Darkness Suspends Second Round of Texas Mid-Amateur
BEE CAVE—The second round of the 2016 Texas Mid-Amateur Championship was suspended due to darkness at 7:26 p.m. on Saturday. Play will resume Sunday at 7:30 a.m. at Spanish Oaks Golf Club. The final round of the 54-hole, stroke-play championship will commence following the conclusion of the second round.
Colby Harwell from San Antonio holds the clubhouse lead at 3-under-par 139. He finished early on Saturday and posted a 1-under 70 that featured five birdies, including three in a row on his 10th, 11th and 12th holes. Harwell, part of Texas’ victorious 2014 U.S. State Team Championship squad, shot a 2-under 69 in Friday’s opening round.
“All of the sudden I found my bread-and-butter shot,” said Harwell, winner of the 2013 and ’16 Carlton Woods Invitational and 2013 Crane Cup. “I like to work the ball right to left, and I found that again. I’m comfortable over the ball and I can take a cut without worrying about the right side of the course.”
Still on the course when darkness halted play, C.J. Brock from Richardson holds the overall lead at 4-under par. The long-hitting lefthander has four holes remaining in his second round. Brock, the leader after the first round, made a birdie on the par-3 14th and elected not to tee off on No. 15 as dusk settled in at Spanish Oaks.
Also yet to complete his second round is Brian Noonan from Austin. He’s tied with Harwell at 3-under par. Christopher Wheeler from Addison and Kevin Doskocil from Fort Worth finished their second rounds and share fourth place at 1-under 141. Wheeler shot an even-par round of 71 on Saturday; Doskocil signed for a 1-over 72.
All three players tied for sixth place were able to complete their second rounds. Rick Sulzer from Carrollton, J.J. Wall from San Antonio and Josh Irving from Dallas currently sit at even-par 142. For up-to-date scoring, click here.
Once the second round concludes, the field will be cut to the low 54 scores, including ties. As of the suspension of play, 57 players were at 12-over 154; however, several of those players have yet to finish the second round.
During the afternoon wave of Saturday’s second round, lightning in the area created a dangerous situation and caused play to be suspended at 4:44 p.m. It was a brief halt, and play resumed at 5:33 p.m.
Stephen Paterson from Austin shot the day’s low round, a sizzling 5-under 66 that saw him hit all 18 greens in regulation. It was quite a bounce-back effort from the 40-year-old computer engineer. He shot 10-over 81 in the first round.
“I just wasn’t trying to push it too much today,” said Patterson, who finished ninth at the 2006 Texas Amateur and 14th in 2014 and ’15. “I didn’t hit it that bad yesterday. I just haven’t had enough competitive rounds on this course.”
Kip Guidry from Missouri City made the tournament’s second hole-in-one when he aced the 125-yard, par-3 14th hole on Saturday.
“It landed four feet right of the hole, spun left and disappeared,” said the 50-year-old Guidry, who had his 81-year-old father Kirby caddying for him.
Guidry shot a second round 78. Harwell aced the same home in Friday’s first round.
The 2016 Texas Mid-Amateur is the year’s final major championship and is open to make amateurs with GHIN Handicap Indexes of 8.4 or less, have reached the age of 25 by Sept. 23 and are current Texas residents. The TGA received a record 581 applications for this year’s event. The total eclipsed the previous record of 558 for last year’s championship at Royal Oaks Country Club in Dallas.
For more information on the Texas Mid-Amateur Championship, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes