Hodge Captures 2013 Texas Mid-Amateur Championship
(Boerne,TX) After a suspension due to darkness delayed the
completion of Saturday’s second round at the 2013 Texas Mid-Amateur
Championship, players arrived at Cordillera Ranch Sunday morning unsure of what
they might find after a night of torrential rain and thunderstorms. Luckily the course fared much better than the
surrounding area and by 8:00am play had resumed under wet but calm conditions.
With the majority of players only having to complete their last nine holes,
round two was completed at 10:45am giving the TGA staff an opportunity to make
the cut for the final round before play began. In all fifty-four players found
themselves above the cut line of 158 and advanced into Sunday’s final round.
Fast and windy conditions throughout the first two rounds of
the championship provided the players with an extremely difficult test of golf.
Sunday, however, was a different story as the overnight thunderstorms provided
soft and calm conditions which many players were able to take advantage of.
Zach Atkinson, who found himself seven shots back of the lead heading into the
final round, was one of those players. After two birdies on his opening nine,
Atkinson continued his bogey free round carding four birdies on the closing nine
for a round of six under par, 66, placing him in sole possession of third
place. Colby Harwell of Robinson also looked to make a charge at the leader
early in his round carding four birdies and just one bogey on his opening
nine. Making the turn, Harwell kept
pressing. After a birdie on the par-4 tenth, Harwell found himself in a tie
atop the leaderboard with second round leader, Clay Hodge who was two groups
behind Harwell. Additional birdies on the fourteenth and sixteenth put Harwell
one under par for the tournament and just one down of Hodge who was standing on
the eighteenth tee.
Hodge, who had played consistent golf all day, found the
middle of the fairway with his tee shot. After leaving his approach shot forty feet
short of the hole, Hodge was left with two putts to claim the title of Texas
Mid-Amateur Champion. After his first attempt, Hodge was left with an uphill
five footer which he watched painfully slide just past the hole placing him in
a tie with Harwell at one under par for the tournament. Both players then headed
back to the eighteenth for a sudden death playoff in order to crown a champion.
On the first playoff hole, Harwell’s drive found the left rough with his swing
somewhat impeded by a tree. After playing back out to the fairway, Harwell’s
chip shot ran past the flag leaving him a fifteen foot putt to extend the
match. Wasting no time at all, Harwell stepped up and confidently made the par
putt to extend the playoff another hole. The players then headed back to the
eighteenth tee where both now found the center of the fairway with their tee
shots. Harwell was first to play and hit his approach safely to the middle of
the green giving him an uphill twenty-five footer for birdie. Hodge then played
a brilliant second shot which landed ten feet right of the hole and stopped.
After Harwell’s birdie putt narrowly missed the hole, Hodge calmly stepped up
to his ten footer and confidently stroked it center cut to claim the 2013 Texas
Mid-Amateur title. “It feels really good. After qualifying in the Last Chance
qualifier to come out here and win in my first tournament since graduating…it means
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes