Jones and Robinson Win the Women's Partnership
LUFKIN—Lyn Jones and Liza Robinson of Houston completed their wire-to-wire victory in the Women’s Partnership at Crown Colony Country Club on Tuesday.
The Women’s Partnership is a two-player team tournament with both balls counting on each hole. Points earned by each partner will be combined for the team total based on the quota established by their handicaps. The team score is made up of the difference between points earned by the players and their quotas for the round.
Jones and Robinson combined to make one birdie and eight pars in the second round on Tuesday, giving the Houston duo three birdies in 36 holes and 16 total pars. Jones and Robinson won the overall championship by half a point over Meghan Christensen and Carol Turnage with a team total of nine.
The Women’s Partnership was made up of five different flights separated by combined player handicaps as well as the overall champion.
Houston’s Christensen and Anna’s Turnage won the First Flight of the tournament. Christensen and Turnage added 7.5 to their two-day total to finish with 8.5 overall. Christensen made two birdies and eight pars in her second round, while Turnage made nine pars of her own. Debbie Meyer and Alice Randall finished second in the First Flight, while Marian Barker and Dana Ward finished third.
Tina Macdonald of Dallas and Dorinda Boyd of Tyler won the Second Flight. Macdonald and Boyd combined to play the par 3s at even-par on Tuesday, with Boyd making a birdie on the 17th hole. Linda Jackman of Montgomery and Olivia Campbell of Franklin finished second in the Second Flight, while Sis Singletary and Alli Jarrett of Houston won third place in the flight. Singletary and Jarrett teamed up to win this event in 2005 at The Hills Country Club’s Flintrock Falls.
Flight Three’s winners were Patricia Walters of Sealy and Tani Traver of Montgomery, who combined for a score of 5.5. Traver surpassed her quota in the Second Round by 6.5 points to help lead her team to victory in the flight. Gerrie Donovan and Phyllis Allman of The Woodlands finished second in the flight, while Lufkin’s Connie Kennedy and Jan Kingham finished third in the flight.
Lufkin’s Gayle Brent and Jacksonville’s Ella McGaughey won the Fourth Flight with a team total of seven. Brent made a birdie on the 320-yard second hole, while McGaughey made three straight pars on holes No. 11-13. Trophy Club’s Dianne Roberts and Fort Worth’s Ethel Wright, who are two-time winners of this event, finished second in the Fourth Flight, while Margie Barlow and Linda Wilson of Montgomery finished third in the flight.
Louise Hite of Kingwood and Brenda Candelet of Houston won the Fifth Flight of the Women’s Partnership. Hite surpassed her quota on Tuesday by 4.5 points to help get her team’s total to five after 36 holes. Julie Zeagler and Joan Meyer of Lufkin finished second in the Fifth Flight, while Lucinda Cowan and Margie Abernathy of Longview finished third.
Two of the five players who have pledged to play 100 Holes of Women’s Competition in support of the Breaking 100 program completed 36 of their pledged holes. Nannette Wheelis from Waco made three pars and a birdie in the Second Round, while Chris Meadows of Plano made four pars on Tuesday. Wheelis has now played 72 holes in 2016, while Meadows has played her first 36.
This is the fifth time Crown Colony Country Club has hosted a Women’s Texas Golf Association Championship, including two State Amateur Championships in 2007 and 1989. This was the first year that Crown Colony CC has hosted the Women’s Partnership.
For more information about the Women’s Partnership and to see all the scores from both rounds, click here.
The Women’s Stroke Play Championship is next up on the schedule. Pine Forest Country Club is hosting the second-annual stroke play championship, where Kaitlyn Papp is the defending champion.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes