Hoff Has Come-From-Behind Victory at Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic
AUSTIN, Texas – Austin’s Brandon Hoff had a two-putt birdie on the final hole to claim a come-from-behind victory in the eighth annual Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic. Marble Falls native Macy Fox shot a final-round 1–over-par 73 to claim the Girls 12-18 division. Pearland’s Vishnu Sadagopan won the Boys 14 & Under division by two strokes at The Hills Country Club’s Flintrock Falls course.
Hoff, down by three strokes to start the final round, erased that deficit in three holes, carding a birdie on the par-5 third hole. By the time the final group had started their back nine, though, he had made a few bogeys with a double bogey and was back down by two strokes.
A hole-out from the fairway on the par-4 10th hole though and a bogey by Brian Choe, the first-round leader, Hoff found himself up a stroke. After that, both players made two bogeys coming home, but Hoff’s birdie on the final hole clinched the victory for him.
He reached the par-5 18th in two, but had a sweeping, up-hill, then back down-hill putt that looked like it wasn’t going to quite make it to the ridge to fall back down the hill. The ball kept rolling and eventually gravity took over and left him with just over a one-foot putt or a birdie and the victory.
Choe struggled throughout the day and couldn’t find his rhythm, carding only one birdie en route to a final-round 77. He finished in second place, one shot back of Hoff. New Braunfels’ Gabe Castilleja and San Angelo’s Jansen Smith finished tied for third, at 3-over 147 for the tournament. Mission’s Junmin Lee, last year’s winner of this event in the Boys 14 & Under division finished in fifth place.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Fox started on the 10th hole and had a rough opening four holes, going 3-over in that stretch. She quickly made up for it with two consecutive birdies on the difficult par-3 15th and the par-5 16th holes. Her back nine was much more consistent carding one birdie on her finishing hole against one bogey.
Fox won by three shots over Cedar Park’s Calynne Rosholt. She shot consistent rounds of 75-75-150 to finish solo second. Kingwood’s Jackie Barry finished alone in third place, five shots back of Fox. Sara Camarena and Elle Nachmann finished tied for fourth place.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Sadagopan, who finished runner-up his last event, the Spring Preview, had a consistent round, carding 14 pars. His lone birdie came on the par-4 5th hole, his 14th hole of the day. Sadagopan started tied for the lead with Dallas Hankamer and Cole Sherwood after first-round 74’s, but the two struggled and that left Sadagopan alone at the top of the leaderboard.
Austin’s own Jack Wehmann and Cypress’ Lucas Borrero finished tied for second place, two shots back of Sadagopan. Dallas Hankamer finished in solo fourth after a disappointing 6-over 78 in his final round.
This is the eighth year the Legends Junior Tour has hosted the Jimmy Demaret, including the fourth straight year at The Hills Country Club’s Flintrock Falls course. The championship is the fifth event on the schedule, including the third in as many weeks.
The event is named after one of Texas’ true golfing legends, Jimmy Demaret, who won three Masters Tournaments and 31 PGA Tour events in a career that spanned from 1935-57. He became the first three-time winner of the Masters after his victory in 1950 and was elected into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1983. The inaugural event was held at Onion Creek Club in 2008.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes