Randle, Chang Lead Byron Nelson Junior Championship
Randle, Chang Lead Byron Nelson Junior Championship
DALLAS – Jack Randle of The Woodlands and Austin’s Hanseung Chang lead the 18th Byron Nelson Junior Championship at Lakewood Country Club. Randle and Chang both carded 1-under-par 70s to lead the field by one stroke.
Randle, 17, bounced back from an early bogey on the par-4 third with an eagle on the par-5 fourth and a birdie on the par-3 fifth. He followed a bogey on the sixth hole with another birdie on the par-3 seventh to go out in 2-under 34.
Randle remained patient throughout his round concentrating on a set of notes from his older brother, and former Lakewood Country Club professional, Grady Randle.
“He let me know which greens were really tricky,” Randle said. “He let me know which certain hole locations on certain greens not to fire at and just take par and leave.”
Randle, playing in his first Nelson Junior, remained focus on his closing loop. His approach shot on the par-4 11th landed just beyond the putting surface and bounded across the cart path out of bounds. Randle double bogeyed, but said he tried to shake it off on the 12th tee.
“I was not going to complain about a bad shot,” said Randle, a senior at College Park High School. “I wanted to hit the same shot on the downhill par-3 and try to stick it and I did.”
He found the bottom of the cup from inside 10 feet on the par-3 12th and again on the par-4 fifteenth. Randle bogeyed 16 and finished with back-to-back pars to post 1-under 70 and share the tournament lead.
Chang, 15, played without faze as well. After bogeying his first hole of the championship, Chang birdied two of his closing eight holes on the front nine. He went out at even-par 36 with a bogey on the par-3 seventh.
Chang bogeyed the 10th hole, but followed with a birdie on the par-4 11th. After giving another shot back on 13, he birdied two of his closing four to card 1-under-par 70.
“My irons were kind of deadly today,” Chang said. “I think staying calm, being relaxed and having fun is the most key part of the game for me.”
Paul Gonzalez of Waxahachie and Temple’s William Paysse carded even-par 71. They are T-3 and one shot off the lead. Four notable LJT competitors, Tyson Dinsmore, Nathan Petronzio, Jake Holbrook and Luke Dossey, sit T-5 after rounds of 1-over 72.
Lakewood Country Club is playing host to the Byron Nelson Junior Championship for the sixteenth time. The players teed it up from 6,631 yards and averaged 76.8. The 78-player field will be cut to the top-30 and ties following Round 2 tomorrow.
The second round begins Wednesday at 8 a.m. For more information on the Byron Nelson Junior Championship click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes