Vesely's Stellar 5-under 67 Leads Girls 12-18 division at Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship
PROSPER, Texas – Austin’s Kaylee Vesely leads the Girls 12-18 division after a stellar 5-under-par 67 Monday afternoon at the Legends Junior Tour’s Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship at Gentle Creek Country Club
San Antonio’s Justin Abshire carded five birdies en route to a 4-under-par 68 in Monday’s first round to lead the Boys 15-18 division. Two players, Colleyville’s Bryce McCracken and Temple’s Dallas Hankamer, are tied for the lead in the Boys 14 & Under division after carding 1-over-par 73’s in their opening round.
Conducted by the Legends Junior Tour, the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship is being hosted by Gentle Creek Country Club for the fourth consecutive year. The D.A. Weibring designed par-72 golf course is playing 6,994 yards for the Boys 15-18 division, 6,397 yards for the Boys 14 & Under division and 5,840 yard for all girls.
Vesely had an impressive eight birdies in her opening round. Her lone blemish on the day, a triple bogey on the difficult par-4 fourth hole was the only thing that stood in the way of a nearly perfect round. She had four birdies on the front nine, including three in a row on holes six through eight. She then poured in four more birdies on the back nine for an impressive 4-under 32 coming home.
Vesely, holds a slim two-stroke lead over Southlake’s Stephanie Lee. Lee started off her round almost as good as possible, making birdies on three of the first four holes. She had a double-bogey at the difficult par-4 12th hole, but followed it up with back-to-back birdies on the 13th and 14th holes. She birdied her final hole of the day to get to 3-under-par 69 heading into Tuesday’s final round.
Dallas’ Hailey Jones, two-time defending Texas State Junior Champion, sits in third place at 2-under 70, three shots back of Vesely. Carrollton’s Serena Shah sits in fourth place after an even-par 72.
Abshire, 17, played in the penultimate group in the Boys 15-18 division, starting his round at 10:39 am. He started out steady, making par on his first three holes, then caught fire, making birdies on three of his next four, including the 456-yard, par-4 fourth hole. He carded his lone bogey of the day on the par-3 11th, but righted the ship with two birdies coming down the stretch on the 15th and 18th holes.
His 4-under 68 leads the Boys 15-18 division by two shots over San Angelo’s Jeffrey Maciejewski and Frisco’s Blake Parnell. Both players recorded birdies on the first hole, but their rounds were different after that. Maciejewski carded four birdies against two bogeys for his 2-under 70, while Parnell recorded a bogey-free round to get to his 70.
Five players sit at even-par 72, tied for fourth place after the first round, including Chris Berzina, who had the shot of the day. Playing in the first group of the day, off at 7:30 am, Berzina hit a 7-iron from 170 yards and aced the par-3 fifth hole. It was the first hole-in-one he’s ever recorded.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, McCracken carded three bogeys in his first 10 holes, but quickly went the other way with back-to-back birdies on the 11th and 12th holes. He made par the rest of the way to sign for his 1-over 73. On the other hand, Hankamer birdied the par-5 second hole, but stumbled to close out his front nine, going 4-over on holes six through eight. His
back nine was much better, carding three birdies in a five-hole stretch.
The pair sit one shot ahead of Plano’s Davis Fritz. Fritz double-bogeyed his final hole for his 2-over 74. McKinney’s Alex Kopenhaver sits alone in fourth place after a 5-over-par 77 in the opening round.
Tee times for Tuesday’s final round of the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship are scheduled to begin at 7:30 am off the first tee. For more information on the tournament, or the Legends Junior tour, please visit www.TXGA.org.
For full first round results, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes