UH Cougars on the Prowl at Women's Stroke Play
KINGWOOD – The University of Houston Women’s Golf Team once again will have a strong presence at the third annual Women’s Stroke Play Championship. To be played just a few miles up Highway 59 from the UH campus at the Clubs of Kingwood, the state’s best amateurs are set to compete June 22-24 on the venerable Island Course for the third event on the 2017 TGA Women’s schedule.
Leading the Houston Cougars contingent is senior Megan Thothong, the defending Women’s Stroke Play Champion. If any player has dominated the event since its start in 2015, it’s Thothong. In addition to her victory last year, she also finished second at the inaugural championship. She said she feels no extra pressure teeing it up as the defending champion.
“I enter every tournament feeling that I have the chance to win,” said Thothong, a two-time collegiate winner and All-American Athletic Conference selection in 2015-16. “My goal is to try to beat the course, not the field.”
Thothong followed her runner-up finish in 2015 with a victory at Pine Forest Country Club in Houston last year. She carded rounds of 70-67-71 to post 8-under par and defeated Sugar Land’s Amber Wang by two strokes.
“It was awesome to be able to win some summer tournaments,” Thothong said. “A tournament is a tournament, and you are there to win.”
Thothong will be joined by a host of UH teammates at the Island Course. Also scheduled to be in the starting field are seniors Allie Anderson, who finished tied fourth in 2016 and fifth in 2015, and Yuka Kajiki. Additionally, Houston’s assistant Women’s Golf coach, Lucy Nunn, is set to compete in the event. Nunn finished eighth in the 2015 Women’s Stroke Play Championship. Last year, four Cougars finished in the top-15 at the championship. Nunn said she hopes for similar, if not greater, success this year.
“Our program has had great success playing in all of the TGA Women’s events,” Nunn said. “I think it is great that our kids can stay relatively close to their second home at the University of Houston and still be able to compete.”
Other notable players in the field include Brooke McDougald, a TCU junior who finished 18th last year, and high school sisters Chandler and Calynne Rosholt. Chandler tied for fifth place in 2015 and has three top-5 finishes on the Legends Junior Tour dating back to 2016. Calynne took runner-up honors at the LJT’s 2017 Spring Preview and 2016 Flodder Financial Shootout.
The 54-hole stroke play tournament is one of two major championships on the TGA Women’s schedule. The WTGA State Amateur in July and the Women’s Stroke Play Championship receive the most Player of the Year points of all the events on the Women’s schedule.
Also at stake are double points for spots on the 2017 USGA Women’s State Team Championship. This is the final year for the national team event.
The Island Course is one of five courses associated with The Clubs of Kingwood, located just northeast of Houston. The par-72 track features one of the toughest closing holes in the state. The par-5 18th hole features a split fairway with trees down the right side. Water skirts the left and leads to a daunting island green.
“We are certain the Island Course will provide a great venue for the championship and a challenging test of golf for all competitors,” said Scott Rosnagle, Clubs of Kingwood tournament director. “Our members and staff are excited and proud to showcase our wonderful club and to host the 2017 Women’s Stroke Play Championship.”
For more information on the Women’s Stroke Play Championship, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes