Winans Holds Slim Lead at Seventh Texas Girls' Invitational
MONTGOMERY, Texas – Richardson’s Libby Winans carded a 1-under-par 71 in the seventh annual Texas Girls’ Invitational and holds a slim, one-shot lead heading into Sunday’s final round at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club.
Conducted by the Legends Junior Tour, The Texas Girls’ Invitational is being held on the Weiskopf Course at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club for the fourth time. Bentwater has hosted the championship five consecutive years. The 2015 Championship was played on the Miller Course while the Weiskopf course was being renovated.
The 72-player international field is playing the newly renovated Weiskopf course at 6,083 yards. Saturday’s first round had mostly sunny skies with 15-20 mph winds with gusts up to 30 mph. With several holes wrapping around beautiful Lake Conroe, south winds challenge players as they play the back nine.
Winans, 15, carded the only under-par round of the day Saturday, although it didn’t start out as she had hoped.
“I played the first couple of holes shaky,” Winans said.
She bogeyed her first hole, the 358-yard, par-4 10th hole. She then made a double-bogey on the most difficult hole of the day, the split-fairway, 12th hole. She was up-and-down the rest of her opening nine, carding three birdies and two more bogeys, but then things turned around on her back nine.
“I started making putts on the back nine (her front nine),” she said. “I wanted to birdie both par-5’s but only birdied one. I made up for it with a birdie on the par-4 fifth hole.”
Her bogey free back-nine included another birdie on the 355-yard, par 4 sixth hole. Her 3-under-par 33 got her to 1-under 71 and one stroke ahead of the field heading into Sunday.
Hailey Jones, reigning LJT Girls Player of the Year, and Austin’s Jensen Jalufka sit one shot back in a tie for second place. Both girls will be paired with Winans for Sunday’s final round at Bentwater.
Magnolia’s Ava Schwienteck and Houston’s Courtney Bryant are tied for fourth place after carding 1-over 73’s. They sit two shots back of Winans. Elina Sinz, Gurleen Kaur, Julia Gregg, and Taylor Mieras sit three shots back tied for sixth place.
The shot of the day belonged to Elle Fox of Copperas Cove, Texas, who made a hole-in-one on the 165-yard 14th hole. Fox, who started on hole No. 10 on Saturday finished her first round with an overall score of 5-over 77.
With a crowded leaderboard, several players will be fighting to be named the Texas Girls’ Invitational Champion and get her name engraved on the ‘Nez Muhleman Trophy. Muhleman has been a staple in girls’ junior golf in the Houston area for more than 30 years.
The final round of the Texas Girls’ Invitational is scheduled to begin at 8:00am off the first and 10th tees Sunday morning. For more information on the championship or the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www.TXGA.org.
Ã¢Â€Â‹For full first round results, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes