UH Cougars on the Prowl at Women's Stroke Play
KINGWOOD – The University of Houston Women’s Golf Team once again will have a strong presence at the third annual Women’s Stroke Play Championship. To be played just a few miles up Highway 59 from the UH campus at the Clubs of Kingwood, the state’s best amateurs are set to compete June 22-24 on the venerable Island Course for the third event on the 2017 TGA Women’s schedule.
Leading the Houston Cougars contingent is senior Megan Thothong, the defending Women’s Stroke Play Champion. If any player has dominated the event since its start in 2015, it’s Thothong. In addition to her victory last year, she also finished second at the inaugural championship. She said she feels no extra pressure teeing it up as the defending champion.
“I enter every tournament feeling that I have the chance to win,” said Thothong, a two-time collegiate winner and All-American Athletic Conference selection in 2015-16. “My goal is to try to beat the course, not the field.”
Thothong followed her runner-up finish in 2015 with a victory at Pine Forest Country Club in Houston last year. She carded rounds of 70-67-71 to post 8-under par and defeated Sugar Land’s Amber Wang by two strokes.
“It was awesome to be able to win some summer tournaments,” Thothong said. “A tournament is a tournament, and you are there to win.”
Thothong will be joined by a host of UH teammates at the Island Course. Also scheduled to be in the starting field are seniors Allie Anderson, who finished tied fourth in 2016 and fifth in 2015, and Yuka Kajiki. Additionally, Houston’s assistant Women’s Golf coach, Lucy Nunn, is set to compete in the event. Nunn finished eighth in the 2015 Women’s Stroke Play Championship. Last year, four Cougars finished in the top-15 at the championship. Nunn said she hopes for similar, if not greater, success this year.
“Our program has had great success playing in all of the TGA Women’s events,” Nunn said. “I think it is great that our kids can stay relatively close to their second home at the University of Houston and still be able to compete.”
Other notable players in the field include Brooke McDougald, a TCU junior who finished 18th last year, and high school sisters Chandler and Calynne Rosholt. Chandler tied for fifth place in 2015 and has three top-5 finishes on the Legends Junior Tour dating back to 2016. Calynne took runner-up honors at the LJT’s 2017 Spring Preview and 2016 Flodder Financial Shootout.
The 54-hole stroke play tournament is one of two major championships on the TGA Women’s schedule. The WTGA State Amateur in July and the Women’s Stroke Play Championship receive the most Player of the Year points of all the events on the Women’s schedule.
Also at stake are double points for spots on the 2017 USGA Women’s State Team Championship. This is the final year for the national team event.
The Island Course is one of five courses associated with The Clubs of Kingwood, located just northeast of Houston. The par-72 track features one of the toughest closing holes in the state. The par-5 18th hole features a split fairway with trees down the right side. Water skirts the left and leads to a daunting island green.
“We are certain the Island Course will provide a great venue for the championship and a challenging test of golf for all competitors,” said Scott Rosnagle, Clubs of Kingwood tournament director. “Our members and staff are excited and proud to showcase our wonderful club and to host the 2017 Women’s Stroke Play Championship.”
For more information on the Women’s Stroke Play Championship, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes