JT Pittman Takes the Lead at 92nd West Texas Amateur
Briefly: JT Pittman of Monahans leads the 92nd West Texas Amateur after a 2-under-par 70 in Round 2. He holds a one-shot lead at 6-under 138 overall. Brad Wayment of Trophy Club carded a 1-under 71 and remains atop the Senior Division by one stroke, and Ed Turner of Dallas leads the Super Senior Division by three after rounds of 74-71.
1) JT Pittman Monahans 68-70 | 138
2) Michael Heidelbaugh Dallas 72-67 | 139
T3) Robert Johnson Abilene 71-71 | 142
T3) Jack Anderson Round Rock 72-70 | 142
T3) Collin Clark Midlothian 66-76 | 142
T6) Brian Boles Lubbock 72-71 | 143
T6) Jansen Smith San Angelo 74-69 | 143
T6) Caleb Hicks Arlington 76-67 | 143
T6) Tyler Uhlig Magnolia 71-72 | 143
Golf Course: Founded in 1978, Bentwood Country Club is the centerpiece of a master-planned community located near the shores of Lake Nasworthy. Designed by Billy Martindale and Jeffery Blume, the golf course has all the elements of a classic parkland layout, including narrow fairways, numerous water hazards, prominent bunkering and large, undulating green complexes. When the wind blows, as it frequently does, Bentwood Country Club provides a stern challenge for even the most accomplished players. Round 2 was contested at 7,067 yards.
Weather: The temperature reached 95 degrees with steady winds at 12 mph out of the south reaching gusts of 21 mph.
In Contention: JT Pittman of Monahans followed his 4-under 68 in Round 1 with a 2-under 70 on Saturday. The Midland College sophomore went out in 2-over 38, but rallied on the back nine. Pittman birdied four of his last nine holes to regain the lead and holds a one-shot advantage heading into the final round.
“In the past 36 holes, there have been some ups and there have been some downs, but all in all it has been a solid 36,” Pittman said. “I had a double today which hurt a lot, but I came back strong and made some birdies on the back nine.”
Michael Heidelbaugh of Dallas fired a 5-under 67 and is solo second at 5-under 139 overall. The incoming Texas A&M freshman carded six birdies and an eagle in Saturday’s round. Robert Johnson of Abilene, University of New Mexico junior Jack Anderson, and University of Texas at San Antonio senior Collin Clark are tied third at 2-under par. Four players in the Championship Division are tied sixth at 1-under par.
In the Senior Division, Brad Wayment of Trophy Club held his lead going into Sunday’s final round. Wayment carded six birdies in Round 2 bringing him to 4-under through 36 holes. Mike Lohner of Southlake remains one shot back after a 2-under-par 70. Lohner went out in 37 on the front side, and played strong at the turn with a 3-under 33 on the back. Jerry Slagle of Southlake and Ed Brooks of Fort Worth are tied third at 1-over par. Three players are tied fifth at 2-over par.
In The Super Senior Division, Ed Turner of Dallas carded four birdies to shoot a 1-under 71 in Round 2. Turner leads with 1-over par through 36 holes. Doug Hopton-Jones of Mansfield remains three shots back after a 1-over 73. Jim Grubbs of Austin and Lynn Cormier of Missouri City are tied third at 6-over-par. Kent Samuel of The Woodlands and Dickie Williams of Montgomery are tied fifth at 10-over par.
What’s Next: Final Round tee times start Sunday at 7:30 a.m. off No. 1 & 10 tees at Bentwood Country Club.
More Info: For more information on the 92nd West Texas Amateur, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 11 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...