Two Teams Share Lead Heading into Final Round at Texas Four-Ball
HORSESHOE BAY – Fort Worth’s Colby Amparan and Gary Ezmerlian share the lead at 12-under par with Derek Abel of Dallas and Chris Wheeler of Addison after the second round of play at Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course.
Amparan and Ezmerlian carded a 6-under 66 for the second consecutive round. Abel and Wheeler fired off a second round 8-under 64 to put themselves in great position heading into Sunday’s final round.
“It’s been ham and egg. Especially yesterday,” Ezmerlian said. “Today I struggled on the first nine holes and Colby played great. And then I played pretty good on the last nine holes.”
Amparan and Ezmerlian, who have played in this event together five times before, bring a plethora of experience playing together in partnership golf.
“We just play a lot of partnership golf together in general,” Amparan said. “We know when to help each other. We know when to leave each other alone. We know when each other is frustrated and if they need space so that helps a lot.”
Abel and Wheeler are lifelong friends that have competed in four-ball events across the country over the past few years.
“For us we’ve played together a lot in these four-ball events,” said Abel. “Everything from the U.S. Four-Ball to these state four-balls. We kind of feed off each other and balance each other pretty well.”
The duo flexed their experience again on Saturday as Wheeler carded five birdies of his own and Abel tallied four.
Round one leaders Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture sit in solo third after a round of 2-under 70 on Friday. They sit at 11-under overall and just one shot back of the co-leaders.
“It was a bit of a struggle today,” said Hickman. “We didn’t get off to a good start and didn’t finish very well. It was a battle out there.”
Three teams are tied for fourth at 10-under par for the championship. Andrew Grice and Wesley Hansen of Austin, Gant Bills of Dallas and Scott Maurer of Plano, and Kris Devlin of Austin and Trey Todd of Abilene all carded 7-under 65’s to move up the leaderboard on Friday. All three teams will begin the final round two shots behind the co-leaders.
Following play on Saturday, the Championship Division was cut to the top 27 teams for Sunday’s final round.
In the Senior Division, two teams also share the top spot on the leaderboard 10-under-par heading into Sunday. The teams of Scott Smith and William Shock as well as Ron Finnerty and Tommy Tucker both fired 4-under-par 68s. They’ll head into Saturday’s second round with a two-stroke advantage over two teams tied for third. Don Gafner and Jim Quinn carded a 1-under 71 while Steve Love and Mike Peck toured the course with a 6-under 66.
Sitting tied for fifth at 8-under par for the tournament is Andrew Hydorn and Bill Jackson as well as Lee Sandlin and Hollis Sullivan.
The Senior Division was cut to the top 10 teams following the second round.
In the Super Senior Division, John Grace and Bill Holstead fired a 6-under par 66 to take a one stroke lead heading into Sunday’s final round. The team of Aaron Billings and Richard Koenig sit just behind in solo second after a second round 8-under 64.
Sitting six shots back in third place is Lelan Chiles and Tom Takes at 9-under-par for the tournament.
Following the second round, the Super Senior Division was cut to the top six teams and ties.
Through the years, the Horseshoe Bay Resort has hosted the Texas Amateur, Texas Father-Son, and the Texas Junior Amateur. It’s the third time the resort has been the site for the Texas Four-Ball (2007 & 2013).
The final round of the Texas Four-Ball begins Sunday at 7:45 a.m. at Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course. For more information on this championship, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 2 of the #Texas4Ball is underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course!
💥 Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture lead the field by two as they begin their second round.
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball was suspended due to darkness and will resume tomorrow morning at 7:45 a.m.
Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture currently lead at 9-under par.
📖 R1 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/27/round-one-of-texas-four-ball-suspended-hickman-and-couture-lead/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at ... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 12 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes