Irving, Osborne Extend Lead at Texas Four-Ball Championship
Irving, Osborne Extend Lead at Texas Four-Ball
LUFKIN – Three weather suspensions during the second round of the Texas Four-Ball resulted in players on and off the golf course. However, one team never seemed phased. Joshua Irving and Will Osborne followed their opening round 65 with a blistering 10-under-par 62 on Saturday at Crown Colony Country Club. The duo is 17-under-par for the tournament and head into the final round with a nine-shot advantage. Jerry Hudgins of Tyler and Houston’s Michael Rice followed their first round 70 with a 9-under-par 63 to take a three-shot lead in the Senior Division.
Irving and Osborne began the second round right where the team left off on Friday. Osborne stuck his approach shot on the par-4 10th hole to two feet leading to an opening birdie. They followed it with three birdies, an eagle on the par-5 16th and a lone bogey on the par-3 17th hole. The round one leaders carded a 5-under-par 31 on their opening nine. The back nine followed suit. Irving and Osborne totaled 5-under on their final nine holes to post 62.
The Dunaway brothers played alongside Irving and Osborne and posted a low number as well. The Dunaway’s played their final nine in 7-under-par 29. Chad Dunaway dunked his second shot on the par-4 eighth hole. His hole-out complimented Lance Dunaway’s eagle on the par-5 16th. The team posted a 9-under-par 63 to move into a tie for second in the Championship Division.
Irving, Osborne and the Dunaway brothers totaled for 19-under-par as a group. Irving and Osborne said the group fed off each other’s quality play.
“We got off to a really hot start and then on the front nine when we were slowing down, they were speeding up,” Irving said. “We kind of kept each other at the same pace and fed off each other so it was really good.”
Irving and Osborne, who seek their first Texas Four-Ball Championship title, understand the importance of their game plan. They said a win tomorrow would only build confidence heading into next week’s U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship at Pinehurst Resort.
“Anytime you can win a TGA State Championship you’ve done something good,” Irving said. “It would be exciting to close it out tomorrow.”
Play was suspended with two parings playing their final hole late Saturday evening. The second round will resume at 7:30 a.m. with the final round scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Sunday at Crown Colony Country Club. For more information on the Texas Four-Ball Championship click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes