Mike Booker Wins Mid-Amateur Match Play
San Antonio — Mike Booker and Ron Kilby returned to Oak Hills Country Club
on Sunday morning for the final match of the 2013 Mid-Amateur Match Play
Championship. To make the match a little more exciting, there is a bit of history
between the two finalists. Booker and Kilby were roommates at the University of
Houston where they played on the golf team together. Kilby said, “It is great
to play against a friend that I have played so much golf with.”
The final match got underway at 7:30am with the two players starting
on the first hole. Kilby’s drive ended up out of bounds to the right side of
the hole and Bookers par was enough to give him the early 1-up lead. They went
on to halve the 2nd hole with bogeys, moving the match on to the 3rd.
Booker would go on to make two solid pars on holes 3 and 4 to win each hole and
take his lead to 3-up through 4. The players halved the 5th with
pars, but with another par on the difficult 6th hole, Booker’s lead extended
to a commanding 4-up through six. Matching shot for shot, Kilby and Booker went
on to halve the next three holes with pars to send the match to the back nine
with Booker 4-up.
As was proven throughout the week, par was the score to make
and would win a lot of holes for players. With Kilby making a bogey on the
par-5, 10th, Booker made yet another par to take his lead to 5-up.
At this point, most thought that it would only be a few holes until Booker
would close out the match, Ron Kilby had a different idea. On the 11th,
Booker’s drive went down the left side of the fairway and ended up in the rough
behind a tree. Taking advantage of his shot from the fairway, Kilby hit his
approach shot on the green and made a dent in the deficit cutting it to 4-down.
On the 12th, Kilby hit a beautiful approach that settled within
three feet of the hole. With Bookers birdie putt just missing the hole and
Kilby making his, the players would move on to the difficult par-3, 13th,
with Booker 3-up. The two would halve the 13th with pars before
Kilby got another hole back on the 14th with a par to move to 2-down
with four holes to play.
Kilby and Booker proceeded to match pars on the 15th
and 16th holes before arriving at the 17th tee with
Booker maintaining his lead of 2-up. Booker’s approach shot on the 17th
flew over the flag and nestled in the rough leaving him a very difficult pitch
that ultimately led to a bogey. With Kilby’s approach safely on the green, he
made a routine two-putt for his par to move to 1-down and send the match to the
par-3, 18th hole. Needing a win on the 18th to extend the
match to extra holes, Kilby took an aggressive line at the hole and left
himself with a 15 foot birdie putt. Booker took a similar line at the hole and
left his shot about 18 feet behind the hole, also for birdie. Booker’s putt
trickled down the slope and settled about 2 feet from the hole. Kilby now had a
putt to extend the match. Kilby’s putt started on a beautiful line but slid
just past the hole giving him a conceded par. After finishing off his short
putt on the 18th, Mike Booker was greeted by his opponent and friend
to congratulate him on his Mid-Amateur Match Play victory.
When asked what it meant to claim the victory at this
prestigious event, Booker said, “It meant a lot to win the Texas Mid-Amateur
stroke play event in 2003, but to follow it up with the Mid-Amateur Match Play
10 years later feels amazing.” The win closes out a memorable month for Booker
that also included the wedding of his daughter.
For full results, please visit WWW.TXGA.ORG.
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes