Dossey, Madden and Logis Lead Fall Challenge
Briefly: Sam Dossey of Austin fired a 7-under 65 in the opening round of the Fall Challenge and leads the Boys Division by two strokes at The Rawls Course in Lubbock. McKinney’s Jenna Madden leads the Girls Division after shooting 2-under 70 on Saturday, while Nicholas Logis leads the Boys 14 & Under Division at 6-under.
Leaders: Sam Dossey made seven birdies in his final nine holes to get to 7-under overall and two strokes ahead in the Boys 15-18 Division. Dossey started his day with a bogey on the par-3 10th and got back to even-par with a birdie on No. 16. After making the turn at even-par he fired off five straight birdies on holes one through five followed by two pars and finished with a birdie on the par-4 eighth and another on the par-5 ninth. Jenna Madden holds a one-stroke lead in the Girls Division after shooting 2-under 70 in the first round. She made seven birdies, including three in her first five holes, including starting the day with a birdie on the par-4 first. Nicholas Logis holds a five-stroke lead in the Boys 14 & Under Division after shooting 6-under on Saturday. Logis made seven birdies in his first round, including five straight on holes No. 7-11. He kicked in two late birdies, one on the par-3 16th and another on the par-5 17th, to get to 6-under.
In Contention: In the Boys Division, Hugh Donegan of Austin and Preston Cooper of Dallas trail Dossey by two strokes after shooting 5-under 67 in the first round. Five players are tied for fourth at 4-under, including Brian Comegys who won the Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic earlier this year. In total the division had 17 players at even-par or better after the first round. In the Girls Division, Jiyu Han of Cedar Park trails Madden after shooting 1-under 71 at The Rawls Course. Grace Frei of The Colony sits in third place at even-par, while Emma Von Hoffmann of Spicewood, Estelle Seon of Carrollton and Adrienne Ahn of Dallas are tied for fourth at 1-over. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, current player of the year leader Rhett O’Rear of Plano is tied with Frisco’s Luke Colton and Dallas’ Reese Roberts for second at 1-under. Austin Hofferkamp and Brooks Simmons are tied for fifth at 1-over.
Golf Course: The Rawls Course at Texas Tech is hosting the Fall Challenge for the second time in the last three years. The course was designed by Tom Doak and opened in 2003 and is truly a unique experience in the plains of West Texas. The course features wide fairways and contoured greens, stretching out to 7,000 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,500 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and 5,900 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division.
On a Roll: Sam Dossey is seeking his third straight win on the Legends Junior Tour after winning the George Hannon Junior Invitational in August and the North Texas Classic earlier this month. Dossey is currently in second in the LJT Player of the Year standings for the Boys 15-18 Division, trailing Trevor Algya by 278 points.
Weather: Temperatures started in the 60s and crept up to the mid-80s once the sun started to come out. Winds were steady around 10 miles per hour throughout the day, providing a good day for golf.
Tournament Format: The Fall Challenge is a 36-hole stroke play event with players ages 12-18 that have an active membership within the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The 84-player field is split into a Boys Division, Girls Division and a Boys 14 & Under Division.
Texas Junior Golf Alliance: The Alliance is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern Texas PGA and Houston Golf Association. The goal of the Alliance was to allow junior golfers a clear path to the best tournaments in Texas. Each of the three tier-two organizations (STPGA, NTPGA, HGA) conduct events that serve as qualifiers into the statewide tier-one events run by the Legends Junior Tour (LJT). This allows players to compete in local events in which they can earn spots to play in statewide tournaments.
Next Up: The Final Round of the Fall Challenge is scheduled for tee times at 8:00 am on Sunday, Sept. 26. Pairings for the final round can be found by clicking here. Following Sunday’s play, awards will be handed out to the top finishers of each division along with LJT Player of the Year Points.
For more information on the Fall Challenge, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Four Tied for Lead after Round 1 at 84th Texas Senior Amateur
HOUSTON – On one of the best weather days of the year in Southeast Texas, Westwood Golf Club stood tall against the best senior amateurs in the state. ... 9 Likes
- Connections Made, History Felt at African American Golf Expo Two USGA staffers recently had the opportunity to bring artifacts and share stories at the inaugural African American Golf Expo and Forum in Atlanta. 4 Likes
- Play it Forward with Youth on Course We believe in the power of golf and we’re passionate about the power of play.
Thank you to #GolfNow and GolfNow users who together have helped subsidize more than 150,000 rounds of golf for #YouthOnCourse members with just their spare ...
- Timeline Photos This past weekend, the TGA entered a group of staff & a #FunGolf Series golf participant in the #Turner12 Golfing for Grads #fundraiser where they placed 1st with a gross score of 53! #Congratulations to Tanner Giles, Zach Madison, Kristen ... 3 CommentsCongratulations !!! Thank you again for participating 💚⛳Wow! Great playing!Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...16 Likes
- High Meadow Ranch Golf Club Play Day Event :: LAST CALL: Grab a partner & head south to #Houston for our upcoming #FunGolf Play Day!
📅 Thurs., Sept. 23 @ 9AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble
🏆 Includes 18 holes, range balls, cart & prizes
Follow the 🔗link to register now! 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Fort Worth’s Freddie Janneck rides a final round 4-under 67 to a three shot victory and becomes the 38th #TXMidAm Champion. 🏆
📖 Final Recap: bit.ly/3lfke8F
📶 Leaderboard: bit.ly/38YcXnN
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 21 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Aaron Hickman & Ryan O’Rear share the lead heading into Sunday’s final round at the 38th #TXMidAm
📖 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/09/11/orear-and-hickman-share-lead-at-38th-texas-mid-amateur/
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 7 Likes
- Timeline Photos 🚨#TGAGiveaway🚨
Don't miss your shot at 3 Custom-Built Edison Golf Wedges! Contest ends Wed., Sept. 15 at midnight.
Texas Golf Association (Facebook & Instagram)
Follow the link for more details!
https://qoo.ly/3dzzj9 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post William Aycock leads by two with 36 holes remaining. He birdied 5 of his last 6 holes to take the round 1 lead. 🔥
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
#TXMidAm | The Clubs at Houston Oaks 4 CommentsWilliam BlairGo get ‘em William Blair!Thanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days hahaWilliam Blair hahaha, that’s scaryThanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days haha11 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom Oxford Pullover today, starting at only $45!
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for men & women! 1 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom UA Polo today, starting at only $35! Sale extended through Friday.
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congrats to the 2021 Texas Four-Ball Champions Colby Amparan and Gary Ezmerlian 👏🏆
🔸Senior Winners: Ron Finnerty & Tommy Tucker
🔸 Super Senior Winners: Aaron Billings & Richard Koenig
📖 Final Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/29/colby-amparan-and-gary-ezmerlian-win-texas-four-ball/
📶 Results: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association ... 18 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Two teams sit tied atop the leaderboard heading into Sunday’s final round of the #Texas4Ball 😎
Colby Amparan & Gary Ezmerlian as well as Derek Abel and Chris Wheeler share the lead at 12-under par.
📖R2 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/28/two-teams-share-lead-heading-into-final-round-at-texas-four-ball/
... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 2 of the #Texas4Ball is underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course!
💥 Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture lead the field by two as they begin their second round.
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball was suspended due to darkness and will resume tomorrow morning at 7:45 a.m.
Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture currently lead at 9-under par.
📖 R1 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/27/round-one-of-texas-four-ball-suspended-hickman-and-couture-lead/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at ... 2 Likes