Texas Shootout Set for Nov 6-8
The state’s top 24 amateurs from North and South Texas will gather at the Traditions Club at Texas A&M for the 17th Annual Texas Shootout from Nov. 6-8.
This will be the first Texas Shootout and third overall Texas Golf Association championship held at Traditions Club. Previously, the club was the site of the 2017 Women’s Texas Amateur, won by Maddie McCrary, and the 2014 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play, won by Mike Peck.
“We are extremely excited to be able to host this year’s Texas Shootout at the Traditions Club,” said Ian Davis, TGA Tournament Director. “The golf course is extremely challenging and will test every aspect of a player’s game. The layout features many risk-reward options, which will add a great deal of excitement and suspense to the Shootout’s team match play format.”
Designed by Jack Nicklaus and Jack Nicklaus II, Traditions Club opened for play in 2004 and serves as the home of the Texas A&M Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams. Nestled hard against the banks of Turkey Creek, the Nicklaus duo seamlessly incorporated the native hardwoods, rolling hillsides and natural water features into a stunning layout, one that demands precision tee shots and approaches, as well as a steady hand on the quick undulating greens.
First conducted in 2003, the season-ending Texas Shootout is by invitation-only and features the top 12 players (eight mid-amateurs and four seniors) from North Texas squaring off against their counterparts from South Texas in a Ryder Cup-style competition.
Players earn their way onto their respective teams by accumulating points throughout the year in designated TGA regional and statewide tournaments, as well as USGA national championships. North and South regions are defined as either being above or below the 31’ parallel (Salado, Texas).
Of the eight mid-amateurs selected from each region, five come from the TGA Statewide Player of the Year point standings and three from the Regional Player of the Year point standings. The top four North and South senior players are chosen based on the Statewide Senior Player of the Year point standings.
“Traditions Club is excited to open its doors for the 2020 edition of the Texas Shootout,” said Ryan Briggs, Tradition Club’s Head Golf Professional. “We are honored to host 24 of the top amateur golfers in the state of Texas for two days of intense competition. These players have pushed all year to qualify for their respective teams, and we will no doubt give them a great stage to battle for the title.”
The format for the Shootout includes foursome, four-ball and singles matches. A total of 24 matches will be played over the two days. Each match is worth three points – one point each for front nine, back nine and 18 – making for 72 available points. The first team to accumulate 36½ points is the winner.
At the 2019 Texas Shootout, hosted by Willow Brook Country Club in Tyler, the South Texas Team snapped a two-year losing streak by defeating the North Texas Team, 37-35. The overall series is now tied 8-8.
- Timeline Photos We asked -- you answered, and with 300 votes in, here are your #Top10 #BucketList Courses in #Texas nominees. As for the moment you’ve been waiting for… #Congratulations Jim J., your vote won you two #Free entries to an upcoming ... 8 CommentsOnly missing 4 and 10..but out assistant went to Colonial...so gonna check that box..and do Shady Oaks same trip.. Brook hollow, Lochinvar. Austin Golf Club. Escondido.Spanish Oaks should be on this list17 Likes
- 🚨2021 SCHEDULE RELEASED
Men's Schedule ➡️ https://txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any&event_type=33
Women's Schedule ➡️ https://txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any&event_type=34
*NOTE: There are a few TGA events not on the calendar. They are still scheduled, but have yet to be sited - stay tuned. 7 Likes
- Lone Star Golf October 2020Engage with the TGA: Texas Bucket List #LastCall The deadline is this Thursday, Nov. 5 @ midnight CST. The winner of #FreeGolf for two will be announced on Fri., Nov. 6. Get your votes in now on which course tops your Texas Golf Bucket List! #LoneStarGolf
- Giving Tuesday Play Day- Crown Colony Country Club Event Portal :: Join us on Dec. 1 at Crown Colony Golf & Pro Shop for our 2-Person Scramble TGA #FunGolf Play Day! This 18-hole "Crown Jewel" is a fantastic getaway for any #golf enthusiast! Nestled in the tall pine trees of #EastTexas, ... 2 Likes
- Lone Star Golf October 2020Engage with the TGA: Texas Bucket List What's on your #TexasGolf bucket list? Take our brief survey for your chance to win a #FunGolf Play Day for two at one of our upcoming Dec. 1 Play Days. Follow the #LoneStarGolf link for details!
- 5 Things to Know: Fall Golf and World Handicap System October often signals the end of the season for many golfers, but opportunities still remain to post scores toward your Handicap Index. Here are 5 things to know about fall golf. 1 Likes
- TGA Players Box #THANKYOU for a record-breaking sellout this #TexasTuesday! Stay tuned for November's Texas Tuesday deal. Skip the wait & keep the deals coming when you sign up for the #TGAPlayersBox. Enjoy $30 off your first box when you join by Oct. ... 1 Likes
- 👏 Congratulations, Ashley Yen, on receiving the 2020 USGA-AJGA Presidents' Leadership Award! You are truly a leader on and off the course! Way to represent the state of Texas!
🔗 Learn More: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/10/usga-ajga-presidents-leadership-award-2020-yen-creamean.html#returnable
Legends Junior Tour | United States Golf ... 1 CommentsCongrats Ashley!7 Likes
- 🏆 Marian Barker carded rounds of 74-77-70 at Ridglea Country Club to claim the 2020 Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship!
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-senior-stroke-play-championship-2020-leaderboard
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/09/30/marian-barker-wins-2020-womens-senior-stroke-play/ 5 Likes
- Ryan O’Rear won the 37th Texas Mid-Amateur late Sunday afternoon after defeating two-time champion Colby Harwell on the seventh sudden-death playoff hole at Oak Hills Country Club. The 29-year-old from Leander captures the victory with a 72-hole total of 3-under ... 24 Likes
- Padden Nelson's rounds of 67-69 give the 40-year-old a three-shot lead over Johnathan Schnitzer heading into Sunday at Oak Hills Country Club San Antonio. Nelson seeks his first TGA major championship with 18 holes to play. #TexasMidAm
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/10/03/padden-nelson-holds-lead-at-37th-texas-mid-amateur/
... 1 CommentsThought scores would be lower at OHCC.4 Likes
- Austen Fulmer leads the #TexasMidAm after an opening 5-under-par 66 Oak Hills Country Club San Antonio. The 38-year-old will carry a one-stroke lead into Saturday's second round.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/10/02/austen-fulmer-leads-37th-texas-mid-amateur/
🔗 Leaderboard: https://txga.org/texas-mid-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 7 Likes
- Sulphur Springs Country Club Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome #LastCall to join us as we head East for our next #FunGolf Play Day!⠀
📍 Sulphur Springs Country Club
📅 Fri., October 9 @ 1:30 PM Shotgun Start
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Food ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post John Derrick Wins the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur
WACO – Most golfers know how important course knowledge is when it comes to certain venues. The trickier the track, the more crucial it is to know the lay of the land. ... 7 CommentsWell played John. There was some great players in the tournament and the course playing its most difficult.Woo hoo! Congrats!Congratulations JD! Well played my friend ...👍26 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Craig Hurlbert Leads 83rd Texas Senior Amateur through 36 Holes
WACO – Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia is 18 holes away from his fifth amateur victory of the year. He says the key for him to win the 83rd Texas Senior ... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Hurlbert, Smith Tied for 83rd Texas Senior Amateur Lead
WACO – Only two players broke par at venerable Ridgewood Country Club on Friday during the first round of the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur. Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia and Houston’s Scott ... 4 Likes
- Round 1 of the 83rd #TexasSeniorAm is underway at Ridgewood Country Club. Follow your favorite senior amateurs' progress with our live, hole-by-hole scoring: https://t.co/XasNhndFBa 3 CommentsThis was my first TGA tournament and I had a really great time and met the nicest ladies! I didn't ...It’s about time you let someone else win!Karen Fiducia I played too well yesterday which put me in a higher flight. If I shot the game I ...Don Bord here is where you can follow the scores!4 Likes