David Bolen Leads West Texas Amateur
David Bolen Leads West Texas Amateur
LUBBOCK – David Bolen tees it up at Lubbock Country Club two to three times a month, but Round 2 of the 89th West Texas Amateur will be 18 holes of golf he will never forget. Bolen broke the course record with a 10-under-par 62 and leads the championship by five strokes.
“I was hitting iron shots real close and that makes it a little easier to go low,” Bolen said.
Bolen, 38, birdied his first two holes out of the gate and never looked back. He stood over a six-foot birdie putt on the par-4 18th green (his ninth hole of the day) to post 8-under-par 28 thru nine holes. Bolen found the center of the cup for a sixth straight birdie and doubled over in disbelief.
“When I made the turn I was having some difficulty on the first two or three holes on my turn side to try and get settled down,” said Bolen, a 2002 Texas Tech University graduate. “I made bogey on five which for whatever reason actually settled me down a little bit.”
Bolen’s par putt on the par-3 fifth skirted past the cup, but it may have been perfect timing. The Lubbock Country Club member followed his lone bogey of the day with birdies on the par-5 sixth, par-4 seventh and par-4 eighth to reach 10-under-par. Bolen left his look at 61 in the heart but tapped in on the ninth green for the course record, 62.
Bolen sits well clear of the field at 12-under-par but knows he must remain aggressive throughout tomorrow’s final round.
“I am going to keep firing at flags,” Bolen said. “There is plenty of good players that can put up a good number so I am going to have to be aggressive where I can and just try to get the ball in the fairway.”
Baxter Ward of Nacogdoches and the defending champion, Andrew Wyatt, are among the players looking up at Bolen. Ward and Wyatt sit five shots back of the lead after carding two respectable rounds of their own.
Ward, 24, added six more birdies to his tournament total of now 12 en route to a 4-under-par 68.
“I hung in there well pretty early,” Ward said. “My short game kind of saved me around the place and then I had a pretty hot start to my back nine and I started to hit some good shots with some good rhythm and tempo.”
Wyatt, 27, finds himself near the top of the leaderboard with 18 holes to play for a second straight year. The former Nebraska Cornhusker posted an unblemished scorecard on day two. Wyatt’s bogey-free 67 was highlighted by birdies on the par-5 first, par-3 second, par-4 fourth, par-5 13th and par-4 14th.
“I kept it pretty stress free,” said Wyatt of Midland. “It was just kind of boring golf and it worked out today.”
Wyatt said he plans to continue to keep the scorecard clean throughout Sunday’s final round as he seeks back-to-back titles. He would become the ninth player in history to win the West Texas Amateur consecutive years.
Mike Cotter of Albany and Mike Peck of Irving remain tied for the lead in the Senior Division. They followed a pair of 69s in Round 1 with rounds of even-par 72.
Lubbock Country Club’s Senior Club Champion, Patrick Pritchett, leads the Super Senior Division by five shots at 1-over par.
The Championship Division was cut to the top-47 players and ties for the final round. The top-19 and ties will compete for the Senior title and the Super Senior Division was cut to the top-6 and ties.
The final round of the 89th West Texas Amateur begins Sunday at 7:30 a.m. For more information click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 11 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...