisleben fired a 7-under 65 to vault into second place. Chris and Hudson Henrattie of Arlington lead by one after a second round 3-under 69.
Steve and Marshall Kerns of Houston/Fort Worth sit tied atop the leaderboard at 4-under in the Kite Flight alongside David and David Cash of Cottonwood Shores/Spicewood.
Shot of the Day: Robert Gwin aced the par-3 seventh hole in Saturday’s second round. He used a 50-degree wedge from 140-yards. This was his seventh career hole-in-one.
Golf Course: Crown Colony was founded in 1979 on 750 acres of timberland in East Texas, in the middle of the piney woods. Robert von Hagge and Bruce Devlin designed the championship course. Golf, tennis, swimming and a host of other activities are offered at Crown Colony. For any golf fanatic, it’s a great course to play. Settled in the tall pine trees of East Texas Crown Colony is known for its small green complexes, strategic bunkering, and demanding tee shots. The par-72 course is consistently classed as one of the “Top 10” by the Dallas Morning News since 1995. Additionally, it has been rated by Golfweek as one of the top destinations in the State of Texas since 2004. Today’s total yardage was 6,470 yards for the Championship division and 5,969 yards for the Net division.
Weather: The temperature reached 93 degrees and 9 mph winds from the south.
What’s Next: Final round tee times start Sunday morning at 7:30 a.m. off No. 1 & 10 tees at Crown Colony Country Club.
More Info: For more information on the Texas Father-Son, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes