Women’s Four-Ball Set for Aug. 10-11
MIDLAND – The 2020 Women’s Four-Ball will be played Aug. 10-11 at Midland Country Club.
“The TGA is very excited to return to Midland Country Club,” TGA Director of Women’s Operations Amy Worthington said. “Since the event was started, the field has continued to get stronger and stronger and showcase some of the most talented players in the state.”
Founded in 1927, Midland Country Club opened as a nine-hole course with sand greens. From these modest beginnings, the championship golf course has evolved into one of the premier private clubs in West Texas. At its center is a classic parkland course that was designed in 1951 by Texas Golf Hall of Famer Ralph Plummer. In the fall of 2015, the club hired Weibring-Wolfard Golf Design to oversee a major renovation of the golf course and practice facility. The $8.9 million project finished in 2017 and includes a modernized 7,354-yard, par-72 championship course to better test the skills of today’s players.
Over the years, Midland Country Club has played host to many elite amateur tournaments, including eight TGA Major Championships (the 1965, 1971 and 1997 Texas Amateur, 1995 Texas Mid-Amateur, 1970 and 1979 Texas Senior Amateur and the 1963 and 2001 Women’s Texas Amateur). Midland Country Club Head Golf Professional Evan Dunkerson says the membership and staff is excited to welcome some of the top female amateur golfers back to West Texas.
“To be selected to host any TGA event is an honor,” Dunkerson said. “But to be selected to host an event as unique as the Women’s Four-Ball is special. We look forward to hosting a great field of talented and competitive women from all over the state of Texas.”
Scheduled for 36 holes of four-ball stroke play, the Women’s Four-Ball will feature two sets of tees for the second consecutive year. The TGA wants to encourage women’s participation at every stage, from juniors to collegiate players to senior amateurs of all skill levels. The 10 teams with the lowest combined WHS handicap indexes will be required to play in the Championship Flight. All other teams have the choice to select which flight they would prefer to compete in.
“The separate tees will allow for a better playing experience for all of our players and makes this championship more competitive,” Worthington said.
The first Women’s Four-Ball was held in 2007 at Redstone Golf Club. Now in its 14th playing, the Women’s Four-Ball continues to attract some of the state’s best female amateur golfers.
Last year, Faith Delagarza of Midland and Amari Smith of McKinney fired a closing 9-under-par 63 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club’s Miller Course. Delagarza and Smith, who are teammates at Dallas Baptist University, will look to defend their title this year at Midland Country Club.
For more information about the Women’s Four-Ball, click here.
ABOUT THE TGA: Founded in 1906 as the governing body of amateur golf in Texas, the TGA is an official representative of the United States Golf Association and the only licensed distributor of USGA GHIN Handicaps. We serve all golfers across Texas with elite competitive championships and recreational playing opportunities for men, women, seniors and juniors. The TGA is represented by hundreds of public and private facility Member Clubs throughout the state. It is our honor and responsibility to promote, protect and grow the game of golf on all levels. To learn more, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes