South Blitzes North and Leads Jackie Burke Cup
TYLER – The South Team holds a 19-5 lead after the first day of the Jackie Burke Cup Matches at Willow Brook Country Club. The South Team is seeking it’s first cup win since 2013.
The Jackie Burke Cup is a team match play event modeled after the Ryder Cup. Each team features 12 players as North Texas takes on South Texas. Each match is worth two points and the team with the most points after Sunday will win the cup.
Willow Brook Country Club is located in Tyler, Texas and is hosting the Jackie Burke Cup Matches for the first time. The par-71 layout challenges the players as they have to manage their way around a hilly terrain and avoid the trees. The course joins a stellar list of clubs to have hosted the Jackie Burke Cup including Whispering Pines Golf Club, Champions Golf Club, Brookhollow Country Club, Spanish Oaks Golf Club, Miramont Golf Club, Escondido Golf and Lake Club and The Clubs at Houston Oaks.
The South Team jumped out to a quick 12-0 lead after sweeping the morning Four-Ball Matches against the North Team. Brian Comegys and Trenton Mierl got the scoring going early with a 3&2 win over Sam Jenkins and Carter Patterson. Jonathan Kim and Ethan Parker picked up the next two points with a 5&4 win over Daniel Moon and Elvis Steen. Sam Dossey and Andrew Tan won 3&2, while Nathan Marion and Treed Huang won 2&1 and Jiyu Han and Emma Von Hoffmann won 4&2. The only match that managed to get to No. 18 was Match 5 which saw Austin Hofferkamp and Shiv Parmer hold off Rhett O’Rear and Reese Roberts after O’Rear chipped in for birdie on the par-4 18th.
The North Team got on the board in the afternoon after Trevor Algya and Preston Cooper beat Comegys and Mierl 2&1 in the Foursomes Matches. The South Team answered back when Hofferkamp and Parmar won their match 5&4 and then Dossey and Tan won 2&1. Parker and Marion paired up to win 3&1, while Kim and Huang tied with Moon and Sam Jenkins. Adrienne Ahn and Jenna Madden won the final match of the day 2-up and secured two points for the North Team.
Temperatures started in the 30s on Saturday, but the sun eventually came out and the winds stayed steady around five miles per hour.
The Final Round of the Jackie Burke Cup is Singles Matches with tee times starting at 7:30 am. Following the conclusion of the Final Round, the cup will be awarded to the winning team or the North Team if there is a tie.
The last time the South Team won the Jackie Burke Cup was at Traditions Club in 2013. The temperatures were frigid as the South won 25-23. This year’s South Team is only 15 points behind most points scored by a team in the Jackie Burke Cup, when the North won 34-14 at Wichita Falls Country Club.
- 🌟 The TGA’s very own Marketing Manager Jennifer Settles was featured in KPMG Women’s PGA’s most recent issue of Fore! Fridays.
Check out the link below to learn more about Jennifer’s role and her continuous impact on the game of ... 1 Comments 12 Likes
- The 𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗺𝗽𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 reign supreme! 🏆
Katy’s Caitlyn Stanley and Houston’s Meghan Moake fired back ✌️ back rounds of 4-under-par 67 to win the 2021 Women’s #TexasPinehurst hosted by Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course in Fredericksburg.
🔢 Results: https://www.txga.org/tga-2021-womens-texas-pinehurst-leaderboard/
📖 ... 3 Likes
- Trophy Club Country Club Play Day Event :: Welcome #LastCall: Don't miss our next #FunGolf Play Day event right here in the heart of #Dallas! ⠀
📍 Trophy Club Country Cub (Hogan Course)
📅 Mon., Nov. 8 @ 11AM⠀
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble⠀
🏆 Includes golf, food & ... 2 Likes
- Congratulations to #TGAMember Chris Garvin on winning 3 custom #EdisonGolf wedges during our latest #LoneStarGolf magazine contest! Stay tuned to find out why Chris loves the TGA and for another opportunity to win custom wedges in our next issue of ... 3 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Gary Durbin Wins the 84th Texas Senior Amateur
HOUSTON – Gary Durbin won his second Texas Senior Amateur on Sunday at Westwood Golf Club, a one-shot victory in the 84th edition of the major championship. He played the classic parkland ... 18 CommentsWay to scrap and claw Gary! Great jobJim Abdallah Yeah that was so great of him! Would like to know u better Jim.If it wasn't for the Ford, where would be? As good or better? Nice job Gary.Bill Hogan Done well for himself and family lol 😂. I will like to know u BillWow! You’ve still got it. Good for you, Gary!John E. Taylor Hi John! I would like to know u if u care to chat and video chat 💬 ...41 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Gary Durbin Leads 84th Texas Senior Amateur after 36 Holes
HOUSTON – Gary Durbin is 18 holes away from winning the 84th Texas Senior Amateur. The Houston resident fired a tidy 2-under-par 70 in Saturday’s second round at Westwood Golf ... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Four Tied for Lead after Round 1 at 84th Texas Senior Amateur
HOUSTON – On one of the best weather days of the year in Southeast Texas, Westwood Golf Club stood tall against the best senior amateurs in the state. ... 1 CommentsNice12 Likes
- Connections Made, History Felt at African American Golf Expo Two USGA staffers recently had the opportunity to bring artifacts and share stories at the inaugural African American Golf Expo and Forum in Atlanta. 4 Likes
- Play it Forward with Youth on Course We believe in the power of golf and we’re passionate about the power of play.
Thank you to #GolfNow and GolfNow users who together have helped subsidize more than 150,000 rounds of golf for #YouthOnCourse members with just their spare ...
- Timeline Photos This past weekend, the TGA entered a group of staff & a #FunGolf Series golf participant in the #Turner12 Golfing for Grads #fundraiser where they placed 1st with a gross score of 53! #Congratulations to Tanner Giles, Zach Madison, Kristen ... 2 CommentsWow! Great playing!Congratulations !!! Thank you again for participating 💚⛳16 Likes
- High Meadow Ranch Golf Club Play Day Event :: LAST CALL: Grab a partner & head south to #Houston for our upcoming #FunGolf Play Day!
📅 Thurs., Sept. 23 @ 9AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble
🏆 Includes 18 holes, range balls, cart & prizes
Follow the 🔗link to register now! 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Fort Worth’s Freddie Janneck rides a final round 4-under 67 to a three shot victory and becomes the 38th #TXMidAm Champion. 🏆
📖 Final Recap: bit.ly/3lfke8F
📶 Leaderboard: bit.ly/38YcXnN
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 21 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Aaron Hickman & Ryan O’Rear share the lead heading into Sunday’s final round at the 38th #TXMidAm
📖 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/09/11/orear-and-hickman-share-lead-at-38th-texas-mid-amateur/
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 8 Likes