Schultz, Williams Extend Lead at Texas Four-Ball
MONTGOMERY – Russell Williams of Prosper and Jason Schultz of Allen extend their lead at the Texas Four-Ball after carding an 8-under-par 64 in the second round at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club’s Weiskopf Course.
Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Williams and Schultz begin Saturday afternoon right where they left off as Schultz birdied four of his opening six holes.
He carded another birdie on the par-4 18th to turn in 5-under 31 on his own ball. On the back nine, Schultz and Williams teamed up for three more birdies to post 20-under par through two rounds and lead the field by three strokes.
“My partner played really well today,” Williams said. “He was striping the ball. I picked him up on about three holes, other than that, it was a Jason Schultz show.”
Though Williams and Schultz have played together for many years, they are teeing it up in the Texas Four-Ball as a team for the first time. The duo finds themselves atop the leaderboard with 18 holes to play; however, they plan to keep the same mentality for Sunday’s final round.
“We just look forward to having some fun,” Schultz said. “I got a good partner and that’s all you can ask for. We’ll just keep doing what we’re doing.”
Chris Goodspeed of Dallas and Frisco’s Bell Steen sit three shots back of Williams and Schultz. The three-time Texas Four-Ball champions (1996, 1997, 2002) carded nine birdies and an eagle en route to a 10-under-par 62, tying the low-round of the day.
Goodpseed, 54, and Steen, 54, have been friends since the first grade. They played collegiate golf together at Abiliene Christian University and on Sunday, they’ll look to add a fourth Texas Four-Ball title to their amateur golf careers.
“He’s my best friend and I love getting to play golf with him,” Steen said.
Three teams are tied for third at 16-under par for the championship. Scott Loving and Brandon Destefano of Conroe matched their opening 64 with another round at 8-under. Rob Couture of Dallas and Tyler’s Aaron Hickman carded a bogey-free 7-under-par 65 on Friday, while Will Griffin and Coy Breen of San Antonio birdied their final hole to shoot 6-under 66. All three teams will begin the final round four shots behind Williams and Schultz.
Following play on Saturday, the Championship Division was cut to the top 27 teams for Sunday’s final round.
In the Senior Division, two teams are tied atop the leaderboard. David Ortego of Spring and Sugar Land’s Gordan Wagner followed their opening 63 with a 4-under-par 68. They are tied with Mike Peck and Steve Love of Irving who carded a 6-under-par 66 on Saturday. Kenneth Coutant of Dallas and McKinney’s Bill Jackson are solo third after consecutive rounds of 66.
John Pierce of San Antonio and Burleson’s Lewis Stephenson are tied for fourth with Kip Estep of Rockwall and Houston’s Scott Smith. They are at 12-under-par 133 overall and will begin Sunday’s final round two strokes behind the leaders. The Senior Division was cut to the top 10 teams following the second round.
In the Super Senior Division, John Kennedy and Ford Cartwright of Lufkin continued to play solid golf on Saturday. They carded three birdies and an eagle en route to a 4-under-par 68. Kennedy and Cartwright hold a three-shot lead over Tom McGraw of Montgomery and Houston’s Charles Reeve who are 9-under through two rounds.
Richard Hageman of Garden Ridge and Spring’s Dan Alpha are third at 8-under-par 135 overall. Following the second round, the Super Senior Division was cut to the top six teams and ties.
For Bentwater Yacht & Country Club, this is the fifth time it has played host to a TGA major championship. Through the years, the club has hosted the Texas Mid-Amateur, Texas Senior Amateur, Club Team and Texas Father-Son. It’s the first time Bentwater Yacht & CC has been the site for the Texas Four-Ball.
The final round of the Texas Four-Ball begins Sunday at 8 a.m. at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club’s Weiskopf Course. For more information on this championship, click here
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 11 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...