USGA BACKS THE ART OF GREEN READING
One of the modifications to the Rules of Golf made by the USGA and R&A that went into effect on Jan. 1 was a limit on the use of green-reading materials. The new interpretation of Rule 4.3 (“Use of Equipment”) reaffirms the governing bodies’ view that the ability of golfers to read greens using their own judgment is an essential skill that should be maintained. The new Rule also defines how such materials may be used.
In short, the proliferation of green-reading books was turning the game into more of a science than art and skill. Golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the judgment, skills and abilities of the player. The USGA and R&A agree that a player’s ability to read greens using their own senses is an art and a skill. It’s part of the spirit of the game.
The new interpretation limits the size and scale of detailed putting-green maps and any similar electronic or digital materials that a player may use during a round to assist with reading his or her line of play on the putting green. The USGA has a page on their website dedicated to the new interpretation of Rule 4.3 (“Use of Equipment”). GREEN-READING MATERIAL RESOURCES
A LITTLE ENCOURAGEMENT GOES A LONG WAY
Empowering girls through the game of golf and inspiring them to dream BIG is what LPGA-USGA Girls Golf and the TGA Foundation’s Winners’ Program are all about.
Established in 1989, LPGA-USGA Girls Golf is the only national junior golf program that specializes in providing girl-friendly environments for juniors to learn the game of golf, as well as develop valuable life skills like confidence and perseverance. The Winners’ Program, now in its 11th year, is a golf-and-grades initiative of the TGA Foundation in partnership with the LPGA-USGA Girls Golf of Texas Chapters. Many graduates of the programs have grown to become mentors and leaders for the younger players, while some current program members are shining examples of what is possible if given a little encouragement along the way.
Just before the start of summer, the Lady Bulldogs of McGregor High School, located southwest of Waco, won the Class 3A Texas State Girls Golf Championship at Grey Rock Country Club in Austin. For three members of the team, the journey to lifting the trophy started long before regional or even district competition. It began five years ago, when they were introduced to the game at LPGA-USGA Girls Golf of Waco. READ MORE
TEXAS GOLF HALL OF FAME ANNOUNCES CLASS OF 2019
The Texas Golf Hall of Fame recently announced its 2019 Class of Inductees. The incoming class will be honored with a formal induction ceremony at The San Antonio Country Club on Monday, October 14. Along with the evening’s festivities that are open to the public, each of the 2019 Inductee’s distinguished history of achievement will be commemorated on granite markers on the prestigious Texas Golf Walk of Fame at historic Brackenridge Park Golf Course.
The Texas Golf Hall of Fame 2019 Inductees are Jimmy Walker of Boerne (Professional Player), Mike Booker of Houston (Amateur Player), Fin Ewing, III of Dallas (Lifetime Achievement), Cameron Doan of Dallas (Golf Professional/Teacher) and Shady Oaks Country Club in Fort Worth (Texas Registry of Historic Golf Courses). READ MORE
FRESH IDEAS IN F&B [CMAA]
Clubs are coming up with new ways to make dining more appealing to members. Many of today’s members are seeking meaningful experiences. And while great service and amenities are important elements, creating new experiences doesn’t have to be expensive.
What’s most important is to come up with fresh, creative ideas. And food & beverage events are one of the most cost-effective ways to add wow to the club experience without spending a fortune.
Many clubs get ideas from clubs outside their region. They borrow an idea, freshen it up and adapt it to their club. In her article for CMAA Magazine, author Rebecca Larsen looks at some of the best ideas from clubs around the U.S. READ MORE
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes