David Bolen Leads West Texas Amateur
David Bolen Leads West Texas Amateur
LUBBOCK – David Bolen tees it up at Lubbock Country Club two to three times a month, but Round 2 of the 89th West Texas Amateur will be 18 holes of golf he will never forget. Bolen broke the course record with a 10-under-par 62 and leads the championship by five strokes.
“I was hitting iron shots real close and that makes it a little easier to go low,” Bolen said.
Bolen, 38, birdied his first two holes out of the gate and never looked back. He stood over a six-foot birdie putt on the par-4 18th green (his ninth hole of the day) to post 8-under-par 28 thru nine holes. Bolen found the center of the cup for a sixth straight birdie and doubled over in disbelief.
“When I made the turn I was having some difficulty on the first two or three holes on my turn side to try and get settled down,” said Bolen, a 2002 Texas Tech University graduate. “I made bogey on five which for whatever reason actually settled me down a little bit.”
Bolen’s par putt on the par-3 fifth skirted past the cup, but it may have been perfect timing. The Lubbock Country Club member followed his lone bogey of the day with birdies on the par-5 sixth, par-4 seventh and par-4 eighth to reach 10-under-par. Bolen left his look at 61 in the heart but tapped in on the ninth green for the course record, 62.
Bolen sits well clear of the field at 12-under-par but knows he must remain aggressive throughout tomorrow’s final round.
“I am going to keep firing at flags,” Bolen said. “There is plenty of good players that can put up a good number so I am going to have to be aggressive where I can and just try to get the ball in the fairway.”
Baxter Ward of Nacogdoches and the defending champion, Andrew Wyatt, are among the players looking up at Bolen. Ward and Wyatt sit five shots back of the lead after carding two respectable rounds of their own.
Ward, 24, added six more birdies to his tournament total of now 12 en route to a 4-under-par 68.
“I hung in there well pretty early,” Ward said. “My short game kind of saved me around the place and then I had a pretty hot start to my back nine and I started to hit some good shots with some good rhythm and tempo.”
Wyatt, 27, finds himself near the top of the leaderboard with 18 holes to play for a second straight year. The former Nebraska Cornhusker posted an unblemished scorecard on day two. Wyatt’s bogey-free 67 was highlighted by birdies on the par-5 first, par-3 second, par-4 fourth, par-5 13th and par-4 14th.
“I kept it pretty stress free,” said Wyatt of Midland. “It was just kind of boring golf and it worked out today.”
Wyatt said he plans to continue to keep the scorecard clean throughout Sunday’s final round as he seeks back-to-back titles. He would become the ninth player in history to win the West Texas Amateur consecutive years.
Mike Cotter of Albany and Mike Peck of Irving remain tied for the lead in the Senior Division. They followed a pair of 69s in Round 1 with rounds of even-par 72.
Lubbock Country Club’s Senior Club Champion, Patrick Pritchett, leads the Super Senior Division by five shots at 1-over par.
The Championship Division was cut to the top-47 players and ties for the final round. The top-19 and ties will compete for the Senior title and the Super Senior Division was cut to the top-6 and ties.
The final round of the 89th West Texas Amateur begins Sunday at 7:30 a.m. For more information click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes