CONTACTLESS GOLF PRACTICES, SOLUTIONS FOR USGA TM CLUB USERS
With proper safety protocols in place, over the past few months it’s been proven golf can be played safely and responsibly in the midst of a pandemic. As we continue to learn more about how to navigate this complicated COVID-19 environment, course owners and operators need to remain steadfast in enforcing the protocols, yet flexible in adjusting to the “new normal” to protect the health and safety of all involved, including players, staff and the community.
One of the most important safety measures clubs can implement in the current climate is to limit physical interaction with players. To help clubs continue to maintain a high-level of customer service even while practicing social distancing, Golf Genius has created a new section in the Knowledge Base that contains a growing list of Contactless Golf practices and solutions for users of USGA TM Club () and USGA TM Club Premium (). If you are currently a USGA TM Club user and are interested in upgrading to Club Premium, please contact , TGA’s Technical Services Manager, for more information.
While each club faces its own set of unique challenges, not the least of which is that government-mandated safety guidelines are likely to be different from region to region, the overall purpose of these Golf Genius articles is to encourage social distancing with Contactless Golf.
USGA VIRTUAL RULES SCHOOL
The USGA has produced a comprehensive video series that provides nearly 20 hours of content covering the Rules of Golf using pictures, animations and videos to help bring the Rules to life. It gives viewers the ability to learn at their own pace and from wherever they are, no matter if it’s in the office, at home or on the go.
The videos feature instruction by Rules of Golf experts from the USGA staff who have thousands of hours of experience teaching this material throughout the U.S. to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of the Rules, from avid golfers to golf club operators and regional golf administrators to referees working at the highest levels of amateur and professional golf. Among the topics covered in the video series include the two fundamental principles of the Rules – Playing the Course as it is Found and Playing the Ball as it Lies, the differences between match play and stroke play with and without partners, every procedure and relief option available, how penalties are structured and much more. For a limited time (through Aug. 31), the USGA is making the full Virtual Rules School available for $25 for 30 days of streaming access through Vimeo.
TEXAS GOLF HALL OF FAME ANNOUNCES CLASS OF 2020
The Texas Golf Hall of Fame recently announced its 2020 Class of Inductees. The incoming class will be honored with a formal induction ceremony at the Houston Country Club at a date and time to be determined. Along with the evening’s festivities that are open to the public, each of the 2020 Inductee’s distinguished history of achievement will be commemorated on granite markers on the prestigious Texas Golf Walk of Fame at historic Brackenridge Park Golf Course in San Antonio.
The Texas Golf Hall of Fame 2020 Inductees are Angela Stanford (Professional Player), Hank Kuehne (Amateur Player), Verne Lundquist (Lifetime Achievement), Mike Wright (Golf Professional/Teacher), Dow Finsterwald, Jr. (Golf Professional/Teacher) and Oak Hills Country Club in San Antonio (Texas Registry of Historic Golf Courses).
STAYING CALM AND COOL DURING A PANDEMIC [CMAA]
Club managers say they’ve never been hit by anything like COVID-19, but they’re focusing on their work, their employees and the future. Craig Schaner, CCM, thought he knew what stress was. As general manager of Lakeside Country Club in Houston, his whole world was turned upside down when Hurricane Harvey hit in August 2017, flooding the clubhouse and the surrounding property.
For the past two and a half years, Schaner, along with members and staff, had to overcome numerous hurdles to rebuild the club. So challenging was the process that the club president’s battle cry through it all was: “Embrace the suck.”
A brand new 90,000-square-foot clubhouse was the resulting centerpiece of those efforts.
After a lavish reopening party on March 1, Schaner was ready to get back to business and restart the club’s food & beverage operations. That was until Texas shut down all restaurants to prevent the spread of COVID-19 the night before Lakeside’s dining operation was supposed to reopen.
“What are the odds of that?” Schaner said.
Unfortunately, in 2020 bad luck appears to be contagious and all encompassing. Still, Schaner is philosophical about the challenges he has faced and continues to face as COVID-19 upends everyone’s life, including that of those in the club industry.
“The one thing I’ve learned is how much I’ve had to raise my game,” Schaner said. “I’ve had to embrace the suck and step up. There is no rule book. There is no crisis management plan for what we’re going through.”
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes