Texas Shootout Set for Nov. 15-16
The state’s top 24 amateurs from North and South Texas will gather at Royal Oaks Country Club for the 18th Texas Shootout from Nov. 15-16.
This will be the first Texas Shootout and sixth Texas Golf Association championship hosted by the renowned Dallas club.
“We are thrilled to be able to conduct this year’s Texas Shootout at Royal Oaks Country Club,” said Justin Guthrie, TGA Tournament Manager. “The club has been a tremendous supporter of amateur golf through the years and the challenging course is sure to provide a great deal of excitement for the event’s team match play format.”
Opened in 1969, Royal Oaks was designed by architect J. Press Maxwell, along with PGA Professionals Don January and Billy Martindale. The classic layout has undergone several restorations in the ensuing years. The most recent was in 2014 when Chet Williams supervised a complete redo of all bunkers, tees and greens, which included switching out turfgrasses on the putting surfaces from bentgrass to Mini Verde Ultradwarf bermudagrass.
First conducted in 2003, the season-ending Texas Shootout is by invitation-only and features the top 12 players (eight mid-amateurs and four seniors) from North Texas squaring off against their counterparts from South Texas in a Ryder Cup-style competition.
Players earn their way onto their respective teams by accumulating points throughout the year in designated TGA regional and statewide tournaments, as well as USGA national championships. North and South regions are defined as either being above or below the 31’ parallel (Salado, Texas).
Of the eight mid-amateurs selected from each region, five come from the TGA Statewide Player of the Year point standings and three from the Regional Player of the Year point standings. The top four North and South senior players are chosen based on the Statewide Senior Player of the Year point standings.
The format for the Shootout includes foursome, four-ball and singles matches. A total of 24 matches will be played over the two days. Each match is worth three points – one point each for front nine, back nine and 18 – making for 72 available points. The first team to accumulate 36½ points is the winner.
At last year’s Texas Shootout, hosted by the Traditions Club at Texas A&M in Bryan, the North Texas Team defeated the South Texas Team, 43-29. With the victory, North Texas took a 9-8 lead in the overall series.
Once the action gets underway from the 18th Texas Shootout at Royal Oaks Country Club, log on to txga.org for match play pairings, starting times, live scoring updates and daily recaps.
2021 TEXAS SHOOTOUT NOTES:
North Team: Gant Bills (Plano), Rob Couture (Dallas), Gary Ezmerlian (Fort Worth), *Chuck Gardner (Texarkana), Sean Heidrick (McKinney), Aaron Hickman (Tyler), Frederick Janneck (Fort Worth), Robert Johnson (Abilene), *Kyle Kelting (Amarillo), *Lee Sandlin (Dallas), *Lewis Stephenson (Burleson) and Chris Wheeler (Addison).
South Team: Todd Albert (Katy), Coy Breen (San Antonio), Casey Carnes (Schertz), *Gary Durbin (Houston), Clay Fullick (Conroe), Rob Gwin (Montgomery), John Hunter (Spring), Kevin Liberto (Cypress), Paul McNamara (Austin), *David Ortego (Spring), *John Pierce (San Antonio) and *Jed Shreve (The Woodlands).
*Indicates senior player representative
Schedule of Events:
Sunday, November 14
11:30 a.m. – Registration
12:00 – 12:30 p.m. – Practice Rounds (North)
12:40 – 1:10 p.m. – Practice Rounds (South)
6:00 p.m. – Cocktail Reception & Match Draw
Monday, November 15
7:30 – 8:15 a.m. – Foursome Matches
12:00 – 12:50 p.m. – Four-Ball Matches
6:30 p.m. – Player’s Dinner
Tuesday, November 16
7:30 – 8:58 a.m. – Singles Matches; Awards presentation following conclusion of play.
- 🌟 The TGA’s very own Marketing Manager Jennifer Settles was featured in KPMG Women’s PGA’s most recent issue of Fore! Fridays.
Check out the link below to learn more about Jennifer’s role and her continuous impact on the game of ... 1 Comments 12 Likes
- The 𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗺𝗽𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 reign supreme! 🏆
Katy’s Caitlyn Stanley and Houston’s Meghan Moake fired back ✌️ back rounds of 4-under-par 67 to win the 2021 Women’s #TexasPinehurst hosted by Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course in Fredericksburg.
🔢 Results: https://www.txga.org/tga-2021-womens-texas-pinehurst-leaderboard/
📖 ... 3 Likes
- Trophy Club Country Club Play Day Event :: Welcome #LastCall: Don't miss our next #FunGolf Play Day event right here in the heart of #Dallas! ⠀
📍 Trophy Club Country Cub (Hogan Course)
📅 Mon., Nov. 8 @ 11AM⠀
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble⠀
🏆 Includes golf, food & ... 2 Likes
- Congratulations to #TGAMember Chris Garvin on winning 3 custom #EdisonGolf wedges during our latest #LoneStarGolf magazine contest! Stay tuned to find out why Chris loves the TGA and for another opportunity to win custom wedges in our next issue of ... 3 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Gary Durbin Wins the 84th Texas Senior Amateur
HOUSTON – Gary Durbin won his second Texas Senior Amateur on Sunday at Westwood Golf Club, a one-shot victory in the 84th edition of the major championship. He played the classic parkland ... 18 CommentsWay to scrap and claw Gary! Great jobJim Abdallah Yeah that was so great of him! Would like to know u better Jim.If it wasn't for the Ford, where would be? As good or better? Nice job Gary.Bill Hogan Done well for himself and family lol 😂. I will like to know u BillWow! You’ve still got it. Good for you, Gary!John E. Taylor Hi John! I would like to know u if u care to chat and video chat 💬 ...41 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Gary Durbin Leads 84th Texas Senior Amateur after 36 Holes
HOUSTON – Gary Durbin is 18 holes away from winning the 84th Texas Senior Amateur. The Houston resident fired a tidy 2-under-par 70 in Saturday’s second round at Westwood Golf ... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Four Tied for Lead after Round 1 at 84th Texas Senior Amateur
HOUSTON – On one of the best weather days of the year in Southeast Texas, Westwood Golf Club stood tall against the best senior amateurs in the state. ... 1 CommentsNice12 Likes
- Connections Made, History Felt at African American Golf Expo Two USGA staffers recently had the opportunity to bring artifacts and share stories at the inaugural African American Golf Expo and Forum in Atlanta. 4 Likes
- Play it Forward with Youth on Course We believe in the power of golf and we’re passionate about the power of play.
Thank you to #GolfNow and GolfNow users who together have helped subsidize more than 150,000 rounds of golf for #YouthOnCourse members with just their spare ...
- Timeline Photos This past weekend, the TGA entered a group of staff & a #FunGolf Series golf participant in the #Turner12 Golfing for Grads #fundraiser where they placed 1st with a gross score of 53! #Congratulations to Tanner Giles, Zach Madison, Kristen ... 2 CommentsWow! Great playing!Congratulations !!! Thank you again for participating 💚⛳16 Likes
- High Meadow Ranch Golf Club Play Day Event :: LAST CALL: Grab a partner & head south to #Houston for our upcoming #FunGolf Play Day!
📅 Thurs., Sept. 23 @ 9AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble
🏆 Includes 18 holes, range balls, cart & prizes
Follow the 🔗link to register now! 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Fort Worth’s Freddie Janneck rides a final round 4-under 67 to a three shot victory and becomes the 38th #TXMidAm Champion. 🏆
📖 Final Recap: bit.ly/3lfke8F
📶 Leaderboard: bit.ly/38YcXnN
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 21 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Aaron Hickman & Ryan O’Rear share the lead heading into Sunday’s final round at the 38th #TXMidAm
📖 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/09/11/orear-and-hickman-share-lead-at-38th-texas-mid-amateur/
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 8 Likes
- Timeline Photos 🚨#TGAGiveaway🚨
Don't miss your shot at 3 Custom-Built Edison Golf Wedges! Contest ends Wed., Sept. 15 at midnight.
Texas Golf Association (Facebook & Instagram)
Follow the link for more details!
https://qoo.ly/3dzzj9 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post William Aycock leads by two with 36 holes remaining. He birdied 5 of his last 6 holes to take the round 1 lead. 🔥
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
#TXMidAm | The Clubs at Houston Oaks 2 CommentsGo get ‘em William Blair!Thanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days hahaWilliam Blair hahaha, that’s scaryWilliam Blair12 Likes