Dossey, Gonzalez, and Barrientos Win Divisions at Weather Shortened Collegiate Preview
Briefly: For the first time in Legends Junior Tour history, Austin’s Sam Dossey and Queretaro’s Alejandro Gonzalez both claim the title of co-champions in the Boys Division after posting rounds of 4-under 68. Melena Barrientos of Plano wins the Girls Division by five shots, after a round of 4-under 68.
- Sam Dossey, Austin 68
1. Alejandro Gonzalez, Queretaro 68
3. Sam Bumgardner, Fort Worth 69
T4. Wil Griffin, Hot Springs 70
T4. Cody Winkler, McKinney 70
T4. Nicholas Hance, Irving 70
- Melena Barrientos, Plano 68
2.Gabrielle Roth, Austin 73
3. Annika Saidleman, Austin 74
T4. Sydney Williams, Frisco 75
T4. Sophie Biediger, Dallas 75
T4. Alise Knudson, Dallas 75
Winners: Both Sam Dossey and Alejandro Gonzalez earn their first Legends Junior Tour victory at Hurricane Creek Country Club. Dossey recorded six birdies on his round, including three of the four par fives. Gonzalez birdied his final hole of the round to finish tied with Dossey atop the leaderboard. In the Girls Division, Plano’s Melena Barrientos cruised to a five-shot victory after posting a 4-under 68. Barrientos made five birdies on the day, also claiming her first Legends Junior Tour victory.
In Contention: Fort Worth’s Sam Bumgardner finished solo third at 3-under 69. Bumgardner birdied three of his last four holes to climb up the leaderboard. Cody Winkler of McKinney, Nicholas Hance of Irving, and Hot Springs’s Wil Griffin all finished tied for fourth at 2-under 70. Griffin finished strong and birdied his final two holes to finish in the top five. Winkler carded a bogey-free round, while Hance made five birdies and an eagle on his round. Austin’s Gabrielle Roth posted a round of 1-over 73 to finish in solo second. Annika Saidleman of Austin finishes in third after recording a round of 2-over 74. Sophie Biediger of Frisco, and Dallas’s Sydney Williams and Alise Knudson all finished tied for fourth at 3-over 75.
Golf Course: Hurricane Creek Country Club was designed by Leon Howard in 1968 and features bent grass greens with tree-lined fairways of 419 Bermuda grass. While the basic layout of the course has remained intact, significant improvements have been made over the past decade that make Hurricane Creek as striking to the eye as it is challenging to your golf game.
Weather: The second round was cancelled, and the first round was resumed Tuesday morning, as lightning delays forced play to be suspended on Monday evening. Tuesday featured a cool and cloudy morning that opened up to a sunny afternoon with temperatures that climbed into the high 80’s.
Tournament Format: The Collegiate Preview is a 54-hole stroke-play event for players ages 14-19 that have an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The event is divided into two divisions: Boys and Girls.
Tournament Exemptions: All players that finish in the top half of each division will earn points towards the LJT Player of the Year Standings. The event is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard, Golfweek, and WAGR.
Next Up: The Legends Junior Tour travels to Horseshoe Bay Resort for the 94th Texas Junior Amateur on July 27-29. Qualifying for the Texas Junior Amateur Boys Division throughout the state wraps up next week.
- Drop your answers below ⬇️
📆 Event Calendar Available at: https://www.txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any
- 12 Players Invited to 2021 Curtis Cup Practice Session The USGA has invited 12 top female amateur golfers to take part in a 2021 Curtis Cup practice session at Lake Nona in Orlando, Fla., later this month. 1 Likes
- 📢 Registration Now Open 📢
TGA Member Clubs/Facilities, don't miss the opportunity to play against each other in our annual team match play competition, the #TexasLeaguePlay! Learn more and sign up today: https://www.txga.org/texas-league-play-general-information-2021 1 Likes
- Lone Star Golf December 2020Champions GC Shines at 75th U.S. Women's Open Facing more challenges, stress and extraordinary complications than imaginable, Champions Golf Course Shines, executing an unforgettable 75th U.S. Women's Open! Follow the link for the full story. #LoneStarGolf
https://qoo.ly/39utfdce2f7-0f4dcfcc7e-# 3 Likes
- Timeline Photos #TGAMembers don't miss this month's 48-hour #TexasTuesday deal! Save up to 50% off TGA-customized #UnderArmour apparel & #ClubGlove bags. Check your email for access to the Texas Tuesday Vault! Not a member? Sign up today! https://buff.ly/3gRu264 #TGAPlayersBox 1 Likes
- #WomenWorthWatching We believe that women's #golf is worth watching. But did you know that of all #sports covered in America, only 4 percent feature #female #athletes?
Join the conversation #WomenWorthWatching
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/women-worth-watching.html 2 Likes
- Tillie Claggett Makes LPGA Debut at the VOA Classic 👏 Good luck, Tillie Claggett! #VOAClassic 3 Likes
- Supporting Triumph Over Kids Cancer is personal for Scheffler Texas native and #LJTAlumni, Scottie Scheffler, recently supported Triumph Over Kid Cancer. His personal connection to the charity runs deep and dates back to his time playing on the Legends Junior Tour!
#JARMemorial 12 Likes
- Giving Tuesday Play Day- Crown Colony Country Club Event Portal :: Join us in Lufkin, TX for a special #GivingTuesday event, where all proceeds go toward the #TGAFoundation.
📍 Crown Colony
📅 Tues., Dec. 1 @ 10AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Lunch & Prizes
Follow ... 1 Likes