TGA Medalist Series
About the TGA Medalist Series
The TGA Medalist Series was introduced in the 2007 tournament season as a means for members of the Texas Golf Association to kick start their tournament season. Whether you’re a seasoned competitive golfer or a new to the game with an itch to test your skills against fellow golf enthusiasts, the TGA Medalist Series provides a chance for players to play with a laid back feel.
Offering multiple events in North Texas and the Hill Country areas, the TGA Medalist Series provides ample opportunities for our amateur golfers to shake off the winter rust and get back into the swing of tournaments without jumping straight into regional or state championships.
As TGA Medalist Series have the intention of having a laid back feeling with minimal tournament operations set-up, the following is a list of potential items to not expect during your time playing:
- No TGA Staff and Referees/Officials on-site;
- No Operations setup (signage, tents, tables, feather banners, etc.);
- No Hole Location Sheets;
- No bottled water on the 1st or 10th tee (see pro shop for F&B and/or on-course beverage cart)
However, the following is a list of what TO EXPECT during your time playing:
- Tournament scorecards provided each round;
- Tournament Cart Signs (carts provided with tournament entry fee);
- Practice tee range balls (provided with tournament entry fee);
- Optional Skins Game (see Format below);
- Fun and enjoyable experience;
- Chance to meet other great people and networking;
- Great competition
All players who maintain an active World Handicap System (WHS) handicap of 15.0 or less through a TGA member club are eligible to compete in the TGA Medalist Series events. There are no regional restrictions (found in North and South Regional events); members can play in either the North or Hill Country Series. Players needing a WHS Handicap who are not members of a TGA member club can join the Medalist Golf Club (managed by the TGA online) by clicking here.
Each TGA Medalist Series event will be individual 36-hole stroke play competition with no cut. Each event will have an Open and Senior Division. Senior Division requires the player to be age 55 or older by the first round of the tournament. Each division will play from a separate yardage throughout the tournament rounds. Separate Champions will be crowned for each division as well.
The TGA Medalist Series also offers players a chance to participate in an optional skins game for each round ($10 per round – enter with the golf shop). Open and Senior Divisions will compete in the same pool for a chance at the available pot. 100% of entries are paid out.
Online entries will be accepted and available on the TGA Competitions Calendar of the TGA website beginning in the first week of the year (for all TGA Medalist Series events). The TGA accepts credit card payment from VISA, Master Card or American Express.
2020 TGA Medalist Series Schedule
February 27-28 – The Courses at Watters Creek, Plano, TX
March 13-14 – Golf Club of Dallas, Dallas, TX
April 17-18 – Rockwall Golf & Athletic Club, Rockwall, TX
Medalist Hill Country
April 24-25 – Lighthouse Country Club, Kingsland, TX
For each event players play, they will earn Medalist Player of the Year points based on their overall finish. There will be one (1) Medalist Hill Country POY and one (1) Medalist North POY. Medalist POY points are only available to players participating in the Open Division. Earning POY points will only count for that respective series the points were earned (i.e. playing in the Medalist North #1 will only count towards the Medalist North POY standings – not Hill Country).
Provided players are otherwise eligible, earned exemptions and their qualifications are given out into the following tournaments:
- Texas Mid-Amateur Championship – The Medalist Player of the Year in both the North and Hill Country Series receive exemptions into the 2020 Texas Mid-Amateur Championships at The Clubs at Houston Oaks, TX on September 10-12, 2021.
- North Mid-Amateur – Top five (5) players on previous year’s Medalist North points list
- South Mid-Amateur – Top five (5) players on previous year’s Medalist Hill Country points list
- North Amateur – Top five (5) players on current year’s Medalist North points list
- South Amateur – Top five (5) players on current year’s Medalist Hill Country points list
Points are awarded base on the final finishing positions in the respective event. All ties, other than first place, which is determined by a sudden death playoff, will receive that positions full points (i.e. two players tie for second place will both receive the full allotment for second place).
TGA Medalist Series Point Value Table
|1) 500||10) 130||19) 40|
|2) 350||11) 120||20) 30|
|3) 250||12) 110||21) 25|
|4) 200||13) 100||22) 20|
|5) 175||14) 90||23) 15|
|6) 170||15) 80||24) 10|
|7) 160||16) 70||25) 5|
|8) 150||17) 60|
|9) 140||18) 50|
To view the TGA Medalist Player of the Year standings for both the North and Hill Country, click here.