Leffingwell Shoots Under Par at James A. Ragan Memorial
PORT ARANSAS – Trenton Leffingwell endured strong winds in the first round of the James A. Ragan Memorial to take a two-stroke lead in the Boys 15-18 Division at Palmilla Beach Golf Club. Damin Strydom leads the Boys 14 & Under Division, while Hailey Jones and Stormy Randazzo are tied for the lead in the Girls 12-18 Division.
New Braunfels’ Leffingwell was the only player under par in all three divisions of the second annual James A. Ragan Memorial. He made four birdies in his first round including on the par-5 5th hole, which played as the fourth toughest hole in the Boys 15-18 Division.
Leffingwell will be joined by Frisco’s Drake Kube and Corpus Christi’s Billy Teichman in the final group on Monday. Kube shot 1-over 72 in the first round, including three straight birdies on holes 9-11, while Teichman posted a score of 2-over 73 with back-to-back birdies on holes seven and eight.
Austin’s Michael Anthony Rome, Mission’s Junmin Lee, Dallas’ Cash Carter and Spring’s Luis Legarreta are all tied for fourth at 3-over 74, while Austin’s Brandon Hoff and San Antonio’s McClure Meissner are tied for eighth at 4-over 75.
Turner Hosch, who won last year’s Boys 14 & Under Division in this event, is tied for 10th along with Jake Kuwitzky, Max Harmon and Tommy Boone at 5-over 76. Boone finished runner up in last year’s Boys 15-18 Division.
Strydom of Kingwood leads the Boys 14 & Under Division at 2-over-par 73. Strydom, who won the Boys 14 &
Under Division in last year’s Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship, made three birdies in the windy conditions.
Trailing Strydom by five strokes is Arlington’s Ben Broadus, who shot 78 in the opening round. Irving’s Nicholas Hance made four birdies in his first round will join Strydom and Broadus on Monday.
Dallas’ Jones and Rowlett’s Randazzo lead the Girls 12-18 Division at 3-over 74. Jones is the reigning Girls Player of the Year on the Legends Junior Tour and is coming off a win at the season-opening Winter Classic. Randazzo made four birdies in her first round, including the par-5 18th hole. Laredo’s Kristina Gutierrez and Montgomery’s Iliana Stowers are tied for third and just one stroke back of Jones and Randazzo.
This tournament is in honor of the late James Ragan, who played in more than 20 Legends Junior Tour events and won the 2010 Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic. Ragan, who is a native of Corpus Christi, also recorded three top-25 finishes in his LJT career.
Ragan was diagnosed with a rare type of bone cancer called osteosarcoma when he was 13 years old. In 2007 he founded the Triumph Over Kid Cancer Foundation, which has raised more than $1.5 million for cancer research.
Palmilla Beach Golf Club has been the host of the James A. Ragan Memorial both years. Palmilla Beach was designed by Arnold Palmer and is carved out of environmentally sensitive native dunes and surrounded by vibrant coastal foliage. The par-71 course can stretch out to 6,900 yards and offers views of both the Gulf of Mexico and Corpus Christi Bay.
The final round of the James A. Ragan Memorial is scheduled to begin at 8:00 am off Nos. 1 & 10 on Monday, February 15. To see all the scores from Sunday’s first round, click here. For more information about the event, click here. To read more about Triumph Over Kids Cancer, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes