Jones wins seventh Texas Girls' Invitational
MONTGOMERY, Texas – Dallas’ Hailey Jones has won several Legends Junior Tour events since playing in her first LJT event three years ago right here at the Texas Girls’ Invitational. She captured that one event that she hadn’t added to her resume Sunday afternoon at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club.
The reigning LJT Girls Player of the year fired a 3-under-par 69 final round to finally win her first Texas Girls’ Invitational. Her five-shot victory was impressive, but she’s just happy to get her name added to the ‘Nez Muhleman Trophy.
“Ever since I played this event in 2013, my first Legends Junior Tour event, I knew I wanted to win this championship,” Jones said. “There are a lot of good players that have won this event so it means a lot to have my name alongside those others.”
Conducted by the Legends Junior Tour, The Texas Girls’ Invitational was held on the Weiskopf Course at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club for the fourth time. Bentwater has hosted the championship for five consecutive years. The 2015 Girls’ Invite was hosted on the Miller Course while the Weiskopf course was being renovated.
The 72-player international field played the newly renovated Weiskopf course at 6,083 yards. Sunday’s final round had mostly overcast skies with approximately 10 minutes of a steady rain. With several holes on the Weiskopf’s back nine wrapping around beautiful Lake Conroe, the inward nine played nearly a half-shot more difficult than the outward nine.
Jones, 16, started off her round red hot. She birdied her first two holes, a difficult par-4 opening hole and the 474-yard, par-5 second hole.
“I just wanted to stay aggressive,” Jones said. “After making those birdies, I knew I was one ahead, so I just wanted to continue to attack.”
Attack she did. She birdied the short, 313-yard par-4 fifth hole to get to 3-under on the day and for the tournament. She was three ahead of first-round leader Libby Winans after her third birdie, and then played her remaining 13 holes even-par.
After a first round, 1-under 71, Winans carded a 3-over 75 and finished in a tie for second with Kennedy Swann and Sadie Englemann, both from Austin. Swann fired the low round of the tournament Sunday afternoon with a 4-under 68 to finish at 2-over 146 for the tournament. Englemann shot a 1-under 71 to jump up to a tie for second place.
2015 Texas Girls Invitational Champion Anne Chen and Julia Gregg finished in a tie for fifth place at 4-over 148 for the tournament. Mikayla Bardwell, Gurleen Kaur, and Jensen Jalufka tied for seventh place, eight shots back of Jones.
The Legends Junior Tour will be at Tangle Ridge Golf Club in Grand Prairie October 8-9 for the North Texas Classic, the final ‘Open’ event of the year.
For more information on the seventh annual Texas Girls’ Invitational or the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www.TXGA.org.
Ã¢Â€Â‹For final results, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes