Price and Purdom Lead After Opening Round of the South Amateur
LOST PINES – Brady Price and Brady Purdom both fired a 3-under par 69 in the first round of the 2016 South Amateur Championship. The duo have a one stroke lead over Garrett Velarde and Austin Cotton, who sit at 2-under par 70. Wolfdancer Golf Club, southeast of Austin in Lost Pines, is the host site for this year’s Championship.
The Woodlands’ Price got off to a hot start with two birdies in his first six holes. Price gave one back with a bogey on his eight hole, the par three 17th. Price was able to keep his cool and he followed it up with another birdie on the par five 18th to turn at 2-under par 34. Price carded two birdies and one bogey on his second nine, to post a 3-under par 69. Price shares the one stroke lead with Brady Purdom.
Friendswood’s Purdom didn’t get off to the start that he hoped after carding two bogies in his first five holes. He tried to get it going after a birdie on the par four seventh, but he gave his stroke away with a bogey on the following hole. After turning at 2-over par 38, Purdom was able to turn it on. Purdom fired four birdies in the next six holes. Purdom gave one back with a bogey on the par four 16th but he was able to bounce back with an eagle on the par five 18th. Purdom carded a 5-under par 31 on his second nine to join Price at 3-under par. Price and Purdom hold a tight lead over five players are within three shots of the lead.
Garrett Velarde, of Houston, got off to a steady start with two pars on his first two holes but gave one back with a bogey on the par five third hole. Velarde was able to bounce back and card two birdies on Holes 4 and 5 to get to 1-under par. Velarde gave another back on the par four ninth to turn at even par 36. Velarde made two more birdies and one bogey on his second nine on his way to an opening round 2-under par 70.
Austin Cotton, of Austin, joined Velarde after carding a 2-under par round of 70. Cotton opened his round with five pars on his opening five holes. He gave one back with a bogey on his sixth hole, the par four 15th. Cotton bounced back with a birdie on the par five 18th to turn at even par 36. He wasn’t able to keep the momentum going and he gave the shot right back on the par four first hole. Cotton bounced back and recorded three birdies in his last five holes and joined Velarde at 2-under par.
Danny Simmerman, of Shavano Park, trails by two strokes after carding a 1-under par 71. The 2016 South Mid-Amateur Champion sits in solo fifth. Right behind Simmerman at even par 72 are Joseph Naffah, of San Antonio, and Alex Travanovich, of League City.
Wolfdancer Golf Club played host to the 2012 Texas Senior Four-Ball. The Arthur Hills design, which is situated at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, opened in 2006.
The second round of the 2016 South Amateur Championship begins at 8:00 am on Saturday. For more information on the 2016 South Amateur Championship, including complete scoring, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes