Texas League Play
Horseshoe Bay Resort
August 27 – 30
TEXAS LEAGUE PLAY FAQ’S
What is Texas League Play?
The TGA created Texas League Play in 2006 as a way for member clubs to engage in a fun and friendly competition against one another each spring. Teams compete in conferences made up of four different clubs in a home and away series with each club for a total of six regular season matches. The team with the best conference record then advances to compete against other conference winners from across the state for the overall title.
Who can play?
League Play is open to all clubs & courses (public and private) that are current members of the Texas Golf Association. It is open to male amateur golfers that are full dues paying members of the club. PGA Professionals which are employed by the club are also encouraged to participate. (Only one pro may play in any given match.)
When does the season begin and end?
Registration for the 2020 Season opens on January 7 and closes on March 13. The Regular Season will begin on June 16 and all matches must be completed by August 18 at the latest.
What is the format?
A team match consist of 8 players from a team competing in (4) separate four-ball matches against the opposing club. Each four-ball match is worth a total of 3 points using a nassua scoring system. The team earning 6.5 or more points out of the 12 available, wins the overall team match. If a club pro does play, he must play in the #1 position in the match to ensure they play against the opposing team’s Pro or best amateur.
Are handicaps used?
Yes. The first four-ball match is played at scratch with no strokes given or received. All other matches use a players Low Handicap Index (LHI) and which is used to calculate a player’s Course Handicap. Players Low Handicap Index from the last 12 months is used for league play matches. League Play stopped using Current Handicap Indexes in 2013.
How are groups formed?
Clubs are encouraged to establish their own conference by contacting three other clubs they wish to compete against during the regular season. If all four clubs agree, a group entry form must be submitted to the TGA by the entry deadline. If a team wishes to play but does not have a group, the TGA will attempt to establish a conference with those teams where geographically desirable.
Where are conferences established?
In the past, conferences have been established in Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio and West Texas, however conferences can be established anywhere as long as there are four TGA member clubs willing to participate with each other. Playoffs? Conference winners earn an invitation to participate in the League Play Finals which is a single elimination tournament. The playoffs take place at Horseshoe Bay Resort the weekend following Memorial Day. Eliminated teams receive discounted green fees throughout the weekend to make the trip to Horseshoe Bay a great golf trip regardless of the outcome.
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Trey Bosco wins the 111th Texas Amateur after a closing 2-under-par 69 at Boot Ranch. The 18-year-old from Austin captures the victory by one and is the second straight Baylor Men's Golf player to hoist the H.L. Edwards Memorial Trophy.
... 1 CommentsBoot Ranch Congratulations, Trey Bosco!36 Likes
- Caleb Hicks from Arlington is 18 holes away from capturing the biggest amateur title in his young career. The 20-year-old UTA Men's Golf junior leads the #TexasAmateur by two shots headed into Sunday’s final at Boot Ranch.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/08/08/caleb-hicks-leads-111th-texas-amateur-by-two-shots/
... 14 Likes
- 🏆 Round 3 is underway at Boot Ranch!
🔗 Full Leaderboard: https://txga.org/111th-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#TexasAmateur 10 Likes
- Chris Wheeler leads the #TexasAmateur thru 36 holes following rounds of 64-71. The defending #TexasMidAm champion heads into the weekend with a one-shot lead.
Round 3 will begin at Boot Ranch at 8:00 a.m.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/08/07/chris-wheeler-holds-lead-at-111th-texas-amateur/
🔗 Leaderboard: https://txga.org/111th-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 10 Likes
- Just a moment... We were saddened to learn Robert Jess Claiborne, a longtime TGA Board Member, passed away on Aug. 1 in Alto, New Mexico. He was 73. Jess was a tremendous player and supporter of golf and the TGA. 4 CommentsTrevor Hyde Great man and a big supporter of the TGADavid Pocknall Very sad, only met him a couple of times but remember them, way to youngSam Hansard Always made you feel good about yourself! Will miss you Jess!4 Likes
- 🏆 Round 2 is underway at Boot Ranch!
🔗 Full Leaderboard: https://txga.org/111th-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#TexasAmateur 11 Likes
- 🎥 What a start to the #TexasAmateur @bootranchtx! Chris Wheeler, a 37-year-old mid-amateur fires a bogey-free 7-under-par 64. The defending #TexasMidAm champion leads the field by one stroke. 2 Comments 13 Likes
- Chris Wheeler leads the #TexasAmateur following a 7-under-par 64. The 37-year-old's bogey-free opening round gives him a one-shot lead. The defending #TexasMidAm champion finds himself in contention once again at a TGA Major Championship.
Round 1 was suspended due to ... 20 Likes
- 🎥 Boot Ranch is hosting the #TexasAmateur for the first time in history! Known as one of the premier clubs in the state of Texas, the 7,155-yard championship course is set to welcome some of the best amateurs to the ... 2 CommentsRob Addington Best of luck to the players and staff. You are in for a treat. Stay safe and hit it straight. John Hendry Great video promotion of this Tourney at this top quality Course!17 Likes
- 🏆 Serena Shah carded rounds of 76-71-77 at Crown Colony to claim the Women’s Stroke Play Championship title. The Southern Methodist University junior joins a great list of #WomensStrokePlay champions!
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/08/01/serena-shah-wins-womens-stroke-play-championship/
🔢 Full Leaderboard:https://www.txga.org/womens-stroke-play-2020-leaderboard/ 1 CommentsLarry Kelting congrats7 Likes
- NGF reports records amount of golf are being played right now, and courses are in better shape than ever – all thanks to amazing club superintendents. Recognize your golf course superintendent by tagging your super/club below using the hashtag #SuperShoutout ... 3 CommentsJason R. Smith Mike Hundley does an amazing job at Paris Golf and country club!!! With the budget and staff he has, comparatively ...Mike Hundley Jason R. Smith thanks budTobias Herrera IV Scott Terry the best around! Pine Forest Country ClubScott Terry Thanks TShawn Stoute Tobias Herrera IV second that!!Jack Wickstrom Landon Wickstrom and Christopher Blair!Christopher Blair Thanks Jack!6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Texas Golf Association added 121 new photos. 1 CommentsCraig Rickaway Website is not coming up to join the origanization.Texas Golf Association Craig Rickaway We apologize for the inconvenience! We are working diligently to get our website back up as soon as ...21 Likes
- JT Pittman joins a long history of #WestTexasAm Champions. After a final round 2-under-par 70 at Bentwood Country Club, the Midland College sophomore finished at 8-under overall and two strokes better than the field.
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/07/19/jt-pittman-wins-92nd-west-texas-amateur/
🔢 Results: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 9 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 92nd West Texas Amateur Champions!
🏆 Championship Division: JT Pittman (68-70-70 (-8))
🏆 Senior Division: Lewis Stephenson (77-70-66 (-3))
🏆 Super Senior Division: Doug Hopton-Jones (75-73-73 (+5))
#WestTexasAm 1 CommentsAlan Phillips Way to go, Lewis!25 Likes
- 🚨 Final Round is underway at Bentwood Country Club!
🔗 Follow live scoring here: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#WestTexasAm 4 Likes
- JT Pittman followed his 4-under 68 in Round 1 with a 2-under 70 on Saturday. He leads by one stroke with 18 holes left to play at Bentwood Country Club.
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/07/18/jt-pittman-takes-the-lead-at-92nd-west-texas-amateur/
🔢 Full Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#WestTexasAm 1 CommentsDeana Heard Smith Awesome job JT Finish Strong8 Likes