TGA Medalist Series
About the TGA Medalist Series
The TGA Medalist Series was introduced in the 2007 tournament season as a means for members of the Texas Golf Association to kick start their tournament season. Whether you’re a seasoned competitive golfer or a new to the game with an itch to test your skills against fellow golf enthusiasts, the TGA Medalist Series provides a chance for players to play with a laid back feel.
Offering three events in North Texas, the Hill Country, and new to the 2023 season three Medalist Series Events in the greater Houston area, the TGA Medalist Series provides ample opportunities for our amateur golfers to shake off the winter rust and get back into the swing of tournaments without jumping straight into regional or state championships.
As TGA Medalist Series have the intention of having a laid back feeling with minimal tournament operations set-up, the following is a list of potential items to not expect during your time playing:
- No TGA Staff and Referees/Officials on-site;
- No Operations setup (signage, tents, tables, feather banners, etc.);
- No Hole Location Sheets;
- No bottled water on the 1st or 10th tee (see pro shop for F&B and/or on-course beverage cart)
However, the following is a list of what TO EXPECT during your time playing:
- Tournament scorecards provided each round;
- Tournament Cart Signs (carts provided with tournament entry fee);
- Practice tee range balls (provided with tournament entry fee);
- Optional Skins Game (see Format below);
- Fun and enjoyable experience;
- Chance to meet other great people and networking;
- Great competition
Eligibility: All players who maintain an active World Handicap System (WHS) handicap of 15.0 or less through a TGA member club are eligible to compete in the TGA Medalist Series events. There are no regional restrictions (found in North and South Regional events); members can play in either the North or Hill Country Series. Players needing a WHS Handicap who are not members of a TGA member club can join the Medalist Golf Club (managed by the TGA online) by clicking here.
Format: Each TGA Medalist Series event will be individual 36-hole stroke play competition with no cut. Each event will have an Open and Senior Division. Senior Division requires the player to be age 55 or older by the first round of the tournament. Each division will play from a separate yardage throughout the tournament rounds. Separate Champions will be crowned for each division as well.
Skins: The TGA Medalist Series also offers players a chance to participate in an optional skins game for each round ($10 per round – enter with the golf shop). Open and Senior Divisions will compete in the same pool for a chance at the available pot. 100% of entries are paid out.
Entries: Online entries will be accepted and available on the TGA Competitions Calendar of the TGA website beginning in the first week of the year (for all TGA Medalist Series events). The TGA accepts credit card payment from VISA, Master Card or American Express.
2023 TGA Medalist Series Schedule
February 18-19 – Indian Creek Golf Course, Carrollton, TX
March 18-19 – Waterview Golf Club, Rowlett, TX
April 15 – 16 – The Bridges Golf Club, Gunter, TX
Medalist Hill Country
Febraury 18-19 – Frio Valley Ranch, Concan, TX
March 4-5 – Lighthouse Country Club, Kingsland, TX
April 15-16 – Ladybird Johnson Golf Course, Fredricksburg, TX
Medalist Gulf Coast
February 18-19 – Panorama Golf Course, Conroe, TX
March 11-12 – Quail Valley Golf Course, Missouri City, TX
April 1-2 – Atascocita Golf Club, Atascocita, TX
For each event players play, they will earn Medalist Player of the Year points based on their overall finish. There will be one (1) Medalist South POY and one (1) Medalist North POY and one (1) overall Medalist POY. Medalist POY points are only available to players participating in the Open Division. Earning POY points will only count for that respective series the points were earned (i.e. playing in the Medalist North #1 will only count towards the Medalist North POY standings – not Hill Country).
Provided players are otherwise eligible, earned exemptions and their qualifications are given out into the following tournaments:
- Texas Mid-Amateur Championship – The Medalist Player of the Year in North, Hill Country, and Gulf Coast Series receive exemptions into the 2023 Texas Mid-Amateur Championships at Midland CC
- Texas Senior Amateur – The Senior Medalist Player of the Year in North, Hill Country, and Gulf Coast Series receive exemptions into the 2023 Texas Senior Amateur Championships at Amarillo CC
- North Mid-Amateur – Top five (5) players on previous year’s Medalist North points list; (players must be located in North Texas region to use exemption)
- South Mid-Amateur – Top five (5) players on previous year’s Medalist Hill Country and Gulf Coast points list; (players must be located in South Texas region to use exemption)
- North Amateur – Top five (5) players on current year’s Medalist North points list; (players must be located in North Texas region to use exemption)
- South Amateur – Top five (5) players on current year’s Medalist Hill Country and Gulf Coast points list; (players must be located in South Texas region to use exemption)
Points are awarded base on the final finishing positions in the respective event. All ties, other than first place, which is determined by a sudden death playoff, will receive that positions full points (i.e. two players tie for second place will both receive the full allotment for second place).
TGA Medalist Series Point Value Table
|1) 500||10) 130||19) 40|
|2) 350||11) 120||20) 30|
|3) 250||12) 110||21) 25|
|4) 200||13) 100||22) 20|
|5) 175||14) 90||23) 15|
|6) 170||15) 80||24) 10|
|7) 160||16) 70||25) 5|
|8) 150||17) 60|
|9) 140||18) 50|
|STARTING TIMES/PAIRINGS |
|NORTH #1 YARDAGES |
|HILL COUNTRY #1 YARDAGES |
|GULF COAST #1 YARDAGES|
|TXGA HARD CARD|
|TXGA COMPETITION POLICIES|
|TXGA PAST CHAMPIONS|