Kelting’s Defend their Crown at the Texas Father-Son
Briefly: Kyle and Derick Kelting of Amarillo were crowned Texas Father-Son champions at Crown Colony Country Club in Lufkin after winning on the first playoff hole over Matt and Will Griffin of San Antonio. The teams finished the 54-hole tournament tied at 3-under-par 285. The Keltings, who were playing in just their second Texas Father-Son, defended their title from last year when they were declared co-champions with the Griffin’s.
Leaderboard: Championship Flight
1) Kelting, Derick / Kelting, Kyle Amarillo, Amarillo 64-69-152—285 *
2) Griffin, Matt / Griffin, Will San Antonio, San Antonio 65-73-147—285
3) Reynolds, Jay / Reynolds, Peach Austin, Austin 69-71-149—289
*Won in Playoff
Championship Flight Update: For the final round, the top-half of the Championship Flight played combined score. This format puts more dependency on each player of the team.
The Kelting’s won the Father-Son Championship Flight on the par-5 first playoff hole after combining for a 9 shot total to best the Griffin team’s 10 shot total.
Derick made birdie and Kyle made par to clinch the playoff for the Kelting’s. Will made birdie and Matt made bogey for the Griffin’s.
Both the Kelting’s and Griffin’s were crowned co-champions last year. Due to COVID-19, there was no playoff. This year, however, the teams were able to settle the score.
“We really didn’t play well today” Derick said. “But we grinded it out and were able to hit the shots we needed.”
It’s the duo’s second time to play in the event, but no youth has been shown. Two appearances and two wins.
“It’s definitely a tricky course and demands your full attention on every hole”, said Kyle.
Peach and Jay Reynolds of Austin finished the week in third at 1-over 289 total. Coming in just behind was Ryan and Watson Hill of Longview tied for fourth along with Charles and Brandon Rougeau of Brenham/Round Rock at 3-over 291 total.
Presidents Flight Update: Following Round 2, the Championship Flight was cut to the top-18 and ties. The remaining 15 teams made up the Presidents Flight for the final round. The Championship Flight played combined score and the Presidents Flight continued playing four-ball.
The Presidents Flight was competitive to the very end much like the Championship flight was.
Three teams were crowned as co-champions at the end of Sunday’s final round. Mike and Andy Campen of Austin/The Hills, Brannon and Cullen Smith of Midland/Angleton, and Niko and James Nebout of League City all finished at 5-over 221 totals for the week. With a victory in the Presidents Flight, the teams earn an automatic exemption into next year’s Texas Father-Son.
Net Flights Update: The Hogan Flight was won by Charles and Nick Archer of Rockwall/Rowlett after firing a final round 7-under 65. Host club team John and Jack Kennedy of Lufkin finished in second place.
Diana’s Jackson and Ken Sampson topped the Nelson Flight with a final round 4-under 68. Finishing runner-up was Dallas’s Benjamin and Lloyd Hughes.
Jamey and Aaron Freisleben of Montgomery/Spring fired a final round 9-under 63 to capture the Crenshaw Flight. They won the flight by 12 strokes over Corbin and Robert Janssen of Houston/Sugarland.
In the Kite Flight, Dallas’s Chris and Paul Divis won by carding a final round 3-under 69. They finished one shot ahead of two teams tied at 3-under par for the week.
Golf Course: Crown Colony was founded in 1979 on 750 acres of timberland in East Texas, in the middle of the piney woods. Robert von Hagge and Bruce Devlin designed the championship course. Golf, tennis, swimming and a host of other activities are offered at Crown Colony. For any golf fanatic, it’s a great course to play. Settled in the tall pine trees of East Texas Crown Colony is known for its small green complexes, strategic bunkering, and demanding tee shots. The par-72 course is consistently classed as one of the “Top 10” by the Dallas Morning News since 1995. Additionally, it has been rated by Golfweek as one of the top destinations in the State of Texas since 2004. Today’s total yardage was 6,467 yards for the Championship division and 5,988 yards for the Net division.
Weather: The temperature reached 90 degrees with scattered showers in the morning.
What’s Next: The 2021 season continues with the 93rd West Texas Amateur at Abilene Country Club in Abilene from July 16-18. The 2022 Texas Father-Son will be at Wichita Falls Country Club in Wichita Falls.
More Info: For more information on the Texas Father-Son, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes