Bluebonnet Championship Set for its 19th Year
BROWNWOOD – The Legends Junior Tour continues its tradition of hosting the annual Bluebonnet Championship after rescheduling the premier junior tournament from its original May 2-3 dates to Sept. 26-27. Despite being postponed to the fall due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the championship returns to Brownwood Country Club and will host 120 of the best juniors in Texas.
“Brownwood Country Club has always been an amazing host for the Bluebonnet Championship and didn’t hesitate to help us find a new weekend in the fall when we were unable to play in May,” Legends Junior Tour Tournament Director Kevin Porter said. “This has always been one of the most competitive and fun events each year and the LJT is thrilled to keep it on the 2020 schedule.”
The Bluebonnet Championship was started by Brownwood businessman Bart Johnson in 2001 and has been be played at Brownwood Country Club since its inception. The par-72 course was designed by Leon Howard and opened in 1929. It features an open layout that gives players ample opportunities at making low scores. However, the greens can be challenging and guard against a lack of focus. The 36-hole championship features three separate divisions: Boys 15-18, Girls 12-18 and Boys 14 & Under.
Last year, Brody Hanley of Lantana carded rounds of 68-66 to post 10-under-par 134 and tie Jackson Davenport of Austin through 36 holes. Hanley carded a birdie on the first sudden-death playoff hole to capture the Boys 15-18 Division title. In the Girls 12-18 Division, MacKenzie Moore of Trophy Club edged out three-time LJT Player of the Year Hailey Jones as well as top-ranked junior Calynne Rosholt by two strokes with rounds of 68-73. Moore will look to defend her title this year and win back-to-back LJT events following her victory at the North Texas Classic earlier this month.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Trenton Mierl of Austin is also seeking to defend his 2019 title and win back-to-back LJT tournaments. Like Moore, he recently claimed the North Texas Classic by four strokes after posting 10-under-par 134 through 36 holes.
Hanley, Moore and Mierl are just a few of the decorated past champions of this prestigious junior championship. The impressive list of past Bluebonnet Championship winners includes two PGA Tour winners, Patrick Reed and Cody Gribble, as well as 2020 PGA Tour Rookie of the Year Scottie Scheffler, Brett Spencer, Cory Whitsett, Charles Kim, Cooper Dossey, Maddie Szeryk, Greta Bruner and Stratton Nolen. After not being held in 2006, the Legends Junior Tour took control of the tournament in 2007 and it has consistently produced one of the largest and strongest fields of the year.
This championship is ranked by both Junior Golf Scoreboard and Golfweek. Competitors who finish in the top half of the field will gain points towards the LJT Player of the Year Standings. The top five finishers in the Boys 15-18 Division will earn a spot in the 2021 Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship and the 95th Texas Junior Amateur. The winners of the Boys 14 & Under Division and the Girls 12-18 Division will each earn an exemption into the 2020 Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational and 2021 George Hannon Junior Invitational.
Along with rankings on the Legends Junior Tour, the top finishers in each division will earn AJGA stars based on their finishes.
For more information about the Bluebonnet Championship, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 11 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...