Round of 32 Set for the Mid-Amateur Match Play Championship
Play began Thursday at Oak Hills Country Club in
San Antonio for the 2013 Mid-Amateur Match Play Championship. Day one brought
the qualifying round with players vying for one of 32 positions moving into the
match play portion of the event. The fast greens and warm temperatures at Oak
Hills were sure to make it an exciting day.
Clarke Kincaid of Trophy Club set the pace early going off in the
second group of the day. Clarke started on the front nine and made a quick bogey
on the second hole but was able to get it back with a birdie on the sixth hole
to shoot even-par on the front side. He would go on to make another birdie at
the par-5, 10th hole, then finished his back side with 8 straight
pars to shoot a 1-under par round of 70 and take the lead in the clubhouse.
Shortly thereafter, Oak Hills Country Club member, Zan Terry, returned his
scorecard and joined Kincaid atop the leaderboard at 1-under par. Terry’s round
started on the back nine where he opened with birdies on 14 and 17 to turn in
2-under par. On the front side, Terry made three bogeys but added two more
birdies to finish at 1-under par. Clarke Kincaid and Zan Terry will share the
medalist honors for the qualifying round but the #1 seed will be given to
Kincaid since he was the first player the post the low round.
Aaron Hickman and Bobby Baugh finished tied for third, one shot back
at even-par for the qualifying round. Hickman’s round included three birdies
and three bogeys and Baugh managed 5 birdies to go along with three bogeys and
a double bogey. Mark Macejewski and Ron Kilby each finished two shots back of
the leaders at 1-over par, 72.
At the end of the day, there were eight players left tied for the
last three spots at 7-over par, 78, confirming those with rounds of 77 or
better spots in the match play bracket. With only 32 spots available, a
sudden-death playoff was needed to determine the final match play participants.
The eight players were split into two groups of four and returned to the
difficult par-3, 18th. In the first group, Chris Germann and Kip
Estep managed pars with Trey Wilkinson and Trent Brown making bogeys. In the
second group, Jed Shreve made a rare birdie while Bob Kearney, Bill Odom, and
Chris Payne made bogeys. One playoff hole was all that was needed with Jed
Shreve, Chris Germann, and Kip Estep filling in the final three spots going
into match play on Friday morning.
Round of 32 matches will start at 7:30 am on Friday, followed by the
Round of 16 matches in the afternoon starting at 1:00 pm. For more information
on scores, matches, and tee times, please visit www.txga.org.
- Drop your answers below ⬇️
📆 Event Calendar Available at: https://www.txga.org/event-directory/?event_year=2021&event_month=any
- 12 Players Invited to 2021 Curtis Cup Practice Session The USGA has invited 12 top female amateur golfers to take part in a 2021 Curtis Cup practice session at Lake Nona in Orlando, Fla., later this month. 1 Likes
- 📢 Registration Now Open 📢
TGA Member Clubs/Facilities, don't miss the opportunity to play against each other in our annual team match play competition, the #TexasLeaguePlay! Learn more and sign up today: https://www.txga.org/texas-league-play-general-information-2021 1 Likes
- Lone Star Golf December 2020Champions GC Shines at 75th U.S. Women's Open Facing more challenges, stress and extraordinary complications than imaginable, Champions Golf Course Shines, executing an unforgettable 75th U.S. Women's Open! Follow the link for the full story. #LoneStarGolf
https://qoo.ly/39utfdce2f7-0f4dcfcc7e-# 3 Likes
- Timeline Photos #TGAMembers don't miss this month's 48-hour #TexasTuesday deal! Save up to 50% off TGA-customized #UnderArmour apparel & #ClubGlove bags. Check your email for access to the Texas Tuesday Vault! Not a member? Sign up today! https://buff.ly/3gRu264 #TGAPlayersBox 1 Likes
- #WomenWorthWatching We believe that women's #golf is worth watching. But did you know that of all #sports covered in America, only 4 percent feature #female #athletes?
Join the conversation #WomenWorthWatching
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/women-worth-watching.html 2 Likes
- Tillie Claggett Makes LPGA Debut at the VOA Classic 👏 Good luck, Tillie Claggett! #VOAClassic 3 Likes
- Supporting Triumph Over Kids Cancer is personal for Scheffler Texas native and #LJTAlumni, Scottie Scheffler, recently supported Triumph Over Kid Cancer. His personal connection to the charity runs deep and dates back to his time playing on the Legends Junior Tour!
#JARMemorial 12 Likes
- Giving Tuesday Play Day- Crown Colony Country Club Event Portal :: Join us in Lufkin, TX for a special #GivingTuesday event, where all proceeds go toward the #TGAFoundation.
📍 Crown Colony
📅 Tues., Dec. 1 @ 10AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Lunch & Prizes
Follow ... 1 Likes