Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational Set for Oct. 31 – Nov. 1
MONT BELVIEU – The Legends Junior Tour will host the second Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational at Eagle Pointe Golf Club in Mont Belvieu from Oct. 31 – Nov. 1.
In 2012, the four most prominent junior golf tours in the state joined forces to create the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The goal was to give junior golfers greater access to top-tier statewide competition while lessening the burden of travel expenses. The partnership between the TGA’s Legends Junior Tour, Northern Texas PGA, Southern Texas PGA and the Houston Golf Association has been a success.
To add another elite junior golf tournament to the Alliance’s schedule, the LJT hosted the first Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational last year. Now in its second year, the event will welcome one of the strongest fields of the season.
“We were very encouraged about the addition of the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational to our LJT schedule last year,” LJT Tournament Coordinator Adam Schulte said. “This event has welcomed a strong field both years, and we’re excited to crown a new set of champions this weekend.”
Home of the most competitive junior golf in the state, the LJT wanted to increase its Alliance partners’ opportunities for their tournament winners to earn spots in LJT’s elite championships. That’s how the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational field was determined. Winners of select events from the NTPGA, STPGA and HGA’s junior tours received invitations to the tournament as well as players ranked high on the current LJT Player of the Year Points Lists.
Last year, Henry Frizzell of Frisco claimed his second LJT title after consecutive rounds of 3-under-par 68. He totaled 10 birdies and an eagle through 36 holes and recently started his collegiate golf career at Arkansas Tech University.
In the Girls 12-18 Division, Elina Sinz of Katy also picked up her second LJT victory of the 2019 season. She carded back-to-back rounds of even-par 71 to hold off Tillie Claggett by three strokes. Sinz just began her freshman year as a member of the Auburn University Women’s Golf Team.
Daniel Zou of The Woodlands won the Boys 14 & Under Division after posting 8-under-par 134 for the championship. He carded nine birdies and only one bogey en route to a six-shot victory. This year, Zou will look to win a Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational title in the Boys 15-18 Division.
Collectively each year the four organizations provide playing opportunities to more than 6,000 junior boys and girls in 500-plus tournaments. The NTPGA’s All-American Tour and STPGA’s Prestige Tour serve as qualifiers into Legends Junior Tour Invitationals.
“We are always looking for new ways to get juniors into elite competitions,” STPGA Executive Director Thomas Hutton said. “The Alliance has allowed all of us to work together, grow junior golf participation and create opportunities all over Texas.”
The final championship of the season to count toward LJT Player of the Year Standings will feature a field of 84 players. Three divisions compete separately: Boys 15-18, Girls 12-18 and Boys 14 & Under. Matthew Comegys of Plano leads the Boys 15-18 Division; while Lauren Nguyen of Katy leads the Girls 12-18 Division and Trenton Mierl of Austin leads the Boys 14 & Under Division.
The first round begins at 8 a.m. on Oct. 31. Final Round pairings will be redrawn according to first round scores and begin at 8 a.m. the next day.
For more information on the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational, click here.
- Lone Star Golf October 2020Engage with the TGA: Texas Bucket List What's on your #TexasGolf bucket list? Take our brief survey for your chance to win a #FunGolf Play Day for two at one of our upcoming Dec. 1 Play Days. Follow the #LoneStarGolf link for details!
- 5 Things to Know: Fall Golf and World Handicap System October often signals the end of the season for many golfers, but opportunities still remain to post scores toward your Handicap Index. Here are 5 things to know about fall golf. 1 Likes
- TGA Players Box #THANKYOU for a record-breaking sellout this #TexasTuesday! Stay tuned for November's Texas Tuesday deal. Skip the wait & keep the deals coming when you sign up for the #TGAPlayersBox. Enjoy $30 off your first box when you join by Oct. ... 1 Likes
- 👏 Congratulations, Ashley Yen, on receiving the 2020 USGA-AJGA Presidents' Leadership Award! You are truly a leader on and off the course! Way to represent the state of Texas!
🔗 Learn More: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/10/usga-ajga-presidents-leadership-award-2020-yen-creamean.html#returnable
Legends Junior Tour | United States Golf ... 1 CommentsCongrats Ashley!7 Likes
- 🏆 Marian Barker carded rounds of 74-77-70 at Ridglea Country Club to claim the 2020 Women’s Senior Stroke Play Championship!
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-senior-stroke-play-championship-2020-leaderboard
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/09/30/marian-barker-wins-2020-womens-senior-stroke-play/ 5 Likes
- Ryan O’Rear won the 37th Texas Mid-Amateur late Sunday afternoon after defeating two-time champion Colby Harwell on the seventh sudden-death playoff hole at Oak Hills Country Club. The 29-year-old from Leander captures the victory with a 72-hole total of 3-under ... 24 Likes
- Padden Nelson's rounds of 67-69 give the 40-year-old a three-shot lead over Johnathan Schnitzer heading into Sunday at Oak Hills Country Club San Antonio. Nelson seeks his first TGA major championship with 18 holes to play. #TexasMidAm
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/10/03/padden-nelson-holds-lead-at-37th-texas-mid-amateur/
... 1 CommentsThought scores would be lower at OHCC.4 Likes
- Austen Fulmer leads the #TexasMidAm after an opening 5-under-par 66 Oak Hills Country Club San Antonio. The 38-year-old will carry a one-stroke lead into Saturday's second round.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/10/02/austen-fulmer-leads-37th-texas-mid-amateur/
🔗 Leaderboard: https://txga.org/texas-mid-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 7 Likes
- Sulphur Springs Country Club Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome #LastCall to join us as we head East for our next #FunGolf Play Day!⠀
📍 Sulphur Springs Country Club
📅 Fri., October 9 @ 1:30 PM Shotgun Start
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Food ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post John Derrick Wins the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur
WACO – Most golfers know how important course knowledge is when it comes to certain venues. The trickier the track, the more crucial it is to know the lay of the land. ... 7 CommentsWell played John. There was some great players in the tournament and the course playing its most difficult.Woo hoo! Congrats!Congratulations JD! Well played my friend ...👍26 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Craig Hurlbert Leads 83rd Texas Senior Amateur through 36 Holes
WACO – Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia is 18 holes away from his fifth amateur victory of the year. He says the key for him to win the 83rd Texas Senior ... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Hurlbert, Smith Tied for 83rd Texas Senior Amateur Lead
WACO – Only two players broke par at venerable Ridgewood Country Club on Friday during the first round of the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur. Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia and Houston’s Scott ... 4 Likes
- Round 1 of the 83rd #TexasSeniorAm is underway at Ridgewood Country Club. Follow your favorite senior amateurs' progress with our live, hole-by-hole scoring: https://t.co/XasNhndFBa 3 CommentsThis was my first TGA tournament and I had a really great time and met the nicest ladies! I didn't ...It’s about time you let someone else win!Karen Fiducia I played too well yesterday which put me in a higher flight. If I shot the game I ...Don Bord here is where you can follow the scores!4 Likes
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes