Round One of Texas Four-Ball Suspended, Hickman and Couture Lead
HORSESHOE BAY – Aaron Hickman of Tyler and Rob Couture of Dallas hold the clubhouse lead of the Texas Four-Ball after turning in a magnificent 9-under-par 63 at Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course. Due to multiple suspensions of play during the first round there are groups that were unable to finish.
Play was suspended for a total of 2 hours and 23 minutes between two delays in the late afternoon due to lightning in the area during Friday’s first round. Play will resume at 7:45 a.m. Saturday morning.
Hickman and Couture became friends through golf many years ago and now travel the country playing together. Over the years, they have played countless rounds together including last year’s Texas Four-Ball in which they finished runner-up. Though this year is only the second time the duo has teamed up in the Texas Four-Ball, Hickman and Couture had no problem navigating the Apple Rock Course on Friday.
Hickman carded five birdies on his own ball, while Couture tallied four birdies of his own. The duo went 5-under on their last eight holes en route to their opening 9-under 63 to lead the field by two.
“We got off to a good start. I birdied number one and we kind of hung in there,” Hickman said. “It wasn’t that stressful. We just played pretty solid all day.”
Despite the weather delays Hickman and Couture were able to keep their rhythm and composure.
“It’s not easy. We didn’t hit great shots coming out of the first weather delay,” Couture said. “But after that we played well coming out of the second one.”
Brady Jones of Royse City and Matt Neyra of Rockwall sit two shots back of Hickman and Couture in sole second place. Fort Worth’s Colby Amparan and Gary Ezmerlian sit in third after an opening round of 6-under 66.
Three teams are tied for fourth at 5-under par. They include Jess Bonneau and Chase Chapman, Will Glanville and Jeff Howard as well as Greg Smith and Josh Swanson.
In the Senior Division, Don Gafner and Jim Quinn sit atop the leaderboard after firing an opening round 8-under par 64. The teams of Scott Smith and William Shock, Dan Cook and Steve Miles as well as Ron Finnerty and Tommy Tucker fired 6-under-par 66s. They’ll head into Saturday’s second round with a one-stroke advantage over Dan Howard and Craig Rumora. Mike Booker and Pat Youngs are tied for sixth with Lee Sandlin and Hollis Sullivan after rounds of 4-under-par 68.
In the Super Senior Division, John Grace and Bill Holstead fired a 10-under par 62 to take a commanding three stroke lead into Saturday’s second round. The team of Aaron Billings and Richard Koenig sit behind in solo second after a first round 7-under 65.
With its spectacular setting on the shores of Horseshoe Bay, the Apple Rock resort course is one of the state’s most scenic championship golf courses in Texas. The Horseshoe Bay Resort – Apple Rock Course opened in 1985 and was designed by the highly touted Robert Trent Jones, Sr.
Jones, Sr. took full advantage of the hill country land – rolling hills, water features, and rocky terrain – to create a course that is challenging, exciting and picturesque. The course offers plenty of risk-reward shots for players of all skill levels.
Round one of the Texas Four-Ball resumes Saturday at 7:45 a.m. Once play of the second round concludes the field will be cut to the low 24 teams and ties in the Championship Division, low 10 teams and ties in the Senior Division and low six teams and ties in the Super Senior Division. For more information, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 11 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...