Cooper, Houston, Alberto Lead Women's Stroke Play
Cooper, Houston, Alberto Lead Women's Stroke Play Championship
KINGWOOD – Moderate conditions countered by tough hole locations tested many competitors at the Women’s Stroke Play Championship on Friday. However, Hailee Cooper of Montgomery carded a 5-under-par 68 to move into a tie for the lead with Hanna Alberto of Kingwood and Allen’s Julie Houston.
Cooper, a 2018 University of Texas commit, began her second round six shots back of the lead. A 2-over 75 in Round 1 was characterized by missed fairways and struggle to save par. Disappointed with her performance, Cooper returned to the range and took a lesson from Ron Herridge at Conroe Country Club. The late evening session seemed to be the difference on Friday. The second round for Cooper at The Clubs of Kingwood – Island Course proved seven shots better.
“I hit three fairways yesterday and hit 10 today,” said Cooper, Golfweek’s sixth-ranked junior girl in the nation. “Putts were just dropping.”
Cooper bogeyed the par-4 second hole; however, a birdie on the par-3 eighth carried her into the back nine at even-par on the day.
“I kind of struggled on the front nine,” Cooper said. “I was two-putting from short distances and I was like I need that one shot.”
Cooper’s “one shot” was an 18-foot birdie on the par-4 10th hole. She poured in another birdie from 30 feet out on the par-5 11th and followed with birdies on 14, 15 and 16. Cooper posted a bogey free 5-under 32 on her closing loop.
“I was trying to stay patient,” Cooper said. “We are all tied, so I am just going to pretend like it is a one-day tournament. You go out and try to win your group.”
The 17-year-old shares the lead with UT-San Antonio junior Julie Houston and Kingwood’s Hanna Alberto. Houston shot 1-over 74 in the second round after leading the field with a 4-under 69 on Thursday. She will have the chance tomorrow to be third UTSA Roadrunner to win a TGA event within the last week.
Alberto, a 2016 graduate of Kingwood Park High School, utilized her local knowledge in the first two rounds. The Sam Houston State sophomore carded an even-par 73 to remain at 3-under for the tournament. Alberto’s family is a member of The Clubs of Kingwood, and she said she plans to remain calm throughout the final round.
“I picture myself practicing and being relaxed as possible,” Alberto said.
The defending champion, Megan Thothong, is well within reaching distance to win back-to-back Women’s Stroke Play titles. She is solo fourth and two shots back of the leaders. Thothong sits at 1-under 145 for the tournament after rounds of 71-74.
Lucy Nunn, the University of Houston assistant women’s golf coach, is currently the low mid-amateur. She posted rounds of 74-76 and is tied for seventh place overall.
The 71-player field divides into three flights for the final round. Thirty-three players will compete in the Championship Flight, while Flights 1 and 2 will consist of 19 players each.
The final round begins Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information on the Women’s Stroke Play click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes