Doris-Kallina/’Nez Muhleman Scholarship
The scholarship is named for Doris Kallina and ‘Nez Muhleman, two women who have given their time, energy and resources to promote women’s golf in Texas for many years. Both served as Past Presidents of the former WTGA and also have long and distinguished legacies with the USGA as volunteers, committee members and officials. Their contributions to the game of golf have benefitted countless women and girls and their dedication, character and lifelong connection to golf are attributes that the TGA Foundation Scholarship Program endeavors to honor and encourage in the next generation of young women.
Financial Details and How to Apply
The next Doris Kallina / ‘Nez Muhleman Scholarship to be awarded will be in 2023. This will be awarded to a high school senior or a freshman in college. Applications will be accepted January 23, 2023 – March 5, 2023. We will announce the scholarship award winner on April 5, 2023. To apply, email Kelly Kilgo at [email protected]g the following documents:
2 Recommendation letters
Your High School Transcript
SAT or ACT official document with score
Cover letter highlighting your financial need for this scholarship, as well as your general background and golf background if available.
Email [email protected] with any questions as well.
- The four-year value of the scholarship is $25,000.
- $3,000 will awarded to a recipient in 2023.
- The award is given annually and renewal must be applied for each year according to the guidelines below. The scholarship is committed for up to four (4) years to the selected 2023 recipient in increasing amounts each year as follows.
Scholarship funds will only be disbursed to a university or previously approved third party, and will not be paid directly to the scholarship recipient.
Current & Past Recipients
2019 – Abigail Dobbs
2015 – Rakeisha Wines
- Applicants must be female and a U.S. Citizen with a residence of record in Texas.
- Applicants must demonstrate participation in an organized junior golf program.
- Applicants may not be the immediate family of any current TGA Director, Women’s Committee member or substantial contributor to the TGA.
- Applicants must have completed (or plan to complete) high school prior to the award year, and must be enrolled (or planning to enroll) as a full time student at an accredited college or university located within the United States. A full time student is defined as one who is taking 12 or more hours in a course of study leading to a traditional associate (2 year) or baccalaureate (4 year) degree, or considered a full-time student by her respective institution.
- Applicants’ cumulative grade point average must be at least 2.75 on a 4.0 grading scale.
- The application must be completed in its entirety and signed and dated by both the applicant and the applicants’ parent(s) or guardian.
- Applicants must demonstrate participation in extra-curricular activities.
- Applicants must provide 2 letters of recommendation, one being from school staff.
- Applicants must provide two personal references which may be contacted during the selection process. At least one of the references should be a peer.
The Doris Kallina / ‘Nez Muhleman Scholarship will be awarded based on a review of four primary criteria as demonstrated in the following application and attachments.
- Academic proficiency (Section II)
- Desire for higher education (Section III)
- Honors / Extracurricular activities (Section IV)
- Participation in organized junior golf program (Section V)
A cover letter, the completed application and all required attachments must be submitted electronically no later than March 5th of the year being applied for by 5:00 PM CST. The TGA Foundation Committee will review all submitted applications and recommend a recipient for approval by the TGA Foundation Board of Directors. The successful candidate will be notified no later than April 5th.
The successful applicant must:
- Enroll and maintain full-time enrollment at an accredited college or university located within the United States.
- Maintain a 2.75 GPA on a 4.0 grading scale.
- Attend an event to be determined by the Women’s Committee and publicly accept the scholarship award.
- Allow use of their photo and information from their application for promotional activities for the Women’s Committee and TGA Foundation.
- Apply for renewal as follows in order to receive scholarship funds in any year after the scholarship is awarded.
- This scholarship may be renewed annually for the applicable amount (as above), not to exceed a period of four years. The recipient must request renewal no later than June 1 annually.
- The renewal applicant must provide current contact information for recipient and family contact.
- The renewal applicant must provide a transcript for the prior year (Must have completed at least a full-time class load and maintained at least a cumulative 2.75 GPA on 4.0 scale).
- The renewal applicant must provide a brief narrative summary of prior year college experience and future plans for use in Women’s Committee and TGA Foundation communications.
- Renewal may be denied to any candidate failing to meet any of the above requirements.
If a candidate fails to apply for or gain renewal during the term of the scholarship, all remaining years of eligibility will be forfeited and applications will be opened for new candidates.