Midland's Begnel Survives to Win Texas Mid-Amateur Championship
HORSESHOE BAY—Terence Begnel was the last man standing Sunday afternoon at the 31st annual Texas Mid-Amateur Championship. The 28-year-old from Midland survived a four-hole playoff—during which he missed a one-foot putt that would’ve won it for him—to capture the coveted Texas Golf Association championship at beautiful Escondido Golf & Lake Club.
Begnel finished the 54-hole, individual stroke play championship tied with Houston’s Brandon Burke at 2-under-par 211. Begnel shot a 1-over 72 in the final round; Burke shot an even-par round of 71. When Begnel failed to convert a 10-foot par putt on the 16th hole, he fell back into a tie with Burke, who led for much of the back nine until he made a double-bogey on the par-3 15th hole.
After both players made pars on the final two holes of regulation, they headed back to the 18th tee for a playoff. It was a routine that repeated itself four times. A dizzying hour ensued as neither Begnel nor Burke able to better the other on the 548-yard, par-5 finishing hole at Tom Fazio-designed Escondido.
Begnel had a one-foot putt to win on the first extra hole, but he pushed the putt. It lipped out and visibly shook Begnel.
“It was a long, lonely ride back to the tee box,” he said. “I told myself that we’re back at all square and it’s just head’s up golf.”
In the end, Begnel cozied in a three-footer for par after Burke missed his nine-foot par attempt. Begnel’s three-day total of 66-73-72—211 stands as the winning score.
“I don’t think I’ve ever played the same hole four times in a playoff,” said Begnel, who scored his first victory since a junior college win at Midland College in 2007. “I didn’t play my best, but I just grinded it out. At any tournament on any level, you’re not always going to play your best golf. You have to find a way to keep grinding it out, and that’s what I did today.”
For Burke’s part, he took the loss in stride.
“It was a lot of fun,” said Burke, a 25-year-old geologist for Houston-based Berger Geosciences. “I played that hole just fine three of the five times we just played it. It’s great to me to know I can still hang. I know that when I play my best golf, I can compete with the best guys on the amateur circuit.”
Begnel at Burke earned exemptions into the 2015 Texas Amateur, to be played next June at Bent Tree Country Club in Dallas. The entire top five earned the same exemption. Austin’s Brian Noonan and Kerrville’s Trevor Hyde tied for third place at 1-under 212. Tony Soerries from Montgomery, Mike Booker from the Woodlands and John Bearrie from Arlington shared fifth place at 1-over 214.
The top 20 finishers earned exemptions into the 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur, to be played next September at Royal Oaks Country Club in Dallas. For more information on the 2104 Texas Mid-Amateur, including complete scoring, please click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes