USGA BACKS THE ART OF GREEN READING
One of the modifications to the Rules of Golf made by the USGA and R&A that went into effect on Jan. 1 was a limit on the use of green-reading materials. The new interpretation of Rule 4.3 (“Use of Equipment”) reaffirms the governing bodies’ view that the ability of golfers to read greens using their own judgment is an essential skill that should be maintained. The new Rule also defines how such materials may be used.
In short, the proliferation of green-reading books was turning the game into more of a science than art and skill. Golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the judgment, skills and abilities of the player. The USGA and R&A agree that a player’s ability to read greens using their own senses is an art and a skill. It’s part of the spirit of the game.
The new interpretation limits the size and scale of detailed putting-green maps and any similar electronic or digital materials that a player may use during a round to assist with reading his or her line of play on the putting green. The USGA has a page on their website dedicated to the new interpretation of Rule 4.3 (“Use of Equipment”). GREEN-READING MATERIAL RESOURCES
A LITTLE ENCOURAGEMENT GOES A LONG WAY
Empowering girls through the game of golf and inspiring them to dream BIG is what LPGA-USGA Girls Golf and the TGA Foundation’s Winners’ Program are all about.
Established in 1989, LPGA-USGA Girls Golf is the only national junior golf program that specializes in providing girl-friendly environments for juniors to learn the game of golf, as well as develop valuable life skills like confidence and perseverance. The Winners’ Program, now in its 11th year, is a golf-and-grades initiative of the TGA Foundation in partnership with the LPGA-USGA Girls Golf of Texas Chapters. Many graduates of the programs have grown to become mentors and leaders for the younger players, while some current program members are shining examples of what is possible if given a little encouragement along the way.
Just before the start of summer, the Lady Bulldogs of McGregor High School, located southwest of Waco, won the Class 3A Texas State Girls Golf Championship at Grey Rock Country Club in Austin. For three members of the team, the journey to lifting the trophy started long before regional or even district competition. It began five years ago, when they were introduced to the game at LPGA-USGA Girls Golf of Waco. READ MORE
TEXAS GOLF HALL OF FAME ANNOUNCES CLASS OF 2019
The Texas Golf Hall of Fame recently announced its 2019 Class of Inductees. The incoming class will be honored with a formal induction ceremony at The San Antonio Country Club on Monday, October 14. Along with the evening’s festivities that are open to the public, each of the 2019 Inductee’s distinguished history of achievement will be commemorated on granite markers on the prestigious Texas Golf Walk of Fame at historic Brackenridge Park Golf Course.
The Texas Golf Hall of Fame 2019 Inductees are Jimmy Walker of Boerne (Professional Player), Mike Booker of Houston (Amateur Player), Fin Ewing, III of Dallas (Lifetime Achievement), Cameron Doan of Dallas (Golf Professional/Teacher) and Shady Oaks Country Club in Fort Worth (Texas Registry of Historic Golf Courses). READ MORE
FRESH IDEAS IN F&B [CMAA]
Clubs are coming up with new ways to make dining more appealing to members. Many of today’s members are seeking meaningful experiences. And while great service and amenities are important elements, creating new experiences doesn’t have to be expensive.
What’s most important is to come up with fresh, creative ideas. And food & beverage events are one of the most cost-effective ways to add wow to the club experience without spending a fortune.
Many clubs get ideas from clubs outside their region. They borrow an idea, freshen it up and adapt it to their club. In her article for CMAA Magazine, author Rebecca Larsen looks at some of the best ideas from clubs around the U.S. READ MORE
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes