Breezy Opening Round of James A. Ragan Memorial Complete
CORPUS CHRISTI – Trenton Leffingwell and Jzeke Dukes post 1-under rounds on Sunday and sit atop the leaderboard in the Boys 15-18 Division at the James A. Ragan Memorial. Libby Winans leads the Girls 12-18 Division, while Connor Adams leads the Boys 14 & Under Division.
James Ragan was a former Legends Junior Tour Player that was diagnosed with osteosarcoma when he was 13 years old. Ragan started playing on tour in 2008 and recorded three top-25 finishes in his LJT career. The Corpus Christi native was a member at Corpus Christi Country Club and was the 2009 Junior Club Champion.
This tournament is set up in his honor and benefits his foundation, “Triumph Over Kids Cancer.”
New Braunfels’ Leffingwell and Houston’s Dukes made five birdies each in the breezy conditions at Corpus Christi Country Club.
Starting on No. 10, Leffingwell made four birdies in his first six holes, including the par-3 14th, which plays at 183 yards. The first-round leader in last year’s event, Leffingwell, bounced back from three straight bogeys by making a birdie on the 150-yard fourth hole, which played as the sixth toughest of the day in the Boys 15-18 Division.
Dukes, who also started on No. 10, made birdies on his first two holes and then added another on the 545-yard 15th. His 33 on the front was brought back to earth when he made a tough triple-bogey on the second hole. The 447-yard second hole played as the toughest hole in the Boys 15-18 Division. Dukes made birdie on No. 6, bogeyed No. 7 and then birdied No. 8 to get back to 1-under on the day.
Trailing the leaders by one stroke is Corpus Christi’s Billy Teichman, who shot even-par 71. Teichman, who is the current Junior Club Champion at Corpus Christi Country Club, finished third in last year’s event and has played in all three James A. Ragan Memorial tournaments since 2015.
Austin’s Jack Wehman sits alone in fourth place at 2-over, while John Keefer, Francois Jacobs, Jake Holbrook, Tucker Allen and Brian Garrett are all tied for fifth at 3-over. Jenson Rogenes, Holden Wisener, Dawson Ovard and Jansen Smith are tied for 10th heading into Monday’s final round.
Winans of Richardson holds a two-stroke lead over the field in the Girls 12-18 Division. Winans made a birdie on the par-4 seventh hole. Fort Worth’s Kennedy Pedigo and Austin’s Sara Camarena played with Winans in the opening round and each shot 5-over 76. Pedigo made two birdies on the day, while Camarena birdied the par-4 18th.
Frisco’s Brett Permann and Houston’s Zoe Slaughter sit tied for fourth at 6-over, while Grace Cassity, Savanah Snyder and Bentley Cotton are tied for sixth at 7-over. Denise Pan, Haley Vargas and Michelle Zhou round out the top ten and are tied for ninth.
Dallas’ Connor Adams leads the Boys 14 & Under Division by one stroke heading into the final round. Adams made three birdies en route to his 4-over 75 and leads San Antonio’s Joe Fontana by one. Andrew Spaulding sits two back in the division and is in third place, while Shoichiro Kato is in fourth.
This is the first year that Corpus Christi Country Club has hosted the James A. Ragan Memorial. The event spent its first two years at Palmilla Beach Golf Club in Port Aransas.
The second round is scheduled to begin at 8:00 AM on Monday, Feb. 20. Players will tee off the Nos. 1 and 10 tees again and the awards will be handed out at the conclusion of play.
For more information about the James A. Ragan Memorial, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes