84th Texas Senior Amateur Set for Sept. 24-26
The state’s top amateur golfers aged 55 and older will gather at Westwood Golf Club in Houston from Sept. 24-26 for the 84th Texas Senior Amateur, the last of this year’s four men’s major amateur championships conducted by the Texas Golf Association.
This is the first TGA championship to be held at Westwood. The club was originally scheduled to host the 2020 South Regional Mid-Amateur, but the event was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to conduct this year’s Texas Senior Amateur at Westwood Golf Club,” said Justin Guthrie, TGA Tournament Manager. “We are grateful to the club for their continued commitment to amateur golf and know they will provide an amazing championship experience.”
Founded in 1928, Westwood Golf Club (formerly Westwood Country Club), is the second oldest private golf club in Houston on its original site. Noted Texas architect John Bredemus designed the club’s initial nine-hole layout, which opened for play in 1930. The course was expanded to 18 holes in 1957 under the supervision of Ralph Plummer, a former assistant to Bredemus. Keith Foster completed an extensive renovation and redesign in 2002, and in 2018 Kevin Hargrave oversaw continued enhancements to the golf course that included rebuilding and resurfacing all tees, greens and bunkers.
“We look forward to welcoming the best senior golfers from across the state to Westwood for the 84th playing of the Texas Senior Amateur,” said Ricky Lyons, Westwood Golf Club’s General Manager. “The newly renovated course will be in great condition thanks to our superintendent Wesley Curtis and his crew, and we believe the strategic design will challenge every facet of a player’s game and identify a worthy champion.”
The Texas Senior Amateur is open to male amateurs who belong to a TGA Member Club, have a World Handicap System Index of 6.4 or less, will have reached the age of 55 on or before the tournament start date and are current Texas residents.
The format for the championship is 54 holes of individual stroke play. The starting field of 144 golfers play two rounds on Sept. 24-25. At the completion of the 36 holes, the field is cut to the low 54 players and ties for the final round.
At the 2020 championship, held at Ridgewood Country Club in Waco, host club member John Derrick posted a gutsy 2-over-par 72 on the last day in difficult scoring conditions to win the title in front of a large hometown crowd. His 7-over 217 total was good for a one-stroke victory over Mike Lohner of Southlake.
This year’s Texas Senior Amateur will once again feature an impressive lineup of accomplished veteran competitors. In addition to Derrick, who looks to be the first to win back-to-back titles in over 20 years, seven other past champions will be on site at Westwood Golf Club. They are Gary Durbin of Houston (who won in 2019), Lewis Stephenson of Mansfield (2016, ’18), Mike Booker of The Woodlands (2015), Ron Kilby of McAllen (2011, ’14), Mike Peck of Irving (2013), Chuck Palmer of Dallas (2012) and John Grace of Fort Worth (2010).
Lohner, the 2020 runner-up and reigning Senior Player of the Year, heads a roster of other notable players who will be vying for the title which includes 2021 North Regional Senior Amateur champion Dave Davis of Saginaw, 2021 South Regional Senior Amateur champion David Ortego of Spring and 2017, ’19 Senior Player of Year John Pierce of San Antonio.
Live scoring updates and daily recaps, as well as tee-times and pairings, will be available at txga.org once the action gets underway from Westwood.
- Connections Made, History Felt at African American Golf Expo Two USGA staffers recently had the opportunity to bring artifacts and share stories at the inaugural African American Golf Expo and Forum in Atlanta. 4 Likes
- Play it Forward with Youth on Course We believe in the power of golf and we’re passionate about the power of play.
Thank you to #GolfNow and GolfNow users who together have helped subsidize more than 150,000 rounds of golf for #YouthOnCourse members with just their spare ...
- Timeline Photos This past weekend, the TGA entered a group of staff & a #FunGolf Series golf participant in the #Turner12 Golfing for Grads #fundraiser where they placed 1st with a gross score of 53! #Congratulations to Tanner Giles, Zach Madison, Kristen ... 3 CommentsCongratulations !!! Thank you again for participating 💚⛳Wow! Great playing!Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...16 Likes
- High Meadow Ranch Golf Club Play Day Event :: LAST CALL: Grab a partner & head south to #Houston for our upcoming #FunGolf Play Day!
📅 Thurs., Sept. 23 @ 9AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble
🏆 Includes 18 holes, range balls, cart & prizes
Follow the 🔗link to register now! 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Fort Worth’s Freddie Janneck rides a final round 4-under 67 to a three shot victory and becomes the 38th #TXMidAm Champion. 🏆
📖 Final Recap: bit.ly/3lfke8F
📶 Leaderboard: bit.ly/38YcXnN
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 21 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Aaron Hickman & Ryan O’Rear share the lead heading into Sunday’s final round at the 38th #TXMidAm
📖 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/09/11/orear-and-hickman-share-lead-at-38th-texas-mid-amateur/
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 7 Likes
- Timeline Photos 🚨#TGAGiveaway🚨
Don't miss your shot at 3 Custom-Built Edison Golf Wedges! Contest ends Wed., Sept. 15 at midnight.
Texas Golf Association (Facebook & Instagram)
Follow the link for more details!
https://qoo.ly/3dzzj9 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post William Aycock leads by two with 36 holes remaining. He birdied 5 of his last 6 holes to take the round 1 lead. 🔥
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
#TXMidAm | The Clubs at Houston Oaks 4 CommentsWilliam BlairGo get ‘em William Blair!Thanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days hahaWilliam Blair hahaha, that’s scaryThanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days haha11 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom Oxford Pullover today, starting at only $45!
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for men & women! 1 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom UA Polo today, starting at only $35! Sale extended through Friday.
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congrats to the 2021 Texas Four-Ball Champions Colby Amparan and Gary Ezmerlian 👏🏆
🔸Senior Winners: Ron Finnerty & Tommy Tucker
🔸 Super Senior Winners: Aaron Billings & Richard Koenig
📖 Final Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/29/colby-amparan-and-gary-ezmerlian-win-texas-four-ball/
📶 Results: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association ... 18 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Two teams sit tied atop the leaderboard heading into Sunday’s final round of the #Texas4Ball 😎
Colby Amparan & Gary Ezmerlian as well as Derek Abel and Chris Wheeler share the lead at 12-under par.
📖R2 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/28/two-teams-share-lead-heading-into-final-round-at-texas-four-ball/
... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 2 of the #Texas4Ball is underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course!
💥 Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture lead the field by two as they begin their second round.
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball was suspended due to darkness and will resume tomorrow morning at 7:45 a.m.
Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture currently lead at 9-under par.
📖 R1 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/27/round-one-of-texas-four-ball-suspended-hickman-and-couture-lead/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at ... 2 Likes