Midland's Begnel Survives to Win Texas Mid-Amateur Championship
HORSESHOE BAY—Terence Begnel was the last man standing Sunday afternoon at the 31st annual Texas Mid-Amateur Championship. The 28-year-old from Midland survived a four-hole playoff—during which he missed a one-foot putt that would’ve won it for him—to capture the coveted Texas Golf Association championship at beautiful Escondido Golf & Lake Club.
Begnel finished the 54-hole, individual stroke play championship tied with Houston’s Brandon Burke at 2-under-par 211. Begnel shot a 1-over 72 in the final round; Burke shot an even-par round of 71. When Begnel failed to convert a 10-foot par putt on the 16th hole, he fell back into a tie with Burke, who led for much of the back nine until he made a double-bogey on the par-3 15th hole.
After both players made pars on the final two holes of regulation, they headed back to the 18th tee for a playoff. It was a routine that repeated itself four times. A dizzying hour ensued as neither Begnel nor Burke able to better the other on the 548-yard, par-5 finishing hole at Tom Fazio-designed Escondido.
Begnel had a one-foot putt to win on the first extra hole, but he pushed the putt. It lipped out and visibly shook Begnel.
“It was a long, lonely ride back to the tee box,” he said. “I told myself that we’re back at all square and it’s just head’s up golf.”
In the end, Begnel cozied in a three-footer for par after Burke missed his nine-foot par attempt. Begnel’s three-day total of 66-73-72—211 stands as the winning score.
“I don’t think I’ve ever played the same hole four times in a playoff,” said Begnel, who scored his first victory since a junior college win at Midland College in 2007. “I didn’t play my best, but I just grinded it out. At any tournament on any level, you’re not always going to play your best golf. You have to find a way to keep grinding it out, and that’s what I did today.”
For Burke’s part, he took the loss in stride.
“It was a lot of fun,” said Burke, a 25-year-old geologist for Houston-based Berger Geosciences. “I played that hole just fine three of the five times we just played it. It’s great to me to know I can still hang. I know that when I play my best golf, I can compete with the best guys on the amateur circuit.”
Begnel at Burke earned exemptions into the 2015 Texas Amateur, to be played next June at Bent Tree Country Club in Dallas. The entire top five earned the same exemption. Austin’s Brian Noonan and Kerrville’s Trevor Hyde tied for third place at 1-under 212. Tony Soerries from Montgomery, Mike Booker from the Woodlands and John Bearrie from Arlington shared fifth place at 1-over 214.
The top 20 finishers earned exemptions into the 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur, to be played next September at Royal Oaks Country Club in Dallas. For more information on the 2104 Texas Mid-Amateur, including complete scoring, please click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes